What do recreational flyers do?

Farmer, fourth generation on a family farm....crop, sheep, cattle, but also have been known to dabble in repairing/building computers, electronics etc. (tonight I replaced the DVD laser on the kid's Wii 040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif )

But volksy...you have to tell us what stereotypes you had in mind and if we fit them!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a blacksmith by trade, then started repairing busted earthmoving equipment in the mines back in about 1970, started driving a grader cleaning up around the work area, boss said 'good job, stay on it'. After about 3 or 4 yrs on them I eventually got good enough to be known as a 'grader operator' and have been on them since, most of it was final-trim on freeways, subdivisions, canal estates etc. now semi retired working in the Dawson Mine, still on the graders.

Cheers Davo.024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest nunans

I'm an Industrial Sparky working at an MDF factory, but not overly interested in factories and formaldehyde. The stereotype i hear most is the retired man, empty nester who's maybe more at ease with the idea of dying doing something he loves than due to the horrible illnesses that so many are struck down with so often..

I'm an Industrial Sparky working at an MDF factory, but not overly interested in factories and formaldehyde. The stereotype i hear most is the retired man, empty nester who's maybe more at ease with the idea of dying doing something he loves than due to the horrible illnesses that so many are struck down with so often..

We lived in Oberon till 3 years ago! I thought we turned the light out when we left!

Decided to be an Engineer at age 12, and 40 years later still am. Started with Electronics, moved to management and these days write software and dream of building something with wings...

I'm also a musician. Currently with the Victoria Police Band, and several years before that with Army Band Melbourne.

I'm glad to read I'm not the only muso around here! :super:

I'm glad I'm not the only muso around here! :super:

I do a bit of that too... do a bit in the church band and also help out the local school from time to time with an extra instrument at local events.

IT for 27 years from systems designer to Mangler, engineered a redundancy, retired, got bored, bought an Aluminium & Glass business, sold that, moved to the beach & now part time aircraft constructor & puppy raiser.

Guest Andys@coffs

RAAF as a radio tech, then defence industries in IT (something new every 2 years or so), commercial work around IT these days, at uni doing accounting....cause I can....

Car Mechanic for a really good local company, been doing it for 22 yrs ,but now after busting my arse for for about 7 years owner building a house and just finished building a plane over 4 yrs I'm wondering how the heck I'm going to be able to afford to hangar it at what seems ever increasing costs.

Started work delivering papers at 8yrs and worked in a cafe after school and with my electrician father on weekends & hols. Left school at 16 once I got a job in an office (after saying I would never work in one!), studied at night, saved and funded the next 3 years at Uni, worked full time and did a cleaning job after work and continued to study another degree part time by correspondence (this continued to the present) - so Theol, IT, Commerce, Engineering. Worked cleaning, catering, mail contract, teachers aid, Forestry, Aboriginal community, Lands, health, accounting, education, with road construction & water entertaining me for the last 12 years. I must be slowing up - I fitted all that in and still found time for flying. Now it's rare.

073_bye.gif.391d1ddfcbfb3d5f69a5d3854c2b0a02.gif

Sue

15 yrs RAF as an electronics tech (Beverleys and Lightnings), then in quality assurance for the rest of my working career. The last 20 yrs being a Metrologist (Metrology = the science of measurement) working mainly in the auto industry.

In the past I was also a sort of musician. Played bass in school band and later in a mod jazz combo in Singapore.

Did an apprenticeship as a motor mechanic, then did a degree in Computer Science, then a volunteer helping the disabled, then worked as a musician (Flute and Bass), then Computer Hardware repairer, then software engineer, then Business Analyst/Programmer working in Forensic Science, now working in the family business as owner/manager of Goolwa Airport, as well as a flying instructor, but I always wanted to be a Physicist involved in High Energy Particle Research! Maybe when I retire....

Royal australian Navy 25 years, qualified as LAME while in the Navy, Venoms,Vampires, Gannets,Skyhawks, UH-1B,Wessex31B, Seaking,DC3, then Department of Defence working on missiles, then manager of misilles sytems(mechanical), Diploma of chemical engineering(explosives), decoys and advanced missile anti aircraft/anti ship systems (supersonic). Currently flying C206 on photo/survalence 15-20 hours per week and doing Private Pilot Helicopter licence now.

Re; Flying Vizsla post

Sue - didn't you ever consider getting outta that boring rut and doing something different with your life??

Oh yeah, I guess I should have added part-time musician (is there any other type?) in my younger years. Had a residency at a reception house for a while. Played pretty much everything, none of it terribly well. Restricted to playing Bass at church these days - they have to be nice and let me play... 056_headset.gif.8e2503279a37389023f4d903d46b667a.gif

I'm an amateur musician too (keyboard in a band and classical organ). My flying instructor plays guitar. Seems to be a common thing amongst a lot of pilots....maybe something to do with hand-eye coordination?

Guest ozzie

Started an apprenticeship with Leyland Australia and switched to the General when LA folded working on special vehicles. Also worked part time with Steve Cohen building hang gliders then switched to full time building ultralights until the Thruster was certified. Also had my own car alarm company during the eighties.(had to pay the rent somehow). After the Thruster mess ended up in GA and more study. Worked at Camden and Bankstown and set up a maintenance facility partnership for 5 years. After this worked as full time camera flyer at several drop zones. This work took me to the Whitsundays and ended up sailing charter yachts doing day trips loaded up with backpackers. Also worked at Shute harbour managing the airside of the airport for 6 years. Did some management work at several island resorts before heading back to Sydney for family reasons. :( . Now have been working for 10 years importing commercial steam cleaning equipment specializing in health care and food production areas. This has been an interesting and rewarding job that has given me the chance to travel to Europe several times. have also had a few part time jobs to help fill the money gaps as well over the years.

Ozzie