RAA Safety-Training-Compliance Coordinator appointed

fly_tornado

Approve  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Approve

• yes
    • no

Guest Maj Millard

Hmmmm....not sure if I want somebody so constantly vocal about RAA affairs, not actually being an RAA member. Something just a little wrong there somehow to me..Does that also mean he's not a pilot either, or if he is, a GA pilot only, enquiring minds would like to know. ???....Maj.....033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry Maj. I'll defend the old coote even though he drives me bloody mad, he is quite endeeeeering.

He is a GA pilot and he is an RAA pilot he just does not hold current membership and he and I have been jibing over that for a while.

Guest SAJabiruflyer
Hmmmm....not sure if I want somebody so constantly vocal about RAA affairs, not actually being an RAA member. Something just a little wrong there somehow to me..Does that also mean he's not a pilot either, or if he is, a GA pilot only, enquiring minds would like to know. ???....Maj.....033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

He just loves us all sooooh much ... don't you sweet pea ... ROFLMAO

No secrets there Escadrille, I told everyone that some time back; RAA owes me $27.00, and if a suitable reliable aircraft comes up, or if my health decides it, I may well be paying subscriptions again.I wouldn't call my position aggressive, but I am trying, with some very diverse contacts in places not accessible to RAA members to keep you all flying, against:

(a) a very bad level of fatalities leading to

(b) potential legal claims which could cripple RAA

© who do not need to have to admit they don not have a Safety Management System.

I imagine that's also at the forefront of CASA's mind.

TP may not be a current Member of RA-Aus, but he does have a wealth of knowledge that we can draw upon. He was extremely helpful to me in the past when I had an issue with a noise complaint at my local Airfield. We don't always agree, as you would expect, but he has my full respect which he has earn't - simply from his actions. He also has the intestinal fortitude to change his mind and opinion on issues, when his investigations uncover facts that are important and lead him in a different direction. I'll buy him a Beer anyday.

Dear Daz, our current problems have much less to do with public servants than it has to do with democracy. RAA is screwed because of the people WE voted for not because of CASA. If anything CASA probably should have pulled our entitlements to fly ages ago because WE can't maintain an aircraft register or ensure that we have a safety system that actually ensures safety.Your comment was offensive in the extreme and fails to recognise that most public servants do a great job, maintaining what we have with dedication and put up with some pretty awful crap from craven, self seeking politicians and members of the public, generally unable to find their way out of a paperbag.

It is people outside the public service who build models that allow other people outside the public service to scam the system. It is people inside the public service, under resourced, underpaid and mis-understood who spend much time trying to keep the system working and stop the smarties from totally screwing the system up.

That the current board cannot read financial statements and the board keeps electing treasurers who can't count is a sad indictment. If members of the board are not prepared to stand for exec positions then perhaps they should resign but to sit there like the front row at a pantomime should not be an option.

Can I do a better job - yes of course but this year because there is an airshow in Tannheim "TannKosh" I am off to Denmark and Germany to spend some of the kids inheritance.

In NSW I would support Michael Monck - he seems to have a grasp of both the bean-counting, corporate governance, business systems and member ownership aspects of RAA - attributes seemingly lacking in the current board. CFIs - well? - I think we have enough of those at the moment - after all Ed and Eugene will be joined by at least 2 other CFIs being elected unopposed.

Col 050_sad_angel.gif.66bb54b0565953d04ff590616ca5018b.gif

Hang on Col - Your have taken what I have said out of context. I wasn't implying all public servants were oxygen thieving pencil pushers. I referring to the oxygen thieving pencil pushers who work in one particular government department.

• Haha 1

Guest Maj Millard

Well I would be the last one to deny anyone's access to this site, even if I had that option. Ian is pretty specific about giving equal access to all, and after all it is a site for all recreational enthusiasts. And of course I acknowledge Turbos long contributions on this site.

I guess I have just assumed that the 'big' players on the site would be RAA members, and was a bit surprised to find he is not. I may or may not view his active RAA discussion different in the future. Now what about our own Facthunter....please tell me he is an RAAus member ?..................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Come on you guys ease up ... you are all a bunch of crawlers ... Tubz will just get a big head ... He is bad enough as it is without giving him too many compliments. Remember he is a Mexican ... LOL

It would be interesting for you to let everyone know how you managed to get all Member's Email Address which you have been using to mass-mail your Election material...

I feel left out! No body has emailed me their election material. Could this be yet another rumour.....

Hang on Col - Your have taken what I have said out of context. I wasn't implying all public servants were oxygen thieving pencil pushers. I referring to the oxygen thieving pencil pushers who work in one particular government department.

There might be the odd t**d on the carpet in various aviation department but I don't believe these are the cause of RAAs woes. There might be a few scab lifters out there enjoying themselves but RAA skinned ITS nose, knees and elbows all on ITS own.

My favourite oxygen thieves are the local restaurant owners, faced with the fact that they are crap business people, demanding the right, without hinderance, let or rent, to scatter their furniture all over the footpath at great inconvenience to passersby - but I digress.

• Agree 2

I spoke at length with Ed on the phone and have also spoken with three Board Members and written to another.Now, imagine if 1,000 of our 10,000 members did that and they became well informed and communicated their wishes to the Board? A good thing? A good start? Not really because despite the Board Members getting drowned in those enquiries 90% of RA-Aus members would still be in the pitch dark and would not have communicated their preferences to the Board.

That is no way to communicate with Members. Steve Runciman always used to say "ring me" but very few people did - why? Because that is a ridiculous way to attempt to have a meaningful communication with 10,000 peopel.

Well.........What did Ed tell you Mr AR

.....Let's get back to the facts:

- there is an RA-Aus SMS and it has been on the books since Feb 2012.

Are you sure?

I have been unable to locate any such system.

The template recently issued refers to

The (Name of the FTF) will parallel the RA-Aus risk management system as outlined in the RA-Aus Safety Management System and Risk Management Manual (Appendix 1.)

There was nothing at Appendix 1. in the template.

Does the "RA-Aus Safety Management System and Risk Management Manual" exist? If so, where can I get a copy? It should be as readily available as the Ops or Tech Manuals and be on line via the web site.

.....- the template for the SMS has been rolled out to the FTFs and they have a date to have it completed by.

The template does not state a date by which the FTF SMS must be completed.

The email delivering the template stated "Feedback and suggestions are requested to be forwarded by 15th August 2013 and will be applied to the Template as appropriate." It says nothing about a deadline for completion of the SMS.

.....- For many CFIs the job of re-documenting their SMS in the format dictated by RA-Aus is not an onerous task just annoying. They will get the benefit of a more formal SMS and having had the incentive to re-visit and review their own SMS.

For many CFIs the job of setting up a SMS will be a daunting and time consuming task, particularly for the one man band FTF, which I suspect are a significant proportion of the total.

The draft 'template' issued by RA-Aus is, in my opinion, a crock! It is poorly worded, full of grammatical and punctuation mistakes and obviously has not been proof read. I am very disappointed in this mostly unhelpful document. I think the CASA guidance material on setting up a SMS is a better place to start.

.....I will never agree that breaching standards of Good Governance is OK. I say yet again, abandoning good governance and keeping secrets is what got RA-Aus into this mess in the first place. It is not the way to get us out of it.

I agree with this statement.

There appears to be a misunderstanding amongst some (all?) of the posters on this forum of what a Safety Management System is.

Good governance and the commitment of senior management to safety and its promotion are essential components of a successful SMS.

RA-Aus seems to be lacking to a large extent in both these areas.

The Sport Aviation Self-Administration Handbook 2010 provides a blueprint for how RAAOs should operate and by my reading RA-Aus has a long way to go to become compliant.

If RA-Aus had its own SMS in place and promoted it to members and FTFs it would make the task of implementing a SMS much easier for FTFs.

As an aside, in how many of the recent spate of accidents was the pilot and/or aircraft under the direct influence or control of a FTF?

Not many, if any, I suspect. Therefore, if a SMS is able to contribute to reducing such accidents then it would be the RA-Aus SMS to do so and not that of a FTF.

DWF 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Winner 1

I may or may not view his active RAA discussion different in the future.

Well you disagree with me 90% of the time now, so I've only got 10% to lose.

A piece of advice from a person who stood on the grass next to the great man himself, wondering why it didn't have a proper nose wheel:

Townsville is not such a big place; go and have a cup of coffee with Steve Runciman and I guarantee you'll be a wiser man at the end.

• Caution 1

In the absence of a separate thread, I would just like to note that breaches of privacy principles are not criminal matters and "penalties" do not exist.A confider whose information is released by a confidant can sue for damages ...ie It is a civil matter. In order to obtain damages, loss must be demonstrated and quantified. Hard to imagine what loss is sustained in having your email address used in the manner suggested, especially if it was not published to other recipients.

I would personally be much more cautious of publishing unsubstantiated allegations impugning the reputation of an individual where damage is much more easily demonstrated.

Finally, any matters pertaining to criminal penalties including fines are matters of public record and open to anyone to search. Kaz

Not according to the Associations Incorporation Act 1991 of the Australian Capital Territory, which on Page 72 applies a penalty of 50 penalty units (over $5000), imprisonment for six months, or both.

Section 100 applies this to "A person who has been appointed for this Act"

I would take that to mean an Officer, Employee or Member of an Association under the Act. but didn't see this defined in my short search.

WDSECRECY.docx

WDSECRECY.docx

WDSECRECY.docx

• Informative 1

Not according to the Associations Incorporation Act 1991 of the Australian Capital Territory, which on Page 72 applies a penalty of 50 penalty units (over $5000), imprisonment for six months, or both.Section 100 applies this to "A person who has been appointed for this Act"

I would take that to mean an Officer, Employee or Member of an Association under the Act. but didn't see this defined in my short search.

A person appointed for the purposes of the Act is a member of the ACT Public Service charged with administering the Act, Turbs; a person who has access to all the information about associations and their Boards and the affairs of those associations.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with the ordinary membership who fall under the requirements of the Privacy Act which deals with breaches as civil matters as I stated previously.

The law is a complicated creature and needs to be examined carefully according to the rules.

Kaz