3 onboard an Ultralight

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There only appears to be more RAAus incidents recently, as it's only the "ultralight" aircraft incidents being reported. Did you know a GA Airvan crashed at bankstown this week?

A Cirrus SR22 undershot a runway at Warnervale and was written off on Christmas day, but this slipped under the media radar too.

Guest Andys@coffs

Perhaps this is what the 95.10 crowd have been saying, As our membership grows then so too must the proportion of incidents which are attributed to our fleet. Will it get to the point where our success from a growth perspective is a media problem? If it gets to the point where Joe Public demand that polly's "do something" and that results in political interference at the CASA level then I guess its not out of the realms of the possible...

The last time I recall Joe Public making demands was to ban jumps racing in Victoria after a series of cruel horse accidents.

These incidents won't be doing our professional status any good, and I can see much closer scrutiny from all sorts of people when you read about a young child being carried illegally and unrestrained (that happens in car accidents too, but it's the news factor that galvanises the public to act)

CASA can't just stand back and scratch its collective ear.

However, the big drivers are public liability claims (this would be one) where the participants become poor and the insurance companies jack up the rates to cover the multi million dollar payouts, thus financially squeezing the more responsible participants out of their industry.

As Kaz mentioned again this one may involve a prison term, and if so, following on the Hume dam incident you can pretty much guarantee a lot of old crap will come on the market, and a lot of the free spirits will depart for some other adrenaline rush with less rules.

With the (published) register 12 months out of date, we can't be sure that the aircraft has not been re registered in the meantime. I emailed the RAA CEO and Office a month or two back re out of date info (register amongst other things) on the web site and have YET to receive a REPLY. It's making the new RPL look better.

Cheers

Just my 2cents worth, has anyone got any evidance of RAA followup of all those cancelled rego's? If not then it could happen that all of them are still flying now wouldn't that look bad and be bad for the organisation?

The fact that the aircraft rego list is so out of date is more than just slack it shows that RAA are makinging it a lower priority, should thay?

Bob.

Again... IMO... and this adds weight... there is a problem with Operations. 3500 aircraft...10 000 members... 1x Ops Manager, 1xAsssistant and a few volunteers does not make an operations department. IMO. Not for the sort of commercial organization and aircraft being flown as Ultralights these days.

• Like 4

Interesting to note that of the 'cancelled registrations ', some 95% of non renewals have been since the year 2000 , with a significant increase around the time of the GFC . Does'nt this seem inordinately high ?. One does wonder how many of are still operating out of private/farm strips etc.

Bob

Table 2a. Registration cancellations since 1986 — year cancelled

At 31 January 2011 a total of 1090 aircraft registrations have been cancelled in the RA-Aus database.The following table apportions the number according to the year when cancellation occurred. A listing of these aircraft is available. There is also a listing of these aircraft according to the date of initial registration.

Year – aircraftYear – aircraftYear – aircraft

1986-99 – 53 2003 – 52 2007 – 99

2000 – 27 2004 – 73 2008 – 164

2001 – 40 2005 – 94 2009 – 180

2002 – 54 2006 – 115 2010 – 139

Hi,

winsor, I must agree with you about RAA under staffing, this may be a bigger problem than we understand, you can only run for so long with staff shortages before the cracks start appearing. More staff would give all members more support,that is physical, advertorial and other like fly-in's, more support, more members.

I also think that the staff at RAA are not computer savy, for example when Ian does an update you see the "update in progress" on the web site, on the RAA web site I have never seen that. sounds like RAA HQ needs to either send a staff member to TAFE or employ someone with much more than basic computer skills. We hear about the upgrade of the site but how big is/was this upgrade, even someone part time would make a hugh difference, just one less problem needing fixing.

I know I hear this a lot, go and help out, give up some of my time but that is a short term fix, what is needed is consistancy and growth of a paid employee/s. Yes I know that may include a price rise but i think most of us woud bite the bullet and pay a little extra to get better and more accurate service and support.

Bob.

Hi Turbo,

Too true but was that rise redirected to another area/s of RAA and a "she'll be right "as far as staff is concered. I can not remember any word of a staff/company structure audit so may never been done, I feel now is the time to do that before more cracks appear that may be critical to the growth of RAA.

Hi,

You could be right FT however not knowing the current staff I could not make any comment but in it self is an issue, wouldn't it be "nice" to have a staff photo in the mag on a regular basis so you could recognise staff members, with the areas that staff member works in. Yes there appears to be a staff retention issue again not knowing the dynamics/politics internally at the office it is hard to form an informed comment about it. What is projected externally is a bit rough(not in looks guys/gals).

Guernsey, that sounds good but $10.000 would not be enough for what we want in IT staff, at current costs that about a day per week for 40 weeks at current pay scales.

To me there are a number of concerns.

1. Do not know the basics of administration - that is for example i register an aircraft then staff member A logs it in, staff B processes and staff member C mails out, I now know who to contact about a defined issue.

2. Aircraft registration lists should be up to date at the very least 1 month behind, it is after all just a data base.

3. Follow ups of old registrations, expired, suspended and the like on a regular basis.

4. Mechanical how to's and technique updates, quality control ,OH&S and the like. Just a few random articles in the mag, no concerted effort of these subjects. Look at the how to videos on the EAA web site?

5. Incident/accident reports and evaluations of same published promptly.

6. Recruiting of new members and staff.

7. A consistant and approved by RAA of high quality promotional pamphlets and "on loan" large banners and other items that a fly-in organiser could either purchase or was given, so a constant image of RAA is presented to the public all over this country. I see very little PR work done from RAA.

Bob.

• Like 2

What?

For a database?

Why would you need anything more complicated than Microsoft Access and a small amount of training for the people using it.

I'm sitting here having loaded about 20 hours of equations into Excel and it's giving me instant and precise results, which have to turn into production vehicles (and Bruce, you're going to have to lose weight with the new regs)

• Like 1