Prop stopped.

On 08/01/2021 at 11:40 AM, JG3 said:

With a Rotax engine there’s no option to keep the prop spinning; it’ll stop and stay stopped very quickly after switching off at glide speed. In an 80kt dive the prop will creep slowly from one compression stroke to the next, but no way spin.

When deliberately trying to stretch a tank as far as I could a few weeks back I accidently uported the pick-up and the noise stopped. Zero fuel pressure, and no engine noise. Because I knew I was pushing it, strongly suspected fuel starvation I just let the nose drop to around 80kn while I switched to my other tank which had 30 litres.

Interestingly the prop kept spinning at 2800 in the glide and the engine restarted as soon as fuel pressure was restored. This is on a low hour 80hp with good compression, albeit a relatively fine pitched prop. Absolutely no doubt the engine was windmilling with around 900ft/min desent.

Edited by BlurE
  • Informative 1

The club plane I trained in had an issue for a while where it would stall the engine on roll out after landing, it was always a bit un nerving to have the noise stop, even though safe on the ground. They got it sorted and all was good again.

I don’t know if I would like the noise stopped in the air much,

maybe I should find an instructor and try an in air restart up high to experience it for real.

• Like 1

Try it, you might like it. It's a delightful feeling just floating along with just the swish of the air going by. It's almost addictive..... Focus on the airspeed for best glide and the plane will fly just fine.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, JG3 said:

Try it, you might like it. It's a delightful feeling just floating along with just the swish of the air going by. It's almost addictive..... Focus on the airspeed for best glide and the plane will fly just fine.

Are you advocating taking a plane up and simply gliding about for the hell of it?

https://www.recreationalflying.com/topic/37047-should-we-learn-to-glide-powered-aircraft/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-498619

Yeah, he switches off.

It's apparently a flying school video, meant, I'm guessing, to calm new students who ask "But what if the engine quits?"

At the point he shuts down it seems like he's on a kind of high, wide, right-downwind and so it's just a nice easy, continuous turn towards the threshold.

As viewers of the vid, of course, we don't see the runway until he turns final so it all seems a bit more magical than it really is.

(But we can get an idea of where the strip is by tracing his eye-line back over his shoulder.)

It's hardly an illustration of forced landing techniques since there ain't nothin' forced about it.

On the other hand, the video might be well placed inside the Oval v. Rectangle Circuit debate.  😉

It'd also be good for showing nervy pax, certain that aeroplanes 'plummet' when propellers stop.

There's no way that that's plummeting music.

Edited by Garfly

On 21/01/2021 at 7:23 PM, Garfly said:

"Immediately play this exact music through intercom.."

Music hath charms to soothe the savage beast.

Now smartarse, get that plane off the runway without the engine running. :busted:

• Haha 1

This appears to be a genuine engine-out/forced landing video.

In any case, I'd say it shows that all flyers need to have skill and confidence in low level manoeuvring.

(And, if you read the YT comments,  that we should be careful about want goes into our fuel tanks.)

Edited by Garfly

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/01/2021 at 9:29 AM, Garfly said:

This appears to be a genuine engine-out/forced landing video.

In any case, I'd say it shows that all flyers need to have skill and confidence in low level manoeuvring.

(And, if you read the YT comments,  that we should be careful about want goes into our fuel tanks.)

Great clip but gotta say I thought his turn onto final rather steep with engine out. Still,did the trick I guess...

Alan

You should only do in real time, what you are competent at doing. A steep gliding turn will result in a larger RoD which has to be allowed for. Many of these vids are in the showing off category, practised and maybe we get to see the best one. I place little stock on all but the ones which have earned high trust over a period of time..  Any forced landing that touches down on the keys has undershot. I'm not only referring to this particular one. It's a comment in general. "I saw it somewhere" isn't always good enough for sound flying knowledge. Nev

You are missing the point, Spacey. You are just lucky, NOT good.. Your aim point should be to enable you safely to make the runway or it's all a waste of effort. Always preferable to hit the far fence slowly than hit the upwind one at flying speed. You are expected to do the safest thing when in command of an aeroplane. Without the motor you can't precisely place your plane height wise SO you carry an excess of height to perform the exercise  to demonstrate your ability. I GOT IN OK  didn't I? doesn't cut the mustard.. It will in real life but you didn't do it in the most safe manner in the process and YOU will know that even if you choose to not talk about it. .  Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I've done my best to explain it. You don't usually have a plan B at the later stages so you maximise your chance of making the field SAFELY.  There is often no actual fence it may be a pile of large rocks or a field of trees or a cliff face. The point is if you are still airborne you are going faster. Nev

• Like 1

What does dump it mean. Are you suggesting that you push the plane onto the ground if you are running out of landing area. You will probably bounce and end up high and slow over the fence. Have to push the nose down and then promptly flare again over rough ground. Better to slip it before you get that far.

11 hours ago, Garfly said:

That’s about the time we will get if the 1500 comes in. He must have know the area well as when I had to do a precautionary landing checked out landing area whilst still had height looking for power lines and ground hazards. Cheers.