New Moderator

Admin

Hi All

As many of you know we run this site with Moderators who give up their time to help the site remain as a valuable, professional and respected resource by the recreational aviation community. The site maintains a style of management likened to the "Separation of Church and State" where an attempt is made to keep separate the Management and the Moderation...Moderators try not to influence the management and management tries not to influence moderation...this is evident when those darn moderators even moderate me 067_bash.gif.26fb8516c20ce4d7842b820ac15914cf.gif

This works well and provides for the checks and balances that is needed to maintain integrity of a site that is in an industry that attracts the traditional Alpha Male along with the enormous popularity that this site/resource has worked hard over many many years to achieve.

Traditionally we have had 4 independent, and anonymous, moderators although some time ago Ahlocks came out of the closet losing his anonymity as a moderator. One other moderator, who is in the Police Force, has had to focus more on work so this has left a vacancy in the moderation team.

So it is my great pleasure in announcing that a very long term user, Slartibartfast (Ross), has kindly agreed to join the team of moderators (yes, he is out of the closet as well).

For the first couple of years that this site operated, the moderation was left to me. For a further 5 years or so Ross was an Assistant Administrator and in doing so also took on moderation. So Ross is very aware of the trials and tribulations that this site goes through on a daily basis in trying to maintain a happy, friendly, informative and fair environment for all recreational aviators so they can have their say but at the same time be friendly, understanding and courteous to each other.

A note to everyone is that the role of moderation is an "extremely" hard one as you are ALWAYS "Damned if you do and damned if you don't" and there is very little thanks for the hard work that you do, so I am so very grateful to Ahlocks, Slartibartfast and the other two moderators for their help and support that they have given in the past and continue to do so for every one of us here.

Thanks Guys and welcome back Slartibartfast 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Although I've never met Slartibartfast he must be highly intelligent and a very wise person:score 010:.He owns a Morgan Sierra. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Alan.

.....and knows how to "Hitchhike" 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Although I've never met Slartibartfast he must be highly intelligent and a very wise person:score 010:.He owns a Morgan Sierra. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Alan.

Not sure Allan, I have met Slarti, Certainly was a nice bloke, but a long way from home, Monto northern Nat fly is a very long way from Canberra, obviously the Sierra is a very comfortable tourer. Steve...

Although I've never met Slartibartfast he must be highly intelligent and a very wise person107_score_010.gif.2fa64cd6c3a0f3d769ce8a3c21d3ff90.gif.He owns a Morgan Sierra. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Alan.

I'm sure you'd be right on both counts Alan, he seems a top guy to talk to, but not sure that he'll show many favours to "S.A. crawlers" when it comes to moderation of the site, just because you own a Morgan.

If if he didn't have the expence of owning his own well-known Cheetah, he could possibly afford a nice new hat.

Maybe one of the sites sponsors like Bolly, could send him one "Pro Bono"! (please)

I think the one he normally wears which seems to be a trade-mark of his, could be good for keeping both the sun, and flies away, as well as cheeky:ban me please: posters 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

( If you get too many hats Ross, there's always Ebay)

Hi guys.

Sorry - been up to my ears in sand, aggregate and cement all day - making up for Thurs - Sun at Temora.

Top weekend.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll be making a mission statement when I'm not drunk (tonight was basketball night and we needed to make sure we go into the grand final next week undefeated).

As Planey pointed out (real sorry I didn't make more time to talk to you at Wedderburn), mine is not a Sierra. It's the 4 cyl rag and tube Cheetah version, but has still got me to Monto for every event, and other far flung destinations.

Basically, I'm back and happy to help make this site better.

I especially want to tackle the issue where people feel they've been jumped on with a post, and decide to never post again.

Talk amongst yourselves and I'll post more about it when my brain is working - or when I'm getting paid to browse.

Well, what can I say but,. . . . hey Ross, congratulations for your promotion, AND. . . .. ( I know you will find this a bit hard to believe . . ) .I flew a friend's c-310 yesterday morning, . . .nothing horribly unusual about that you may think BUT. . . . it had a little sign on the dash coaming which said ( and I lie not. . .)

"DON'T PANIC"

And, ( obviously ) this made the flight a whole lot more relaxed. Being a ( part time ) graphic manufacturer, I think I'm going to market these stickers, to improve the UK safety figures. Got to have a word with Curtail All Aviation to see if I need a modification reference number, safety analysis, risk assessment and mission statement. . . . Dyou think £3.99 a go would be a fair price ??

Nuff said.

Phil

Phil, you'd need to do a special version for the Oz market

"SHE'LL BE RIGHT MATE"

CLIVE. . . . CLIVE. . . CLIVE. . .

You obviously have not spent much time in God's country,. . . . . . You also need to add to your list,

SHE'LL BE JAKE MATE

and

SHE'S APPLES.

and

DON'T COME THE RAW PRAWN WITH ME SPORT,. . . OR I'LL SHOW YOU WHAT I CAN DO WITH THE ROUGH END OF A PINEAPPLE. . . . !

I have to admit that, even though I spent a decade and a bit more in and around OZ,. . . . . I never found out who "SHE" was,. . . . but no matter, the Aussies are a lovely, charming and benign emerging native race, not quite technologically advanced like us in the North just yet, but I'll tell you what cobber, they are starting to get there but ! ! !

• Haha 1

Hi guys.Sorry - been up to my ears in sand, aggregate and cement all day - making up for Thurs - Sun at Temora.

Top weekend.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll be making a mission statement when I'm not drunk (tonight was basketball night and we needed to make sure we go into the grand final next week undefeated).

As Planey pointed out (real sorry I didn't make more time to talk to you at Wedderburn), mine is not a Sierra. It's the 4 cyl rag and tube Cheetah version, but has still got me to Monto for every event, and other far flung destinations.

Basically, I'm back and happy to help make this site better.

I especially want to tackle the issue where people feel they've been jumped on with a post, and decide to never post again.

Talk amongst yourselves and I'll post more about it when my brain is working - or when I'm getting paid to browse.

Welcome back mate- no Cheetahs here!

I mustn't stick my neck out very far. After about 2,100 messages, I have only been moderated once that I know of. But that is beside the point. All good forums are good because, behind the scenes, there is a phalanx of fearless moderators, ready to pounce on rule-flouters and rude fellows.

Three cheers for the moderators and the volunteer work they do!

• Winner 1

I mustn't stick my neck out very far. After about 2,100 messages, I have only been moderated once that I know of. But that is beside the point. All good forums are good because, behind the scenes, there is a phalanx of fearless moderators, ready to pounce on rule-flouters and rude fellows.Three cheers for the moderators and the volunteer work they do!

ooooooooooH you bumchaser !!!!

Don't worry mate, the mods on this forum seem quite resonable to me, so. . .asso long as you bloody well behave yourself ( and don't disagree with me. . . ) and stop all that swearing, they'll probably let it by. . . . ( ! )

Phil

If I'm honest, . . . I have to admit that I've been asked on a number of occasions on various forums ( correct plural by the way, - NOT FORA - [colonial geeks] to be a Moderator,. . . . but I REALLY DO like to let a few people have a go,. . . . until it becomes obvious that they are removing the urine.

It REALLY DOESN'T take much intelligence to work out who these posters are,. . . . but you HAVE to give people a chance to vent their thoughts in print for a short while at least, before it becomes fairly obvious to anyone with a 25% brain that something isn't quite right. I can never agree with jumping down a new poster's throat just because he / she doesn't talk FLYSPEAK . . . .as we all seem to understand it, and this makes the job of a MODERATOR quite difficult in a lot of circumstances,. . . ie . . .do you allow free speech, ? . . . or strangle it. . . .??? a difficult one as I'm sure any mod would agree.

So I will be the first to remove my hat and bow to anyone who takes on this onerous task. If I was asked for advice, ( and my only practical experience is in the interrogation of terrorist suspects, and NO I DIDN'T SHOOT THEM IF THEY WERE FOUND TO BE NAUGHTY. { My Mate Nige did that. . . } ) I would say that some lattitude is a must,. . . .and then only pull the plug if it becomes fairly obvious that the new poster is a "Troll" ( where did that label come from I wonder. . .? ) rather than someone who has a genuine axe to grind.

Just a thought

Happy Easter, ( to all those I forgot to greet the other day. . . .still chomping on my chocolate eggs. . . .)

Phil

Dont worry about the stickers, just put in a "HOLY SH*T BAR " It also doubles up as a teatowel rack and a place to dry your undies.

Well Pete. . . . when we built our X'Air, ( Like a total idiot ) I suggested that we stick a mini aluminium heater radiator in the nose, and feed it from the Rotax 582 Blue top, this way, at least we could fly without freezing to death in the winter months ( in the UK, that's MOST of the year ) well,. . . we put a little 12 volt fan 120mm diameter behind the rad, had the mod approved by the BMAA, and then found in operation that it DIDN'T work, . v . .why ? because the poor engine had enough trouble keeping ITSELF warm,. . .let alone the pipework and radiator in the cockpit. . . and it just WOULDN'T come up to the correct temperature, even with a fence in front of the top mounted radiator.

So that idea got junked, and we just wrapped up warm in woolies to fly the damned thing.

Until I removed the installation, I put a sign in the cockpit ( there were ten of us in the syndicate then, and not all were easy to contact ) which said "PLEASE DON'T TURN ON THE HEATER"

If there is anyone out there with a 912 powered X'Air,. . . .I have a really good heater system that I'd sell cheap. . . . . . ( and if you wanna make one yourself, PM me for the water circuit and other details ! )

Phil

If there is anyone out there with a 912 powered X'Air,. . . .I have a really good heater system that I'd sell cheap. . . . . . ( and if you wanna make one yourself, PM me for the water circuit and other details ! )

Phil

Does your system not use an exhaust shroud?

Does your system not use an exhaust shroud?

No, the exhaust sits on top of the wing, a shroud would have entailed more engineering than we really wanted to undertake, and the BMAA said the mounting would need to be modified also. see pic. . . . We just used the coolant circuit, but the system wasn't man enough. . . An exhaust shroud system works well in other aircraft where the assembly is contained within a cowling, but out in the airflow ? mmm, . . . probably lose any heat gained in the wind ! The result was that with the heater circuit turned on, the 582 engine wouldn't come up to operating temperature, unless the ambient temp was 24 C or higher ! !

.If I'd done the maths first, this outcome would have been fairly obvious ! ! ! ( Duh )

Phil

1440884396_LeeandPhilR.jpg.01d1eb0624aa8c90278b43127af7a332.jpg