Tell us about your last flight

Admin

The minimum you'd have to do here is Aus. Air Legislation, if you have the USA rating. IF you don't I don't see many issues that aren't happening often. You are not the only one doing this stuff. in your circumstances. CASA here have pushed the PIFR instead of NGT VMC where not many testing Officers even want to go along on the check ride. Nev

• Agree 1

Took the Nynja for a fly along the coast to see where the clean water was and the extent of the dirty muddy water due to the big tides; then did a run up Reliance Creek at 500 feet  with a bit of south westerly wind blowing.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, RFguy said:

Nice visibility. Do they do it in a tail wheel ?

Funnily enough I talked to the old Nynja importer and he mentioned a tail wheel version in Australia and it was a real handful. I later ended up talking with the owner/ ex owner because he was considering being a ferry pilot for the Nynja I’ve sold. That’s my job it seems up to Dubbo next week on its way to Lismore as change over point.

Answer as far as I know is that it’s possible but you’d not want to. Tail is already a handful!

I noticed you flew the A32. Nynja is about in between the A22 and 32 in performance. 105kn cruise 5400rpm. Doesn’t float like the A32. Very well behaved. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, facthunter said:

The minimum you'd have to do here is Aus. Air Legislation, if you have the USA rating. IF you don't I don't see many issues that aren't happening often. You are not the only one doing this stuff. in your circumstances. CASA here have pushed the PIFR instead of NGT VMC where not many testing Officers even want to go along on the check ride. Nev

I talked to an ex military  pilot recently (USA) . He just gave up on CASA conversion. Mine apparently has moved to a senior decision maker and that was a while ago. They have been very helpful. It’s just slow.

There must be a number in my position.

I can understand not wanting to go on a NGT VMC checkride. My last USA flight was with a really experienced guy. Ex everything including a long stint in accident investigation. Preflight I noticed each time we flew he did a thorough walk around and checked detail like rudder cable connections etc. Never touched the controls on my take offs and landings. Also, shadowed the yoke in close. That’s experience on display. 

• Like 1

Mike,  Airplanes like the A32, Jabiru only float with incorrect choice of landing airspeed and technique required for that plane.....IE pilot error. Planes that don't float are usually those with high induced drag (that go with deep chords). For flying enjoyment, I am now a big fan of visibility. 

Edited by RFguy

10 hours ago, RFguy said:

Nice visibility. Do they do it in a tail wheel ?

Only a few I believe.  Sold as a tri gear.  Like MIke G said between a Foxbat 22 / 32 is an accurate description of performance.

It seems main construction difference is the forward diagonal tube to to forward undercarriage hinge point.

141077531_10218880340100488_5413178860155892589_n.jpg

Edited by Blueadventures

gee the mains are back alot, surprised . mains are usually at least look  ahead of the static CG. Obviously they are otherwise it would be on its nose. If the static config CG is 'just 'behind the mains, I would have though that makes the stability a little more neutral, compared to say, CG at the tailwheel (extreme). might nose over easier ? 

Edited by RFguy

Yeah, here’s a comparison. No wonder it’s “a handful”

Floating aircraft. I get what you’re saying. I was getting a heap of float doing IFR training in the Cessna. 90kn stabilised descent then you come out of the Foggles and have to get slowed down.

I do however think the Foxbat is prone to float and it is as such not a great student aircraft. A22 floats and A32 really floats. I recall seeing a video of Ido landing the Foxbat short field and pulling the flaps on touchdown. That seemed to sort it. 

5A8D5C40-3985-40A1-B583-B8F730421C19.jpeg

The wheels are not as  far back as they might appear. Check the sunlight just catching the front of each wheel. Close to C of G  is easier to keep straight but can't brake as effectively.  Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

if you think an A32 floats, then a Jabiru is the definition of float. and the winglet-ed Jabs (230, 170) even more so, since the the winglets reduce induced drag even more....You really do have all day to land a winglet-ed Jab. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Try landing them slightly down hill. The Foxbat floats forever (at a very low speed).  If the Jab's idle is a bit fast, same but faster.  I know people who regularly cut the motor on a 230 once the landing is assured, on shorter strips.  Nev

4 hours ago, Mike Gearon said:

I do however think the Foxbat is prone to float and it is as such not a great student aircraft. 

Mike, that'll be another buck!   ;- )

Herewith our own Pylon500 at Taree not floating in the A22 he likes to teach in.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, RFguy said:

Windsock blowing its ring off. (but steady). is that a typical wind down 04 for Taree  (NEer) ? 

steep !  (low ground speed) . crabbed in . 

In my experience the wind shifts around quite a bit, by the hour, day and season.

Often it favours the grass (30/12 • 564m) - sea breezes as well as plenty out of the west.

And the grass, of course, favours one's tyres. Too bad, as often as not, it's closed due soft/wet surface.

But it's a nice airport; good social atmosphere and surrounded by great coastal/mountain scenery.

CLICK FOR HIGHER REZ.

image.thumb.jpeg.d1e1d5c703aaeb8399d390030177e633.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

A few days ago, Bob (iBob) invited me for a flight around the picturesque Wairarapa valley in the Savannah that he constructed at his home. This oft-repeated quote is fitting for Bob’s beautifully constructer aeroplane.
         “Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that Noah, a lone amateur,

built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic”.

I believe that the attention to detail, and the level of finish, visible in Bob’s Savannah exceeds that of factory built planes. Here is a picture of his aircraft in flight:

image.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Winner 2

After flying south east, roughly parallel to the Tararua Range, we came to a position north of Lake Wairarapa, which looks somewhat brown just now. Five rivers from the valley drain into this and, because we have had a lot of rainfall over the last two months it has carried a good quantity of sediment into the lake:

2022-08-15 12.24.00.jpg

• Like 5