Lake Hume Crash

ABC is reporting that:-- Pilot was unlicensed, Student license had expired

- Aircraft was unregistered, registration expired.

- Pilot faces a custodial sentence

So.......we go from Bizarre to worse

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-01-05/jail-threat-for-27unlicensed27-lake-crash-pilot/3760046

Andy

You can't say Tizzard is backward in responding.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-01-05/jail-threat-for-27unlicensed27-lake-crash-pilot/3760046

Andy

I will be putting the pilot down for first place in the "Knob jocky of the year" awards.

This latest information provided by Andy, makes this a whole new ball game for the pilot involved. I better say alleged- unlicenced and unregistered(even though Steve Tizzard is quoted).I say all new ball game because even though he is already in the Sh#t.

Being unlicenced and in a unregistered Sapphire, is realy going to bite him in the backside. The best lawyer in the land is not going to get old mate out of this one.

pilots = risk takers.

I wouldn't say that, more accurately "risk assessors" that have a slightly higher level of risk tolerance than most.

Then again, I have friends who love to ride motorcycles real fast, but won't fly in light aircraft.

• Like 1

Can anyone recall what ended up happening to the bloke that got pinged for fly unregistered/unlicensed up near Cairns? Did he end up doing the time?

No, but I bet a lot of people are checking their filing cabinets.

I recall 20AA and 20AB of the act were mentioned and have a vague recollection that the charges stuck. Too many brain cells VB'd into submission to be certain. Might have to wait to see if iggygooglebot can dredge something up.

Certainly looks like it sux to be 'ole mate'....blink.gif.7ee21b69ed31ab2b1903acc52ec4cc3f.gif

Edit:

Disregard, found a newspaper link. He copped $17,500 in fines;

http://fw2.dailytelegraph.com.au/travel/unlicensed-pilot-kenneth-william-acton-flew-unlicensed-plane-to-airport-without-clearance-to-catch-commercial-flight/story-e6frezhr-1225787289321

• Like 1

Andy

Well he should be punished either way whether he was licenced or not and the sapphire submarine was registered or not, he played a foolish game of cat and mouse with the public endangering not only their lives but his own.

If he wanted to see how cool he looked from the reflection off the water he should have done if miles away from anybody. (or had a mirror in the cockpit)

As i said earlier Bob thought it happens to everyone else, well again that day his name changed to everyone else and not by deed pole or by choice but by his own stupidity.

All this beat up stuff we have done or some still do looks really cool right up till the point where it goes pear shaped.

Just remember it can happen and it can happen to you, food for thought next time you feel the urge to impress.

Cheers

Alf

Yep, anything that can explain the illogical actions would have to be considered

Mr Bogaard said he had not drunk any alcohol before taking off from his home airfield of Holbrook about noon...

"The police wanted to breath-test me straight away and I had to say ‘hang on a second, I’ve just drunk two litres of petrol.”

E10?

A blood sample was taken from Mr Bogaard at Wodonga hospital on Monday following his plungecrash into the lake near Ludlows Reserve that afternoon.

Acting Sgt Stewart Smith declined to say whether an initial breath test had proved positive, but said the processing of the blood sample was unlikely to be completed for four weeks.

kaz

In reply to my post #140 when i mean he should be punished I certainly don't mean a custodial sentence.

I think the poor chap has suffered enough with the loss of his aircraft alone and the embarresment he has bought on himself for his actions.

Suspend his future flying privelages for a year or two even though he apparently isn't actually licenced and a hefty fine.

Inprisonment if he is caught flying again during his suspension (a given).

Hopefully he has learnt a valuable lesson and we on here have learnt something from his actions.

Alf

• Like 1

Andy

As I said in Post 116 above. All did not look well re the registration (or lack of). Another GOOD reason to have up to date Rego info on the RA AUS website.

This can not be too hard to do I am sure. Even if the list was updated once a week would be better than once a year!

In reply to my post #140 when i mean he should be punished I certainly don't mean a custodial sentence.I think the poor chap has suffered enough with the loss of his aircraft alone and the embarresment he has bought on himself for his actions.

Suspend his future flying privelages for a year or two even though he apparently isn't actually licenced and a hefty fine.

Inprisonment if he is caught flying again during his suspension (a given).

Hopefully he has learnt a valuable lesson and we on here have learnt something from his actions.

Alf

It's all very well to think of a penalty you might apply Alf, but aside from Kaz's conduct endangering life, the penalties he faces are spelled out very clearly for all of us in the CASA regulations. We can see which offences are strict liability and what will lead to what. If people don't choose to read them, then go out and break them, it's all a bit too late.

I've often wondered how many pilots have read and understood CAR and CAO documents, the documents they are required to abide by.

There is no way that a person flying (uncertificated) in a non-registered aircraft could be as some fault of RAAus. That is a relief in itself. The breach of the law would be of Strict Liability, so there would be no discretion as to the penalty. Without getting into the pro's and con's, things have to be changed because you are looking at a serious amount of money.

A very wealthy person can easily pay a fine. It has a more severe impact on a person of limited means. If we only consider the deterent effect there is no equivalence.

This guy really stacked the odds against himself. If you gamble it's good idea to be able to afford to lose, unless you can guarantee a win, then it's not a gamble. Nev

Hi All,

I haven't read all the posts so I may be repeating this info. (sorry) The President has approved a press release so I can report it here. "The registration of the aircraft in question had expired some time ago. The Pilots membership and licence had also expired some time ago. This accident has nothing to do with RA-Aus and will not be investigated by RA-Aus"

Cheers

John McK

• Like 5

Guest Crezzi
I recall 20AA and 20AB of the act were mentioned and have a vague recollection that the charges stuck. Too many brain cells VB'd into submission to be certain. Might have to wait to see if iggygooglebot can dredge something up.Certainly looks like it sux to be 'ole mate'....blink.gif.7ee21b69ed31ab2b1903acc52ec4cc3f.gif

Edit:

Disregard, found a newspaper link. He copped $17,500 in fines;

http://fw2.dailytelegraph.com.au/travel/unlicensed-pilot-kenneth-william-acton-flew-unlicensed-plane-to-airport-without-clearance-to-catch-commercial-flight/story-e6frezhr-1225787289321

Those with a long memory might recall this guy being jailed though - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2004-04-06/flying-instructor-jailed-over-ultralight-stunt/165324

Cheers

John

I wouldn't say that, more accurately "risk assessors" that have a slightly higher level of risk tolerance than most.Then again, I have friends who love to ride motorcycles real fast, but won't fly in light aircraft.

When I was instructing there was a guy from Cairns, coming here learning to fly ....He`d turn up on this great big road bike that he`d brought over from England with him.....I`d hear him coming long before he got here and I`d hear the roar of the bike for quite a while after he left...I wasn`t woried about his flying,he was quite skillfull but I didn`t like his chances on that bike.

One day, on his way home 094_busted.gif.ae638bd7cbc787b7b31a16c9b8b3a6b4.gif a cop pulled him up for speeding, ( He told me he was doing 170 to 180 klm phr )..... The copper asked him why he was speeding, he said to the cop, ( His words not mine ) ," What do you mean, I`m speeding? This bike is capable of 300 klm phr "!.....Copper wasn`t impressed.

Havn`t seen him for quite a while, but to my knowledge, he`s currently building his third aircraft.......No! He hasn`t crashed the other two, nor the bike.

Hey, D....If you`re reading this, G`Day and how`s the aircraft going?

Frank.

Geez I wish I was "Holier than thour" as some of you guys. The guy has made a mistake, a BIG mistake. Nobody was injured thank goodness except him. Sharing a cell with Bubba for the next 2 years is not appropriate. Sure ban him from flying for a length of time. We dont know his prior record. This could be the first mistake he's ever made. We all deserve a second chance. From what im hearing anyway, any person with a two year or less sentence will spend it at home on home detention. The guy has suffered enough since the accident and will beat himself up about it for the rest of his life im sure. As others have mentioned here, we all make mistakes. Some are bigger and sillier than others but it could be you at any time facing the magistrate. Put it in to perspective.

RAAus should be jumping on this with the media putting the organisation in a positive light. How not to gain your wings!

Scotty

• Like 1

Why are we still looking for an excuse?The guy's actions in two locations were deliberate, the beat up and turn around the boat clearly shown in the phone photos.

Sometimes you just have to face up to reality.

Ahhhh we live in the age of innocence and excuse, magnified by the moly codling of an over tolerant generation, more inclined to dismiss and dilute rather than discipline and punish.... All of us left to opine and judge but not act to resolve or improve. Such the lot of an affluent generation not forced to face the pain of reality in life's firm but fair natural path. Right on turbo.

Guest Andys@coffs

Heres an example where a guy gets caught drink driving for the 11th time http://www.camdenadvertiser.com.au/news/local/news/general/to-jail-caught-11-times/2399266.aspx.......he gets 16months which is 12 months with parole.....If that is what you get for that degree of stupidity then Ole Mate might well argue that 2 years is appropriate after he gets caught a bakers dozen times

But I keep forgeting that everyone drives and almost everyone doesnt fly

Andy

The guy has made a mistake, a BIG mistake. Nobody was injured thank goodness except him. Sharing a cell with Bubba for the next 2 years is not appropriate. Scotty

Agree completely!....Take a look at the carnage on our roads!.....How many people are sent to jail ?......Appart from anything else, jail is a huge burden on the tax payer and I`m one of the tax payers!

Frank.

Ps, A little compassion may be more appropiate!

• Like 1