Is this the answer to keeping kangaroos off country strips.

SSCBD

25 minutes ago, Old Koreelah said:

Lots of alpacas are employed around here to guard sheep.

They don't work quiet as well as the people selling them will tell you !

As for Kangaroos ........Lead at high velocity is the only solution ! 

When I owned a gold mine at Higginsville in the Southern Goldfields in the 1970's and 1980's, there was a big mob of wild donkeys that roamed around the Western Goldfields Woodlands area, West from Higginsville, up towards Coolgardie, Westwards out past Victoria Rock and almost to Jilbadji Nature Reserve at Parker Range. They travelled down towards Norseman as well, covering a huge area.

I never saw any donkey in that mob attack a kangaroo, and I never ever found a dead kangaroo that looked like it had been killed by a donkey grabbing it by the head. I don't believe those donkeys ever saw the kangaroos as a threat.

I'd have to say if you let donkeys loose on an airstrip, trying to get rid of kangaroos, that would only give you the choice of hitting a donkey or a kangaroo, when you attempted a landing. 

Kangaroos are normally best got rid of, by regularly chasing them away, shooting at them, and by securely fencing any area that you don't want them in.

When they never get bothered, they keep turning up, knowing full well there's no way they're going to get chased or harassed. 

Unsurprisingly, 'roos are most fearful of panicky foot thump sounds, which is their aural alert, normally created by other 'roos taking off in fright. So a foot thump sound-making device looks the most promising 'roo scarer.

https://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2005/12/05/1515850.htm

Edited by onetrack

Isis Flying Club tried Chillie Spray on the grassed runway.  The idea is the roos don't like the taste and move elsewhere, and remember it as peppery and yucky.  Initially it has worked OK.  Has rained since, but still seems effective.  Will ask again in a month.

An interesting article I read recently, stated that 'roos have a very acute sense of smell - and they avoid plants with strong essential oils in them - such as ti-tree and other native plants that yield valuable, anti-bacterial essential oils.

Apparently, if 'roos eat plants containing strong essential oils, the essential oils kill the bacteria in their gut that they need to digest their regular choice of native vegetation. So they then get sick, and can die.

They apparently have the ability to smell the strong essential oils in plants such as ti-tree, and they give those plants a wide berth.

What is more interesting, even if their favourite native vegetation is nearby to the essential-oil bearing plants, they will give the whole area a wide berth, even avoiding the plants they like to feed on.

So the message is - plant lots of essential-oil vegetation along the edges of airstrips, and the 'roos won't come near the strip.