Survival Pack

What survival gear do you ALWAYS carry on every flight?  

222 members have voted

1. 1. What survival gear do you ALWAYS carry on every flight?

• Nothing
    • Water
    • First Aid
    • Spare radio, phone, batteries
    • PLB
    • Food
    • Space blankets, sunscreen
    • Knife, lighter, torch, compass
    • Signal mirror

Guest Andys@coffs

For those that can remember a bit of high school chemistry look at the content of the tablets or liquid, and then look in your laundry cupboard.... You may well find that you already have what is needed just need to work out the strengths. (Bleach)

As an aside for new parents... Look at baby bottle sterilizer and then do the same look.....in both cases i wish the mark up profit was in my pocket!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those that can remember a bit of high school chemistry look at the content of the tablets or liquid, and then look in your laundry cupboard.... You may well find that you already have what is needed just need to work out the strengths. (Bleach)As an aside for new parents... Look at baby bottle sterilizer and then do the same look.....in both cases i wish the mark up profit was in my pocket!

Water purification tablets are mostly chlorine based.

Maj,I have got Aquatabs from Anaconda, but you can buy them online

Just google water purification tablets aus

Cheers

Bryon

What about your Whiskey Byron? Would that be a good water purifier??

Water purification tablets are mostly chlorine based.

What about your Whiskey Byron? Would that be a good water purifier??

I dont mix water with my Whisky

I know what fish do in water and I aint drinking that 013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Contents of my survival kit...remember I said I want to survive comfortably for at least two days and nights.

The items listed below fit into a single plastic box which is sealed with adhesive tape, and fits under one seat. Additional to this, also carried in the plane at all times is :.... GPS equipped PLB,... 5 Ltr plastic container of water,... Lt wt blue tarp, self contained small metho burner with tea, coffee and dried food supplies, plus 2 x sealed army two-day food ration packs, mobile phone, and 1 x LED lensor hi-intensity rechargable torch. I often will carry additional water, if flying over remote areas. There is always a lightweight Army-style flying jacket in the plane and one of the small belt cutters(mentioned in another post) is attached to PLB lanyard.

In 5 Ltr square plastic container :.......

Qnty of strong nylon parachute line.

2 x sheets of clear plastic approx 1 mtr square.

Lt wt woolen beanie that can be folded down over ears.

Small batt operated fm/am radio.

Small mag lite.

Small hand-held compass.

Small metal paniken mug.

I x army style can opener/spoon.

3 x packs chewing gum.

Small sealed jar of Vegimite.

1 x box long redhead matches.

1 x bic lighter

1 x small plastic match container with waterproof matches and striker.

1 x small box of regular redhead matches.

2 x sealed packs of AA batteries.

Small sealed jar of vaseline.

1/2 roll of toilet paper.

Small tube of insect repellant cream (inside toilet paper roll)

Small tube of zinc sunburn repellant cream.

4 x uncle tobys oat bars in ziplock bag.

1 x high-intensity military-style strobe light.

2 x 'Wherthers originals' candy bars in ziplock bag.

1 x cyalume stick.

1 x box 500mg Codien tablets.

1 x small Leatherman tool in belt case with two knife blades.

1 x Sealed space blanket pack.

1 x small tooth brush.

1 x box Aquatabs water purifying tablets.

1 x ziploc bag containing small misc items. (toothpics, bandaids, small salt packs, small soap packs, 4 x Aspro clear, 1 x pack vaseline impregnated field dressing, moisturizer sachets, ERSA emergency survival pages from ERSA.

that's it !!!!!.......................................................................Maj...014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Contents of my survival kit...remember I said I want to survive comfortably for at least two days and nights.The items listed below fit into a single plastic box which is sealed with adhesive tape, and fits under one seat. Additional to this, also carried in the plane at all times is :.... GPS equipped PLB,... 5 Ltr plastic container of water,... Lt wt blue tarp, self contained small metho burner with tea, coffee and dried food supplies, plus 2 x sealed army two-day food ration packs, mobile phone, and 1 x LED lensor hi-intensity rechargable torch. I often will carry additional water, if flying over remote areas.

Qnty of strong nylon parachute line.

2 x sheets of clear plastic approx 1 mtr square.

Lt wt woolen beanie that can be folded down over ears.

Small batt operated fm/am radio.

Small mag lite.

Small hand-held compass.

Small metal paniken mug.

I x army style can opener/spoon.

3 x packs chewing gum.

Small sealed jar of Vegimite.

1 x box long redhead matches.

1 x bic lighter

1 x small plastic match container with waterproof matches and striker.

1 x small box of regular redhead matches.

2 x sealed packs of AA batteries.

Small sealed jar of vaseline.

1/2 roll of toilet paper.

Small tube of insect repellant cream (inside toilet paper roll)

Small tube of zinc sunburn repellant cream.

4 x uncle tobys oat bars in ziplock bag.

1 x high-intensity military-style strobe light.

2 x 'Wherthers originals' candy bars in ziplock bag.

1 x cyalume stick.

1 x box 500mg Codien tablets.

1 x small Leatherman tool in belt case with two knife blades.

1 x Sealed space blanket pack.

1 x small tooth brush.

1 x box Aquatabs water purifying tablets.

1 x ziploc bag containing small misc items. (toothpics, bandaids, small salt packs, small soap packs, 4 x Aspro clear, 1 x pack vaseline impregnated field dressing, moisturizer sachets, ERSA emergency survival pages from ERSA.

that's it !!!!!.......................................................................Maj...014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Cripes Maj, I back-packed around Europe for a whole summer with less kit than that....006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif! Just kidding, but I'd be interested to learn the cost of your comforts in terms of dimensions & weight of the full plastic box, addit water, etc etc. cheers Riley

Guest Maj Millard

The plastic container as it sit on my table if front of me is 300 x 220 x 100 high, ( 1ft x 8.5 " x 4") and weighs around a Kilo maybe a kilo and a half. Five Lts of water in a small Willow water container..another Kilo or so ??..Other misc items mentioned ?...probabily another Kilo...............................................Maj...014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Now don't shoot the postman Maj, but someone's gotta let you know you forgot to fill the container... Our water's still coming out the tap at just on 1kg per litre...[ATTACH=full]20703[/ATTACH]

Definitely avoid the "heavy water" used in nuclear reactors. Use dehydrated water to save weight.092_idea.gif.47940f0a63d4c3c507771e6510e944e5.gif

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We have a similar kit in our plane major ,

plb .

Spare VHF handheld .

rashion kit.

Mirror .

small radio .

light ,

whistle

First aid kit.

Extra water depending on trip ..080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Guest Maj Millard

An update on my 'lightweight type water'....it's holey water !...so it simply doesn't weigh the same as non-holey water.................................pope.gif.f606ef85899745c40c103dff0622d758.gif 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

An update on my 'lightweight type water'....it's holey water !...so it simply doesn't weigh the same as non-holey water.................................pope.gif.f606ef85899745c40c103dff0622d758.gif 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

That would be soda water, they aren't holes, they are the bubbles Maj.

With the much-too-regular discussions about various incidents and accidents just lately I thought it would be useful for a moment to consider the aftermath of being involved in a crash, or even an outlanding in hostile surrounds.Most of my flying has been in remote areas and so I am very finicky about my survival pack and I always have it onboard even just doing circuits, and I believe for good reason.

A few years ago I went for a fly in a friend's plane which resulted in an outlanding about 10 miles from the Caboolture strip on a very hot day and we were very distressed for lack of water before getting to a road. He'd not wanted me to take my pack, didn't want loose objects, and "we were only going for a 10 minute jolly", so we didn't even have a mobile phone with us.

Not that long ago I went for my BFR and before we boarded I asked whether there was emergency water in the plane. The instructor looked quite amazed, "we were only going to the training area". I took my flask... bear in mind that the shock from a minor injury can kill you, or your passenger, and if you're in shock you need water to recover.

My pack only weighs about 2kg plus whatever water I add to it, usually 1 litre per person on local flying, 2 litres on XC, and my mobile is extra, carried in my pocket. It contains the following, it's more than most might carry, like I said, a throwback to remote area ops -

Water

Small trauma first aid kit with painkillers

Satphone (small, Iridium), cable and battery clips

Spare batteries

Handheld ICOM VHF

PLB

Peanuts 250g

Jerky 100g

Baitline and small handline (fishing)

Space blankets - 2

Sunscreen - 30g

Needles, thread

Small knife

Lighter

Magnifying glass - for 1st aid or making fire

Signal mirror

Small LED torch

Small orienteering compass

What does everyone else carry? I'll make this as a poll if I can, choose multiple items you always carry.

Blimey Alan,. . . . . . . Is your middle name RAMBO ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

In the UK, all you need is your mobile phone, and a couple of band aids, in case you cut yourself climbing out of what was once your pride and joy,. . . . . next time I fly in OZ, I'll take your list with me, OH, you forgot, Western Taipan anti-venom by the way. . . . . . ANYWAY, I always carry an ICOM HF radio, so all I've got to do is throw my bit of wire over a tree, ( With me trusty catapult I bought in Queensland of course. . .) and call DARWIN FLIGHT SERVICE on HF and get them to ring either the local Plod here in UK, or my Missus, who always needs to know where I am FIRST.

ANYWAY Wherever I've force - landed in the UK, it has NEVER BEEN outside of a 1 mile radius from a PUB in my life,. so all the previous doesn't apply.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One item people don't seem to have mentioned yet is a magnifying glass. I use a Frenel Lens. I've got an A4 sized one tucked into my map folder. Its a lightweight and made of flexible plastic, and is great for starting a fire if you've got a bit of sunshine.

If your going to be stuck over night, or stranded in cold weather fire will help keep you warm and also act as a beacon for rescue parties.

Just don't start it under your fuel tank...

Fish hooks and fishing line are also a good idea to take along in your kit. You might not be stranded near a river but birds will take bait on a hook just as well as fish. The fishing line is useful for all sorts of things.

One of those fold up bright yellow ponchos is also handy - it'll help keep you dry and will block wind, and can be used to make a bright, flappy "i'm over here" flag. It can also be used as a cover sheet for a basic still.

Depends where I'm off to really. If I'm on a well charted route with plenty of towns along the way then I won't take anything other than a jacket, ELT, water, my phone and my wallet. Done.

If I was going somewhere slightly more remote, where the chance of an outlanding being fatal was a real possibility, then my kit would be slightly more elaborate. I'd endeavour to make a small survival kit in a playing card or old tabacco tin, consisting of a few small things:

• Fishing hook & line

• Suture hook & scalpel blade

• Alcohol swabs x 3

• Gauze pad

• Clip ties & duct tape

• Small compass

• Small mirror

• Lighter

• Codeine tabs

That'd be a fairly comprehensive kit, and in addition to any other gear I was taking... usually a lightweight hiking hit consisting of a small backpack with Trangia cookstove, water, tent and sleeping bag for around 3kg weight. The survival 'pack' would simply go in a pocket of that bag, along with a pocket knife and any other items I was taking.

One thing I'm particularly fond of taking camping with me is a small glass-sided lantern and some tea candles. Good to read by and will heat a small hiking tent surprisingly well. If you *really* get into a bind the flame can also be used to help sterilise needles or scapel blades etc before use.

Here is a good YouTube video of a compact survival kit with some useful items:

- boingk

• Informative 1

Guest Maj Millard

In respect to my rather extensive, and well-equipped survival kit mentioned in earlier posts...

Two points I'd like to make from my personal perspective:...........

I once spent 3 hours laying beside a very wrecked Cessna 182, severly injuried, and looking at the prospect of spending a very cold, and scary night in open bush, with basically nothing but the wet shorts and T-shirt I was wearing. Although I had left the aircraft and walked about 100 mts, I was not capable of moving again after falling down, due to a severe back injury and internal injuries. I will never know if I, and another passenger would have been alive in the morning, but I think probabily not. Fortunatly we were spotted just before sunset by a searching aircraft, and instead we both spent a warm evening in an emergency ward. ( heavily in 'la la' land no doubt!)

I have also spent a lot of time in ultralights over very remote inland country, where it's a long way between drinks. You have a lot of time to just sit there looking down thinking, 'what if ??'...especially if it's the last hour or two before sunset, where you'd be pretty commited to overnight survival if you went down unexpectantly.

We have the greatest survival GPS beacon technology working for us now, and that will, and has already saved many flyers' lives. Am I a little paroinoid ??..you betcha, been there, done that !! If somebody is nice enough to be out there looking for me, I want to be sitting there as comfortable as possible, waiting for them to arrive !!...........Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

MM said: If somebody is nice enough to be out there looking for me, I want to be sitting there as comfortable as possible, waiting for them to arrive !!...........Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Your blow up doll is the no. 1 survival item. Fill er up with water before you go and you will never go thursty.004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Guest Maj Millard

I do like the way you think Sapphire !!.......problem is everytime I've been in the bush with a woman, the last thing I want is to be found !!!....................................Maj...008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif