Bump tolerence

AS a single seat Thruster owner I found myself back at the begining.

Like a new licenced pilot/aircraft owner, back to getting up 2 hours before sun up,checking the wind sock and dragging the old girl out in the dark,then if the socks not moving and 15 mins before sun up ,,its time to fly...fly for a 1/2 or so and then ..whats that,,was that a bump? im outer here and pack up for the day...yep remember them days?

so in a minimum single seat aircraft that was built back in the day .one must slowly built up "bump tolerence" again.

hmm but how much wind can this thing really handle? do I want to push it? am I pushing it behond? all those questions..so my question is )as read recently in article in our mag,,do you avoide it?like some do even in HP aircraft,or Like me push it antill the ground looks very welcoming? nothing wrong with being afraid,it keeps you on your toes...now its almost sun up so time for a quick flight. oh hang on whats that?,I think I sore the wind sock move? better put her back in the shed....lol so lets here all your turbulant stories...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard it a few times and read it a bit , in reference to a bumpy ride the words "unless you like that sort of thing"? wow pilots accually like being bounced around?

Can't say I am much of a fan.....but I was up recently with my youngest son (11) and it was a very bumpy ride. I asked him if he felt okay, and whether the bumps were too much. His reply - it's just like driving on a road filled with big potholes you can't see!

• Like 2

Interesting topic. I learnt on a skyfox gazelle and used to be paranoid about turbulence and rough conditions for fear that the airframe wouldn't handle it, this was because I had read about all the structural problems these a/c have had. Looking back I was probably worried over nothing. In my Drifter I can honestly say I enjoy it when the air is a bit choppy. Of course I would NEVER fly the drifter out of it's limitations or my own, but I love riding the thermals or on going aloft on a windy day and using it's energy to my advantage. On days like these, turbulence is just part of the game. I would be more concerned about the pilot who only ever flies in perfect conditions then one day finds himself in unfamiliar territory, say on the way home from a fly in or something. Lastly, if you are worried that your aircraft isn't strong enough to handle turbulence, do you really want to fly in it???? *my two cents*

• Like 5

I would have one of the more unusual memories of a "bumpy ride"...

Years ago I worked for Channel 9 Melbourne, during the Ash Wednesday fires in 1983. They had run out of cameramen so I (camara assistant) was sent out in the chopper (Bell Long Ranger) to film the fires from the air.

Here I was, all harnessed in to the chopper centre column and sitting on the floor with my feet on the skid and camera sitting on my shouldter. At this point we discovered what "updraft" and "downdraft" were as we approached the fire line.

A bit of explanation about fires is that you get a SIGNIFICANT downdraft as you approach the fire from either side, and as the fire consumes a lot of O2 and generates a lot of heat you get a SIGNIFICANT updraft directly above it.

Heading towards the fire all of a sudden the chopper dropped, meaning I ended up hitting my head solidly on the roof (fully airborne and floating in free space), only to come crashing down to the chopper floor in the matter of a couple of seconds some 20 seconds later. As if to impress the point I ended up airborne again coming out the other side of the fire with a somewhat softer landing to the floor after that.... All this with the door open.

Pilot reckons we dropped about +/- 1000'-1500' initially in about 20-30 seconds (visual reckoning as altimeter not functioning properly due to transit within the pressure difference airflow)

Bloody ouch.................

• Like 1

Really large gusts and bumps are not fun. When you have a "G" meter fitted you will find that what feels a bit scary is not a lot of"G", most times. Having said that I encountered the most severe turbulence I have ever experienced, in a C-150. I had over 60 knots airspeed fluctuation without pitch change and the radio fitted to the rear floor went into the perspex window and smashed it, and the ashtray came out of the RHS door. the airframw made quite a few groaning /creaking noises and I really thought the wings would come off the plane.

Later inspection found it OK.

There is often no warning with these things, but of course caution should be exercised near mountain ranges with certain wind conditions, or if a front is expected through .

Your plane should be able to take it provided you are not going too fast, as that will limit the loads placed on the airframe. You should be familiar with you plane's turbulence penetration speed, stall speed for your weight, and the Vne . Nev

• Like 3

You did it a few times in your three holer too FH, I never liked the way it was all visual on the 727 with the parcel shelves spreading apart and creaking. The DC9 never used to do that, so I preferred it.

Guest davidh10

A few bumps are neither here nor there. I guess I have developed a level of tolerance. My tolerance has certainly increased with experience.

There is a level over which, however, there has to be some good reason to keep flying, because it ceases to be relaxing and enjoyable.

There's two kinds of bumps; Ones that are just up / down draughts that push you around, but don't jar your bones; They aren't bad. Then there's the kind that just hit all of a sudden, like "bang!" and you find yourself in a new attitude or hanging in the seat belt. These are the ones I dislike, but sometimes you just have to suck it up, unless it is becoming dangerous.

A few bumps are neither here nor there. I guess I have developed a level of tolerance. My tolerance has certainly increased with experience.There is a level over which, however, there has to be some good reason to keep flying, because it ceases to be relaxing and enjoyable.

There's two kinds of bumps; Ones that are just up / down draughts that push you around, but don't jar your bones; They aren't bad. Then there's the kind that just hit all of a sudden, like "bang!" and you find yourself in a new attitude or hanging in the seat belt. These are the ones I dislike, but sometimes you just have to suck it up, unless it is becoming dangerous.

That somes up where I'm at :Don't mind the up and down ,roll this way and that, but when I get hit by the "Bang" type I tend to head for the closest strip. But I always feel its beeter to be safe than. in the last week I have been up every day,4 out og 6 days I took off ,climbed to 500 turned 180 and landed,as I was hit by the "Bang type"(for those who've flown here ,you know it gets pretty lumpy here" .) it seems lately I can,t avoid it...

Guest nunans
in the last week I have been up every day,4 out og 6 days I took off ,climbed to 500 turned 180 and landed,as I was hit by the "Bang type"

That sounds like a particularly bad patch of weather..

There have been so many good days in April and May this year (we always seem to be working on the good days though).

In my few hours of flying i've found the best weather is early mornings especially after a frost or late afternoons and the safest weather seems to occur when there is a big high pressure system overhead.

That sounds like a particularly bad patch of weather..There have been so many good days in April and May this year (we always seem to be working on the good days though).

In my few hours of flying i've found the best weather is early mornings especially after a frost or late afternoons and the safest weather seems to occur when there is a big high pressure system overhead.

Yeh 3 out of those 4 bad days where first light and 1 was last light saturday was the first mourning in a month I managed a short xcountry flight in the thruster(the supercat handels No worries)manageged to leave at 7:15am fly a triangular circuit about 160kms ,mild turbulance(where exspected ) No nasties very enjoyable, but noticed out here at home strong turbulance as per ussual...

Now I noticed Im lacking a story! so my worst encounter was in my thruster, I took off during summer 27 deg 10"30 am, and noted the ground run felt a lil different and as soon as the wheels left (still in ground effect) I hit strog turbulance(thermal) as I climbed to 150ft I dropped like a brick felt my bum lift off the seat , lost 100 ft instsntly then before I new it I was pushed into the seat as I rose from 50 ft up to 700 ft,then "BANG" the left wing was hit very hard and dropped to around 40 deg and plane sunk again and while still sinking another "BANG" on the right wing wwhish dropped to 60 deg nd continued a fast sinking slip.I had full power still and shoved the nose down as the ground coming close, as the right wing was still down I went in to a teep nose dive with shallow right bank ,Then without a thought I set 3500revs lined the paddock i was over and started my approach (only flying 50 ft) I then regained my thoughts and climbed back up to 500 turned and landed back at my strip..all this was in front of the wife whome NEVER watches me fly.she was not impressed? 2 days later I took off at first light and exactly the same..could not believe it..I now call that paddock the devils paddock as this was not to be the last encounter in this spot...

Its a 400 acre burnt/stubble paddock backed to a herritage scrub with quarry. always has some wind devils run across it,..

It's a funny thing... Back in the early 1980s when I was doing a lot of gliding I actively sought out thermal activity. The bigger the "bump" the better! It was FUN.

I have never had the same degree of confidence in powered aircraft, even aerobatic rated ones. They just don't seem to be as comfortable popping in and out of thermals as gliders are.

I used to watch the flex in the wings of the Nimbus or ASW20 with equanimity. Now I watch the wings on the Auster and pray they won't try to match that particular trick as I bash through the summer bumps beneath the Cu's.

The Auster has. 36' wingspan and actually manges to climb at idle in a reasonable thermal, but it won't turn like a glider so it's hard to stay in the column down low. I occasionally see someone in a Kitfox employing the natural thermodynamic engine to good effect, too.

Kaz

Learning to fly in Goulburn, NSW and we're surrounded by mountains, hills and windfarms. It makes for interesting condiions and a still day is rare. My first solo was with a ~10kt crosswind and my first rec flight with similar grade of turbulence and wind. Another interesting fact about Goulburn aerodrome is that runway 04 has a permenant sink across its threshold... can be quite unnerving for those not experienced in that kind of thing!

Probably most interesting so far was in the C150 cruising along towards Bathurst at 6,500ft. I didn't want to go higher due to other traffic and was passing underneath a large clound... which then proceeded to vacuum me up at almost 1000ft/min! WOW! I was holding almost full down elevator just to creep back to my original altitude and it still wanted to suck me skywards. I tried levelling her as I passed undeaneath an after a few more upward buffets I was out of the thermal and back to regular flying, although I believe I'd still managed to gain a few feet despite my efforts to the contrary.

I don't really mind the bumps/thermals/gusts/winds at all, but obviously I try to counter them as much as reasonably possible and only fly when safe to do so.

Cheers - boingk

• Like 1

Had a discussion with a few of the students/aircraft owners at the airfield about VNO at our BBQ last Saturday actually. Instructor asked if any of us knew/remembered the VNO of the aircraft and what the maneuvering speed was (VA?). VA is best indicator for dealing with flying through turbulence I understand as that's the speed below which you can make abrupt and/or full control deflections if needed. There was a big difference for a couple of the Jabiru owners as VNO was 108 knots whilst VA was 90 knots. The Gazelle was a non-event as VA and VNO would probably only be seen on the ASI if the wings had fallen off.

Personally I don't mind a bit of a bump if i'm doing the flying. When i'm a passenger on flyaways i'm not so happy in the turbulence. My old instructor Mike (now retired) seemed to enjoy it thoroughly though - you could tell if it was a rough day as he'd have the hood/foggles ready for us. Most unbelievably draining 40 minutes of my life was under the hood on pretty much the bumpiest day i've ever been in the air. Just keeping altitude within 200 feet of instructed altitude was enough, let alone trying to keep the wings relatively level. Gusts had tail wagging like a dog at times which made keeping my bearing damn hard also. I'd avoid any situation like this at great cost if I was on my own but when I've got an instructor with quite a few thousand hours in Warriors sitting beside me i actually quite enjoy the challenge.

A few situations really concern me in the flying environment, Structural failure, collision and in flight fire. Most other things I feel you have a fighting chance if you are taught well, and don't over-react

In turbulence there are a few factors to deal with, but the main ones are to maintain control and not overstress the aircraft.

In VMC you can easily see what attitude you have, so " loosely" maintain it with gentle control movements, and aim for a mean airspeed roughly midway between stall and Vno, or the published turbulence penetration speed. These speeds vary with your actual weight.

IF you don't use extreme control positions you are unlikely to stall or overstress the plane by your inputs. You may have difficulty maintaining an altitude, so you may require some significant power changes. If you are in proximity to terrain you may even have to alter course if you are unable to maintain height, other wise do not worry too much if the altitude fluctuates. You may climb a few thousand feet with the throttles closed, but it is better to do that than overspeed the airframe trying to maintain it. If you are unable to maintain a level in a controlled airspace situation advise ATC. Nev

• Like 1

A few situations really concern me in the flying environment, Structural failure, collision and in flight fire.

I have to admit that these three factors worry me the most as well.

When the bump puts you at 90 degrees to the surface, and your headset is around your ankles, then I would worry about the bumps, untill then realise the aircraft is designed to handle a lot more than standard bumps. It may be uncomfortable but thats what you get for flying light and slow. I find that if I wash 5 to 10 knots off the cruise speed of the Xair (55kts) then the bumps seem to smooth out a bit. As my instructor says, september to april, not happy. May to august, armchair rides (paraphrased a bit)

• Like 1

I have to admit that these three factors worry me the most as well.

And me, guys. Except I would put in-flight fire highest in the list and follow it with collision then structural failure.

I have had the odd fright. Twice with aircraft getting pretty close - one joining the circuit the wrong way and the other climbing up underneath my starboard rear quarter... Scary

Also had a secondary wing strut start vibrating (resonating) furiously mid-air - I realised afterwards that someone had moved my aircraft in the hangar and must have pulled on the small jury strut that connects the main and secondary wing struts. It had moved about 6 cm along the secondary strut to the harmonic point... Very scary.

I do NOT need a fright from the third cause!

Kaz

Yes i agree with the above. I think BRS systems would make people feel better about the above issue. Or make them take more risks

yeh i've often thought if I had a BRS fitted I wouldn't be so undomfortable, but after readng so many BRS horror stories ill take my chances without a chute.The uncomfort or unease I have is due to being a bit of a control freak and bumps have a feeling of momentary loss of control,, thats what I dont like

yeh i've often thought if I had a BRS fitted I wouldn't be so undomfortable, but after readng so many BRS horror stories ill take my chances without a chute.The uncomfort or unease I have is due to being a bit of a control freak and bumps have a feeling of momentary loss of control,, thats what I dont like

I haven't come across the horror stories yet, but there appear to be quite a number of BRS success stories. For instance: