What do recreational flyers do?

Oh Dear!... Where to stop?...I`ve done so many things!!!

Started my working life at 14, as an apprentice motor mechanic, ( I was also a part time guitarist in local pop groups )! By the age of 23, I`d helped my father create a sugar cane farm,from a block of scrub!... Been a Lathe and crane driver in a timber ply mill!... Delivered groceries for See Poys, grocery store!... Purchased my own sugar cane harvester and contract, then went into partnership with my parents on the cane farm.

The cane farm allowed me to do many things in my life, because of what`s called the * Slack Season *, which normaly, is from December to the following June/July!

Each slack, untill I started my AUF flying school, I went out and did something different, from prawn trawling in the Gulf of Carpentaria to gold dredging in the * Big River * of Victoria!!!

I no longer grow sugar cane and spent the last two and a half years of my formal working life, working at a local plant nursery, that my wife,Fran runs!

Now I`m renovating the house and just do what I want!.... Go flying when I want !!! 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Frank.

Ps, Sorry if I`ve bored everyone!!!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hongie, me too! No formal training! Still play guitar for my own enjoyment!

I have, Vanbasco`s Karaoke Player, Band in a box and Power Tracks Pro, programs, on my computer and use theses for my music backing!!!

Frank.

Crikey,

Someone should probably sort through all this and see if there are any trends. It seemed like a simple idea at the time...

I'm quite pleased by the diversity of it all I must say. From my experience over the years it seemed to be trending towards primarily those that are self-employed and IT-type workers. That said there seem to be a few IT folk, Engineers and Musicians (Wasn't expecting that one).

Keep 'em coming though - i'll try and summarise things when I get a chance.

The general public's perception (or the people I know anyway) seem to associate pilots primarily with Doctors and the more wealthy "I manage a range of real estate and mining interests" type.

I was an Automotive Detailer for 8 years. Working for toyota then Mercedes Benz. Now working as a Toolmaker(2nd year apprentice) for an Automotive OEM Manufacturer and loving the technical stuff.

The last 20 yrs being a Metrologist (Metrology = the science of measurement) working mainly in the auto industry.

I would realy like doing that. My work doesnt have a metrology lab and neither does the tafe i go to.

I reckon that at Natfly next year, all the musos get together for a jam

I am like a lot of people, no formal training, but a feel for music

I play blues, boogies and 50-60s rock and roll

Anyone up for it?????????

• Like 2

Primary School teacher. For the present at least. You'll probably notice I have bad spelling, however.Chris

As a primary School Teacher, I take it that you can sing?????????

I reckon that at Natfly next year, all the musos get together for a jamI am like a lot of people, no formal training, but a feel for music

I play blues, boogies and 50-60s rock and roll

Anyone up for it?????????

Out the front of the Recreational Flying tent would be the go

• Like 2

Did apprenticeship as Fitter & Turner (maintenance @ particle board mill) , caught the flying bug, learnt in a Glider (sailplane) got carried away did my PPL, studied CPL subjects (worked as part time garbo, to help pay) Got the CPL and started another apprenticeship (flying) IFR Twin, then AG. Somewhere in the middle managed an Auto Engine Reco Shop and gained a piece of paper which says I am an Automotive Engine Reconditioner. Also maintained an a Chook Egg grading facility, and have worked on gas turbine power generation plant. Driven trucks/tractors for harvest/seeding etc. Also bought farm in SA planted Grapevines at the begining of the drought, made some great wine and then managed to sell before we went broke! Moved to Temora this year! Now for the next part of the career!

Fly mainly AG these days as well as some RAA training, am in the process of my IFR renewal! (brain strain, not done for a long time!) Just Love to Fly !:thumb_up:

Printer by Trade, (you would never guess), own printing business for 20 years sold and retired on 31st March 2011 :rilla:If anyone needs info on getting their printing organised, let me know, and I will guide them the best and least expensive way to go about it. (Not an advert for printing....advice only)

Can't remember but I will ask the wife and let you know.

I have counted 12 didgeridoos in my house so I must be a Didge Player.

That would sound great at a jam session.:thumb_up:

Alan Marriette.

• Like 1

........................................The general public's perception (or the people I know anyway) seem to associate pilots primarily with Doctors and the more wealthy "I manage a range of real estate and mining interests" type.

That was pre RAA wasn't it?

Further to the above one of my didges is a slide didge where by altering the length when playing, the key and pitch changes so that I can make it sound like a very fast aircraft passing close by. That might make a few people duck for cover especially if I put out a radio call on my handheld that I was doing a low level run over the heads of the crowd.037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif037_yikes.gif.2082ee4b157a18e5ec01fc250b51372e.gif037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif037_yikes.gif.2082ee4b157a18e5ec01fc250b51372e.gif Alan Marriette.

• Like 2

then in quality assurance for the rest of my working career. The last 20 yrs being a Metrologist (Metrology = the science of measurement)

I think I recommended Civilization One by Christopher Knight which covers Professsor Thoms work on the Neolithic Yard and how that formed the basis of both Metric and Imperial systems (Amazon.com $12.21)

The other one that would be of interest is "Lost Technologies of Ancient Egypt" by Christopher Dunn (Amazon.com $16.50)

Dunn is an precision engineer working on jet engines, and has made a dozen or so visits with his tools and measuring equipment, looking at accuracy and rates of machining that we can't achieve today, and unravelling complex interrelationship of dimensions in the structures which repeat from site to site.

Guest SAJabiruflyer
Been doing that full time in my own business for 18 years now...and nothing much has changed in that time... still a lot of staring or watching the grass grow / paint dry.. waiting ..But in between I get the pleasure of flying to the jobs all over Western QldLyle

I've actually fallen asleep at a clients home once, I really, REALLY did not want to do the job onsite, had explained to the client that reinstalling Windows would take a long time and most of my time onsite would be sitting there, but they insisted I do it onsite. Several hours later waiting for Updates to download the client woke me up!! 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif ... along with various comments about paying my exhorbitant rates just to watch me sleeping.

45 yrs in agricultural science - plant pathology, ag chemicals research, ag extension, crop spraying, contract R&D, on farm consulting, and on the GRDC since 2005. My retirement 'job' is looking after a small RAAus FTF here in sleepy hollow!

happy days,

Am an amateur muso too, tenor saxaphone, wanted to take up bagpipes - wife said NO!!!!

...I played the bagpipes for a couple of years before moving to OZ. I will bring my practise goose icebob and gice you a lesson at Natfly...lol

Scotty :DJ:

...I played the bagpipes for a couple of years before moving to OZ. I will bring my practise goose icebob and gice you a lesson at Natfly...lolScotty :DJ:

Scotty, I think I can still play the Goose and Chanter but I don't think I can blow the bag up any more...I learnt to play the pipes when I was 15 and played them for many years...smoking caught up with me though

I was born before baby boomers were invented and I'm now a geriatric criminal lawyer (that's a lawyer who works with criminals in the criminal law jurisdiction).

I started my adult working career as an industrial chemist. I later went off farming in Victoria and then became a pastoralist in NW WA just long enough to lose my money in a drought and become adicted to flying.

Came back to Victoria and managed a horse stud for a while before joining the public service working variously as a ranger, fisheries & wildlife officer and maritime heritage inspector. 15 years in the PS was enough to trigger a major breakdown but I managed to complete a biol science degree and a law degree beforehand.

I went back farming for a while to recover my senses and then started practising law with a community legal service. I now spend most days appearing in court for people who can't afford to pay for their representation and rely on legal aid to cover the cost.

I think one of my clients must have found the waterpipe once employed by J170 Owner.

kaz 095_cops.gif.448479f256bea28624eb539f739279b9.gif

• Like 1

Hey Geunsey, there was a program on the tele a few years ago about a bloke who had an electronic didgeridoo. (he called it a cyber didge). He toured the Northern Territory and it was a hit with the locals. Apparently he could alter the sound of the instrument, record and playback over the top of a current tune/blow??. It looked like a tunable blackbox thing mounted to the Didge with adjustable knobs. Sounded great on the tele.

Just thought uou might want to know

Maynard