Fatal Incident at Parafield...

ABC NEWS

Pilot killed in air show plane crash

Sun 17 Mar 13, 16:07pm AEDT

A person has died in a plane crash near Parafield Airport in Adelaide's northern suburbs.

The replica spitfire was taking part in a classic aircraft air display when it crashed into a fence on Frost Road just before 2:00pm (ACST).

Police say the pilot is dead.

Police have encouraged witnesses to contact 131 444.

More to come.

• Informative 1

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there at Parafield. I feel sick. I saw the Spitfire replica turn with wheels down and spin in. It is the worst feeling watching a fellow aviator go into the ground vertically. All I will say is Never Never turn for the runway tight when you are low and slow. I really feel numb at the moment. I feel for his family and friends.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative 1

PPRuNe Forum...

An aircraft has crashed possibly into the RM Williams shop (Frost Rd) at Parafield Airport after a slow pass with wheels and flaps down. Reported as a near vertical nose down attitude on descent after a stall.

Details are sketchy and will post more information as it comes to hand. Either way it does not sound good for those in he aircraft or on the ground.

+++++++++++

VH-VSF, Mk26 replica Spitfire crashed killing the pilot today at the classic fighters airshow at Parafield. The Media like normal have a small fact wrong at the moment. Apparently it was doing a "dirty" pass before stalling and crashing nose first. Info from people who are there at the moment.

Pilot killed in Spitfire plane crash at Salisbury in Adelaide's northern suburbs | adelaidenow

+++++++++++

I landed on 21R just minutes after the accident. The conditions were extremely gusty and it was difficult to maintain a decent profile or speed.

My understanding is the cause was a stall/spin turning onto final.

Sad indeed.

++++++++++

• Informative 2
  • Winner 1

I just keep seeing it roll over and dive into the ground. I think I need to get in my plane and fly soon before I think about it too much. As soon as he made the turn low and slow he didn't have a chance. The news will have a field day let alone the locals that would like to see the airfield closed.

• Like 2

To be honest, as bad as it was to see that plane dive behind the trees, I have seen worse, when a car hit a tree and the drivers head was hanging off. It's who is left behind I feel for.

A very sad day for the aviation community and for the family & friends of the pilot.

Here he was thrilling the crowd with his pride and joy only to make the greatest sacrafice to all.

For those of you who were there I truly feel for you all that witnessed it, but it is a reality check for us all that it can happen to anyone of us who defies gravity in the pursuit of happiness of flying.

Take care out there all fellow aviators, fly disclipined and fly safe.

As we have seen over the recent months quite a few of our brothers and sisters have bought the farm, and it can happen to anyone so don't think your infallable.

Alf

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Tacked onto the bottom of the news article on the 7 news Adelaide web site about plane crash @ Parafield..

WAS:

Meanwhile two 65-year-old men have been injured in a light plane crash near the southern end of Queensland's Fraser Island.

Was that today also?

EDIT:-

found rest of article:

Meanwhile two 65-year-old men have been injured in a light plane crash near the southern end of Queensland's Fraser Island.

Authorities say the aircraft crashed just after takeoff from Rainbow Beach airport at noon (AEST).

One man sustained head and leg injuries and was flown by helicopter to Nambour Hospital on the Sunshine Coast.

The other had minor injuries and was treated at the scene by ambulance.

The cause of the crash is being investigated.

Sad day.....

Keith

• Caution 1

It turns the day of fun to something horrible. Too much of this can deter one from the enjoyment of and the desire to be involved with flying, and I reached a saturation point some years ago when there just seemed too many I knew were going in.

All you can do is learn from it . That gives it meaning. I saw plenty die when I was involved with car racing, but aviation seems more dramatic somehow. A very sad occurrence as they all are. My sympathies to people who are associated with and friends of this chap. Unfortunately I know too well what it is like.. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I don't know if I want to go to an Airshow ever again. Watching the stunt guys today my heart was in my mouth. Before I flew I watched air shows and loved the dare devil flying. Now I fly I am worried watching them in case it goes horribly wrong. Today it went wrong in the worst possible way. We have the Barossa Airshow coming up soon and I will have to think if I want to go now.

• Agree 1

I don't know if I want to go to an Airshow ever again. Watching the stunt guys today my heart was in my mouth. Before I flew I watched air shows and loved the dare devil flying. Now I fly I am worried watching them in case it goes horribly wrong. Today it went wrong in the worst possible way. We have the Barossa Airshow coming up soon and I will have to think if I want to go now.

I know what you mean, my wife and I watched Paul Bennet at Evans Head recently pulling out of a dive and flying level with the strip about 20 feet off the deck. A lesser bloke could have got it a tiny bit wrong and planted it in the ground. But he doesn't and he didn't and that it why people keep going back to watch, it gets their blood pumpimg and reminds them why they are alive!

I know what you mean, my wife and I watched Paul Bennet at Evans Head recently pulling out of a dive and flying level with the strip about 20 feet off the deck. A lesser bloke could have got it a tiny bit wrong and planted it in the ground. But he doesn't and he didn't and that it why people keep going back to watchRankamature,

I think you need to rephrase (he doesn't) to he hasn't as yet, as many a great aerobatic pilot in recent years have got it wrong, Pip Borman and Tom Moon just for an example both very very accomplished aerobatic champion pilots paid the price through an error of judgment.

I am taking nothing away from all these skillful pilots who put their life on the line at every airshow they peform for us.

The Roulettes have had their fair of loss over the years peforming thankfully only in practice.

Alf

I understand you Alf, I stopped going to airshows myself for about twenty years. I saw the roulettes at the Amberly open day in about 1987, that was the last one until about four years ago. You realise you are twenty years older and you not going to get those twenty years back, so why not get your blood pressure up at an airshow,and admire the skill of those pilots who make the rest of us realise just how little we know yet.

• Like 1

Ive been flying out of YPPF for the last few months, today was my first proper day off in months, i received a call from the boys minuets after the crash but wasn't onsite. My thoughts go out to the family and anyone involved.

AdelaideNow Newspaper

March 17th 2013

A PILOT has been killed when his replica World War II Spitfire plane crashed between two businesses in Adelaide's northern suburbs, narrowly missing a soccer match.

Police said Roger Stokes, 73, of Monarto, died when his seven-year-old plane, a replica of the Mark XXVI Spitfire, crashed into a fence on Frost Rd, Salisbury, just before 2pm.

Relatives have been advised of Mr Stokes' death.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Aviation airshows or aerial displays tragedies always feel more personal and sad even though one personally does not know the pilot. My heart, feelings and condolences go to his family and loved ones. He went west doing what he no doubt loved. RIP

image.jpg.b810ed8247f8abd90f6aa80de0ad15ca.jpg

"While he was a Monarto resident, his plane was based in Murray Bridge."

That seems to answer my earlier question then, somehow I was hoping it wasn't. That's the second pilot who I've only spoken to in the circuit & in hindsight now wish I had met before tragedy later took them.

• Agree 1

"While he was a Monarto resident, his plane was based in Murray Bridge."

That seems to answer my earlier question then, somehow I was hoping it wasn't. That's the second pilot who I've only spoken to in the circuit & in hindsight now wish I had met before tragedy later took them.

a spectator is quoted in the newspaper as saying that a wing gave way........ anyone know anything about this?

Can any one tell me the engine horse power of the replica spitfire? It seems to me that they were designed for a 2000 hp engine, ie all engine, small wing, which would make them susceptible to a stall with a smaller hp engine going slow. Your thoughts?

Condolences to the pilots family...

I have a photo of the replica seconds before it spun in. Full flaps and wheels down. He flew a slow pass downwind and banked hard turning back to land. He must have realised he was in trouble and rolled back to the left. The left wing went down and must have stalled. The aircraft rolled over and went vertically into the ground behind trees. I still can't believe I watched it all happen. I feel so sorry for his family and friends. A person who had bought or was about to buy the aircraft was watching the display. The whole thing makes me feel ill. I think a lot of people have made statements to the media that are spectators and don't necessarily know what happened. Any pilot could see it happening even before the stall happened. Again my thought and prayers go out to his family and friends.