Space Jump

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Apparently he will reach speeds of up to 860km/h.....you would want to trust that the engineers and scientists involved in the maths behind the scenes more than triple checked the numbers!

7Mate from 11:20pm if the wx is OK.

Absolutely no sense of adventure from some. Please don't get a job that requires writing the rules.

I think it's a great adventure and wish HIM all the best. However, I do write the rules for my own survival. Don't want to sound like a party poop, but everybody has their own level of risk. To me the level of risk in some cases does not justify the result.

I can't wait to watch it...

I reckon it must be an amazing view from the start point...

Why don't we use huge balloons to lift space craft up to that height before firing the rockets? Surely, that would be cheaper and repeatable

I think this plan by Baumgartner is just terrific.

If all goes well, the website says that he will break a heap of records including the only guy or guyette to go SuperSonic during freefall.

What a great concept, and I can't wait to watch him succeed.

• Like 1

Granted this current attempt is higher but really just more of the same.

Lol! What does an adventurer have to do to impress people these days!!! The Kittenger jump was almost his last. IMO there is nothing "more of the same" about this, not withstanding that it has been done before.

I watched a segment on TV this morning. The spacesuit worn on this jump may be the next suit used by NASA. I still dont know how the bloke gets the harness strapped around his balls but.They must be massive.

• Like 2

What does an adventurer have to do to impress people these days

Not saying I'm not impressed, just saying it's basically the same jump 18,000ft higher - how is that not more of the same?? The way everyone is going on you'd think no-one has ever been anywhere near this jump before. Besides I'd say with the lack of technology in 1960 that earlier jump is way more impressive than this one.

• Like 1

I watched a segment on TV this morning. The spacesuit worn on this jump may be the next suit used by NASA.

Answer

When you think about it, there is scientific benefit in testing his equipment to make the risk more acceptable. Apperently people with low adrenalin go into high risk activities. It gives them the 'high' they need. People with excess adrenalin can get their high just watching the movie "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes"

If all goes well, the website says that he will break a heap of records including the only guy or guyette to go SuperSonic during freefall.

What a great concept, and I can't wait to watch him succeed.

It sounds crazy but I'm with you, I also want to see it succeed. His team must have been working on this jump for a year. I remember hearing about this at the beginning of the year. Plenty of time to check and re-check the maths.

Something similar was done in 1960 -
102,000 feet freefall. Granted this current attempt is higher but really just more of the same.

Kittinger reached 988 km/h. How close is that to the speed of sound?