My medical certificate error!

Hi Folks!

I just got off the phone from CASA  to follow up on a query I had. Just as well I did,  because I think I've just learnt I've been flying illegally for the last couple of years!

It all boils down to the complexity of the medical certificate process  which I failed to complete correctly. I think it was an easy mistake to make and so am flagging it here to prevent the same thing from happening to other pilots.

Essentially on my last medical certification  I did the online portion of the application, printed out the form, took it to my GP, had a medical and then the GP sent a portion of that form into CASA, as required.  But there s another stage of the process where you have to log back into the system online,  answer post-medical questions and upload documents. I didnt do that.

Today I called CASA just to enquire why I had never actually received a paper medical certificate, something that had been playing on my mind this last year. The operator had a look online and saw my application was still open and incompleted... Lucky I checked!

I have two thoughts  relating to my error. First, I couldn't find anywhere where this process is clearly explained online. Certainly not on the CASA portal. If you're not with a flying club or training school or going through an actual  DAME,  its hard to get friendly advice or pointers.

I started a long and helpful discussion on this forum to seek advice at the time, but clearly still didn't get the full story. Geez,  I must be dumb! 

Second point. We live outside of mobile phone coverage. Every time I want to log into my CASA medical portal, they helpfully send me  a text message  with an access  code to my mobile phone.   This makes it really hard to do things. I have to call in,  and wait 30 minutes for an operator to be given a log-on over the phone. This whole online medical process seems unnecessarily complicated.  

Obviously  completing the med application is the priority for me now. Hope I can still dig up the paperwork!

Cheers

Alan  

Edited by NT5224
  • Informative 1

CASA don't mail paper certificates as far as I know, they email them and you print them yourself. The part you described having done is all I ever do. Once you have seen the DAME they email the certificate. Unless there is a problem. then they email you a letter asking for more info.

• Informative 1

7 minutes ago, pmccarthy said:

CASA don't mail paper certificates as far as I know, they email them and you print them yourself. The part you described having done is all I ever do. Once you have seen the DAME they email the certificate. Unless there is a problem. then they email you a letter asking for more info.

Pm

I didn't see a DAME, just my regular GP. He didn't have a clue but figured out there was a section of the form he needed to sign and return.

I was told today that I needed to go back into the portal to do more things before my certificate was issued...

I suspect it's different with a DAME who probably has authorisation to sign you off on the spot. I'll go to a DAME next time for sure!

I have been involved is system analysis and design since the mid nineties. It is obvious to me that many systems in place do not get scrutinized before being put into place. Like so much software these days we have systems that are over priced, full of bugs, not documented and not maintained correctly. Gotta live with it because all the folks with the appropriate skills to fix things are retired.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

When I applied for CASA registration of the RV last year I found after some weeks went by that two separate forms are required to complete the process. One form with parts Aand B would  to logical.  

• Agree 1

Well I recently obtained my Class 2 medical - What a palaver!!!!

I have been flying RAA for quite a few years, so had let my GA stuff lapse - decided to do my tail wheel endorsement. No reasonably local RAA training available, so went back to GA.

For the record- For about 30 years I have been a private VFR, Day Only, pilot, with no interest in obtaining flying privileges beyond this.

On "passing" my tail wheel,  a geriatric moment of elation overcame me and I decided to get my Class 2 medical, with a view to doing my GA BFR . Went on the CASA web site. Completely missed the opportunity/possibility to do the Class 2 Basic.

Did an on line search for DAM's in my area - phoned all within an hours drive - incredible range of charges - from $175 - $400+. Went with a the cheapest (the fact that she is a vary nice lady may also have had a bearing).

Passed test with flying colours.

Waited for CASA confirmation and waited and waited. About a month later, received a long letter from CASA telling me I had FAILED !! my medical - when I got over the shock and read through the whole letter, seems that the fact that CASA have known of my colour blind status, for 30 years (since very first medical) had somehow not prevented this bit of bureaucratic time wasting. Whew! I just had to agree to a restricted medical - Yep you got it - Day VFR ONLY - surprise surprise.

Responded to letter, agreeing to Day VFR restriction.

Waited and waited

Another month went by and I get a letter from CASA - insufficient information - they now require Cardiac Stress Test, recent eye/vision examination results and additional bloods (pathology)

Made phone call to CASA - because I had had an aircraft accident some 12 months prior and due to my advanced geriatric state (over 65) these additional tests were required. The nice woman I spoke to agreed, that non of this, possible additional health testing, is easy to find on their web site.

Took about another month to get all the testing done and get in to see my DAME - all good!

Received a letter from CASA about a week later  - passed medical with Day VFR restrictions applying.

The time to get to this point was absolutist ridiculous,  the cost prohibitive - Next time (if there is one) I will just do the Class 2 Basic

• Informative 1

It's easily done .  Just have at the top Page 3. of (5) and if t's a legal document sign each page. Pilots are supposed to be disciplined and methodical. CASA should set the example. NO confusion.  Nev

1 hour ago, skippydiesel said:

Another month went by and I get a letter from CASA - insufficient information - they now require Cardiac Stress Test, recent eye/vision examination results and additional bloods (pathology)

Wow - for a Class 2! - sounds like a Class 1 and vey surprised they would discuss it with you on the phone

So what was the final cost?

3 hours ago, NT5224 said:

Stupid question maybe --but what can you do on a Class 2 that you can't do on a Class 2 basic?

Alan

For the flying that I do - nothing! (that's why I was so stupid)

However there are a range of additional privileges for those that might be interested/have a need.

4 hours ago, Ironpot said:

Wow - for a Class 2! - sounds like a Class 1 and vey surprised they would discuss it with you on the phone

So what was the final cost?

Cost - well managed to get the additional bloods done under my annual physical (so bulk billed). The optometrist was so incensed by CASA's demand, that they did the eye test and results letter for free (lucky there) and the cardiac stress was $140 (I think). So all up  about $300 - not counting extra 3 hrs travel/driving and time wasted - oh & then there was the CAS fee $60, sounds familiar.

• Informative 1

I went to a DAME for a medical and it will take CASA TWO MONTHS before the will look at the DAME’s results and consider issuing me a medical. And about six weeks before they look at my RPL application. Seems they are understaffed with people who do the work. 

Ok just wanted to bring this up to date.

Just phoned Aviation Medicine. Nice lady helped me log on by providing code (I live out bush with no mobile coverage). I  found my pending application. My GP had actually gone online and entered my details for me. All I had to do was push one tab

'Agree' and my medical certificate was generated automatically!  So the trick is to go back online after your medical to push enter button to fomerly complete the process. I have probably  been flying illegally for 18 months because of this, but now I know better. Yippee -six months until I have to start the process again! 

Alan

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

• 1 month later...
On 17/06/2021 at 5:49 PM, skippydiesel said:

Cost - well managed to get the additional bloods done under my annual physical (so bulk billed). The optometrist was so incensed by CASA's demand, that they did the eye test and results letter for free (lucky there) and the cardiac stress was $140 (I think). So all up  about $300 - not counting extra 3 hrs travel/driving and time wasted - oh & then there was the CAS fee $60, sounds familiar.

For comparison, I just costed my Class 1 renewal:-

DAME              357.50

Stress Test      406.95

Eye Test.          320.00

CASA                  75.00

Total            A$1,159.45

• Informative 1