Taking ya mate for a fly think twice

Hiya fellow pilots, well we all know how mind blowing flight is every time we take off and land, and don't we talk about it, and look skyward every time you hear a familiar sound and this incredible thing we enjoy you just want to share with your friends . Well think again don't do it might as well fly single seat on thr 1st of this month I pranged my Lightwing engine st itself bad country no where to go but a crap scub paddock so in I go and stall it on to the crap, we walked away my mate had two stitches to the head sore bum, me broken l5 which I was not aware of gave first aid to my mates head. Saw him off in the ambo I refused an ambo went home had a shower and then went to the hospital I was not good bp 200/100 scann showed fractured l5 . I have spent 4days in hos. Told to have 2 weeks bed rest before a surgeon can look at it due to swelling thought I was going ok until today, my mate rocks up saying RAAUZ says I have to give you a letter of demand for compensation medical cost glasses and shirt and jumper that the ambos cut off, during the time I have been resting this fellow has been out partying helped a mate yesterday and drove out to pick up his 20ft north bank boat and take to his house whilst his friend got his car repaired. I am devastated now I have an access to pay with RAAUZ ins plus whatever crap gets chucked my way Never would I again offer or accept a request to or from a mate to share something special. I'm gettin on and scarred of being screwed I had plans for retirement was planning on buying a coast property near my daughter and kick back a bit. But instead I Am getting a clearance from a dr tomorrow to go back to work , fri I work security high end stuff but due to my mate have no choices now end of flying for me this. Mate has screwed my head if my back breaks at work in an altercation so be it its my fault I took a mate fore a ride he returned the favour, no thanks for the good outcome most that saw the scene and circumstances say not aa survivable situation what more can I say I feel like crawling into a hole top it off I'm on my own tonight it's gona be he'll I hate this its all about $$$$$$$$$

• Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear that, without insurance maybe we should all take heed and not take passengers.

Looks like the placards we need to have in the aircraft dont mean a thing.

Surely RAAus could have a form dawn up that if passenger signed would protect the aircraft pilot and owner especially if everything is above board.

• Winner 1

My mate took me for a fly, about four years ago, damned glad he did. Now I have my certificate, x-country and passenger endorsements and have started building my own plane, wouldn't be happening if he hadn't. Since then he has also taken my wife, each of my three daughters and my old father for a flight and got them all on side for me too. I really feel sorry that your mate turned out to not be worth it, but have a think about your other mates, how many of them would have treated you this badly in the same situation? Might have been just a real unlucky break, not everone watches too much American TV.

• Like 3
  • Winner 1

Really Bex! So you can prove you have a better education than someone else who is expressing pain, suffering and disappointment. Well done buddy for showing that education doesn't equate to a sense of humanity and compassion

Disappointed

Phil

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Sorry to hear what has happened to you. I know insurance isn't the cheapest thing around but having that public liability is peace of mind. The SAAA work in conjunction with QBE insurance for its members for cheaper policies. Does RAA Aus have anything on offer to its members? If not might be something the members could put to the board at the next AGM.

• Caution 1

par·a·graphn.

1. A distinct division of written or printed matter that begins on a new, usually indented line, consists of one or more sentences, and typically deals with a single thought or topic or quotes one speaker's continuous words.

Yes my concern's were written in a continuance , without regard for spelling or punctuation . However when I write reports for the Courts such as Social background reports to assist children in distress, The Judges take favour in my information as an author who provides the situation at the time. Sir Professor Hedley at Adelaide Uni said, those that can do, those that cannot teach , thank you for your compassion the world is round and comes around each day, you have a good day Sir

• Like 2
  • Winner 3

I was under the impression that Raa does cover the passenger ,and the warning in the cockpit about flying in this aircraft at your pun risk.

Steve , don't worry to much about it , I think if push comes to shuv , you'll be fine .

Anyway the courts seem to be looking at this type of activity is hazardous ,

Passengers , mates , fly at their own risk

Mike

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Caution 1

Y

My mate took me for a fly, about four years ago, damned glad he did. Now I have my certificate, x-country and passenger endorsements and have started building my own plane, wouldn't be happening if he hadn't. Since then he has also taken my wife, each of my three daughters and my old father for a flight and got them all on side for me too. I really feel sorry that your mate turned out to not be worth it, but have a think about your other mates, how many of them would have treated you this badly in the same situation? Might have been just a real unlucky break, not everone watches too much American TV.

Yea I know mate and agree but it's hard to take when this happens, aim glad all has worked out well for you .I also agree its a great thing to do have so many good times and adventure people don't understand it , but I guess I'm just at the end of the road I guess overall beware of those with no integrity as people. All the best Steve

Yes my concern's were written in a continuance , without regard for spelling or punctuation . However when I write reports for the Courts such as Social background reports to assist children in distress, The Judges take favour in my information as an author who provides the situation at the time. Sir Professor Hedley at Adelaide Uni said, those that can do, those that cannot teach , thank you for your compassion the world is round and comes around each day, you have a good day Sir

You had us all fooled Steve .

It just needed a commer after compassion and a full stop at the end .

Mike 017_happy_dance.gif.8a199466e9bd67cc25ecc8b442db76ba.gif

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Sorry to hear what has happened to you. I know insurance isn't the cheapest thing around but having that public liability is peace of mind. The SAAA work in conjunction with QBE insurance for its members for cheaper policies. Does RAA Aus have anything on offer to its members? If not might be something the members could put to the board at the next AGM.

RAA has been hard to get to say anything to it's members about insurance protecting it's members or it board members, all of the time I have been associated with it. Just one more of those places where more communication would be helpful. There is a thinking in insurance circles that a claimant will go for however much payout, the insurance cover will stretch to, but that silence makes it impossible for a member to know how much automatic cover they have under their membership, and how much extra cover they need to be satifactorily covered.

I was under the impression that Raa does cover the passenger ,and the warning in the cockpit about flying in this aircraft at your pun risk.Steve , don't worry to much about it , I think if push comes to shuv , you'll be fine .

Anyway the courts seem to be looking at this type of activity is hazardous ,

Passengers , mates , fly at their own risk

Mike

I hope your right Mike, I'm really stressed about it, I just can't believe the formal request,I had already said send me your bills anyway,I just felt ill so I got a Dr to clear me for work start back Fri , I will stay on my back until then hopefully it will hold good enough

You had us all fooled Steve .It just needed a commer after compassion and a full stop at the end .

Mike 017_happy_dance.gif.8a199466e9bd67cc25ecc8b442db76ba.gif

Yea I know Mike, but you have to get it correct some punctuation correct I actually enjoy writing but thos ,,,....?..,,"" give me the pips after 3 Scotches doesn't mix with Endone to well ha

• Like 1

what more can I say I feel like crawling into a hole top it off I'm on my own tonight it's gona be he'll I hate this its all about $$$$$$$$$

Steve, I know exactly what you are saying about thaking someone up for a fly. I`ve been doing it for almost 30 years and still do. I have taken hundreds, apart from those I`ve instructed. Though I`ve had more than one engine failure with someone else on board, I`ve never had a problem with anyone. Unfortunately, your experience just turned out as it has.

I`m realy sorry for what has happened to you and what you are now going through but don`t let it be the end of you. I seem to recall something that goes a bit like this. " When the going gets tough, the tough get going."

The choice is yours.....I would choose to get on top of it.

All the best,

Frank.002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

• Like 1

Yes my concern's were written in a continuance ,

I apologise Steve,

Because of the mini uproar I actually went back and read the whole lot whereas first I only did the first few sentences.

There is a lot of young folk these days who with their phones are offering shocking grammar out of pure laziness and it gets to me but I see you have stress and pain and writing under duress.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

The insurance company takes over and tells the claimant what he must do. Best mates doesn't matter. Once a claim has been lodged the insurance company takes over. I've been there. You may believe you have a perfect defence but your insurance company will decide to capitulate and settle with your mate's insurance company. Neither of you is given any choice in how the thing proceeds. Steve, don't blame your mate, he is caught up in the machine.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Caution 1

I guess overall beware of those with no integrity as people.

You summed it all up right there, in all walks of life, however we spend our time, and how ever we earn our crust, that is the best advice any body can give, or recieve. Keep your chin up, until you are up to getting back on the bike. All the best mate, Steve H...

Hi there Steve, chin up, some time in the future things will seem better. I thought the RAAus insurance is for this type of situation, maybe I got that wrong? later on might be the best time to think about flying again?

Regards Richard.

Isn`t the RAA insurance for third party only?....... You crash into a bystander or someones house!

http://www.raa.asn.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Members-Liability-Insurance-Certificate-of-Currency-30-10-121.pdf

"Accidental bodily injury and accidental loss of or damage to the property of others, caused by an Accident

occurring during the period of insurance stated on the Certificate and arising out of a Recreational Aviation

Australia Inc. activity including the operation by an Insured member of an Aircraft and/ or their occupation

of a building for the specific purpose of housing and maintaining an Aircraft."

What`s happened to the ' Dangerous activity' ruling? Fly at your own risk! Why doesn`t it apply in Steves case, or anyone else for that matter? I thought it was all clear cut now and sorted out!

Frank.

• Caution 2

The insurance company takes over and tells the claimant what he must do. Best mates doesn't matter. Once a claim has been lodged the insurance company takes over. I've been there. You may believe you have a perfect defence but your insurance company will decide to capitulate and settle with your mate's insurance company. Neither of you is given any choice in how the thing proceeds. Steve, don't blame your mate, he is caught up in the machine.

The insurance take over after his mate [use that term loosely] has made a claim, remove him off the christmas card list forever. You deserve better steve.

I don't know about endone and scotch, I just took my endone but alas no scotch to have with it. Chin up mate.

• Agree 1

What`s happened to the ' Dangerous activity' ruling? Fly at your own risk! Why doesn`t it apply in Steves case, or anyone else for that matter? I thought it was all clear cut now and sorted out!

We pointed out several times that was a specific case about a specific issue in one jurisdiction - NSW, and not only that, but was still subject to appeal, so it's not a precedent at this time.

Apart from that it varies from the basic principles of negligence so still might be challenged in future cases (I think a key factor was that the passenger was a pilot, but can't remember if that is correct).

What has happened here is routine, and we must have advised a dozen or more times on this forum for owners and pilots to get Public Liability Insurance.

Even if your wife is injured, she can sue you (or it may be decided by a third party that she sues you)

And the dollars are never small - loss of a finger could cost $100,000.00

• Caution 1

Cover your bases with insurance. Find out what RAA membership and registration offers. Your best mate deserves the very best from you - next time it could be a broken back instead of a pair of glasses. Or if you don't have enough insurance, include in your passenger briefing a part that seeks to indemnify yourself and get them to sign a damages waver. Only in that way can you ensure that your passenger is a fully (or even partly) informed passenger (but is a kid an informed client under any circumstances?). This briefing and indemnity, of course, doesn't cover the innocent bystander so you will need insurance for them.