Tell us about your last flight

Admin

58 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Good one day and PERFECT the next is what is said in the tourist adverts. Nev

Yep, rain is often referred to as liquid sunshine.  ASDIP - Another shitty day in paradise.  Cheers.

Edited by Blueadventures
  • Like 1

I did not fly today however the Freedom to fly RV aircraft formation team have come to Cowra for a visit. 10 RV aircraft lead by a Yak flying beautiful formation with smoke, visual and aural perfection.

FB.WATCH

We're super excited for our next training camp coming up soon. Keep your eyes peeled for more news! We would also like to welcome Punkin Head Air Sports...

• Like 5
  • Winner 1

On 16/06/2023 at 4:59 PM, Thruster88 said:

I did not fly today however the Freedom to fly RV aircraft formation team have come to Cowra for a visit. 10 RV aircraft lead by a Yak flying beautiful formation with smoke, visual and aural perfection.

FB.WATCH

We're super excited for our next training camp coming up soon. Keep your eyes peeled for more news! We would also like to welcome Punkin Head Air Sports...

FB.WATCH

We just completed our Cowra Training Camp. Central West News produced this story...

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

YCWR Cowra to YMND Maitland. (and back) . 158nm each way.

The folks at Royal Newcastle Aero Club at Maitland were very nice and helpful and welcoming...recommended !

now....despite excellent flying condix, up high right under the  class E step, 

***This tiger country looks MUCH worse from the air than it ever did on the ground  or on a map ! LOL
I admit, I didnt like the look of it too much and richened the engine up one notch (25F) just to make me feel better. Pretty though....

pic1.jpg.2e886e5da9f16115f1f4838c58ad0aed.jpgpic2.thumb.jpg.053379487a6428a0711ea1009954a8a0.jpgpic3.thumb.jpg.de9c59468ebb445972371463adb92835.jpg

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 6

dunno if I'd fly DIRECT like that  with my kids on board. That first picture, 7500' eastbound (went 8500 west bound) there is NOWHERE to go, I mean NOWHERE.   Probably go around it to the north (extra 25nm) or get a clearance to 12.5k feet or something. 

Edited by RFguy

Not sure the SE2 cuts the mustard. I have a GTX335 ADSB-OUT to go in.  I'll find out.  That region / area is filled with IFR traffic. 
The other thing is, going much higher than 11,000 feet, there might be diminishing returns to just flying around the tiger country. Probably would depend on weather, many things .

If the there was ANY cloud, I'd likely fly around the north  of the tigers,  (25nm ?) since if you want to even further reduce your survival probabilities, add a cloud near the ground to the mix. And at the Maitland etc, itd be a quick decent..... there is CTA just east of Cessnock en route (4500 step), and  to get into Maitland, I was at 4500 as I was overhead Cessnock, and 4000 at the step.  and I'd likely need to use a VFR approach point  in to WIlliamtown CTA. dunno have to check that.

Edited by RFguy

41 minutes ago, Markdun said:

Why didn’t you go into class E, as you do have the SE2?

I used to think that the SE2  would qualify us to use Class E.

I was encouraged by this:

CASA ADVISORY CIRCULAR AC 91-23 v1.0 
Excerpt:
"Apart from an integrated TABS device able to substitute for a transponder in Class E & G airspace, lower cost options are not intended to overcome any existing requirement to carry a transponder, in any class of airspace.”

But on seeking clarification from RAAus I got this response from their Policy section:

"An integrated TABS device is not an EC device, such as the SE2. These are two different things. If you take a look at CAO 20.18 Appendix XIII (for integrated TABS) or Appendix XIV (for EC device) you'll see that an integrated TABS device must meet the technical specifications for (E)TSO-C199. and have a SIL of 1."

We had a fairly long discussion about this on here a couple of years ago when there was an Airservices Australia proposal to lower the Class E space over much of eastern Oz.

Edited by Garfly
  • Agree 1

Glen did you fly direct YCWR - YMND on this trip?

And the northerly route you say you'd take if there was significant cloud ... do you mean like via Mudgee and Warkworth?

Would you say the worst of the tiger country was pretty much the area north east of Bathurst and south west of Cessnock?

They say that there are times when the Hunter Valley can get socked in for weeks with cloud sitting on the ranges to the north, south and west - even the hills to the east.

I remember Old Koreelah telling us here once, that his aero club at Quirindi (on the plains north-west of Scone) offered basic accommodation to encourage visiting pilots bound for the Hunter to stay and wait it out if cumulo granitus was festooning the Liverpool Range.

• Like 1

Yes. direct. shotgun line .... I reckon the region between Capertee and Putty is the worst, as between Putty and Cessnock, there is SOME clearing.
Given that Maitland could be fogged in , and Cessnock also fogged, need to carefully consider the TAF for the region before travelling. yesterday well it was beautiful.

IE IF  the TAF says PROB 30 for fog, that's a bit of a red flag. 

Need to get my NVFR rating , since fog in the morning (like yesterday) delays starts and the day runs late and behind schedule..  But yesterday I was concerned about a fog moving in early in the evening  at Cowra , on the way back, I could see fogs forming in regions around 30 minutes out  of CWR in the distance.....and I realised that arriving at sunset without an alternate option (no NVFR) wasn't the best planning. Had 2h fuel remaining on landing . Yeah I can land and nav the dark but I am not permitted to, and GA is not like driving on the road where you can flout rules.  I got on the radio and found humidity was low at YCWR , and so that was OK- no fog.... Cowra never has evening fog, and there are cross RWYs and lights and NDB  so shouldn't need one. But never say never ....

Edited by RFguy
  • Informative 1

You’re brave, going shotgun. That’s ugly country down there (well, not ugly. It’s beautiful, but mighty scary in a single engined aircraft). When I used to fly from Cessnock, I’d always go up to Mudgee way before turning south, but maybe I was just taught to be a scaredy cat. I used to work with a GA pilot who couldn’t understand why I didn’t want to fly direct. 

• Agree 1

Getting in and out of  West of the Hunter Valley has always been  a challenge. NVFR is not the answer either. PIFR is better but you are still single engine with NO de icing. Dead sticking in cloud into that kind of topography is not  a good idea.. I used to do that trip fairly regularly sometimes in a Tiger Moth which is probably more safe than faster landing type planes.   Nev

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

16 hours ago, Garfly said:

I remember Old Koreelah telling us here once, that his aero club at Quirindi (on the plains north-west of Scone) offered basic accommodation to encourage visiting pilots bound for the Hunter to stay and wait it out if cumulo granitus was festooning the Liverpool Range.

Thanks for remembering, Garfly.
Our club’s building is a bolthole to wait for the weather to improve. This might help south-bound pilots, but is not much help for anyone south of the range.

I hope one day to install weather cams to make it easier for flyers to look far ahead to see the clouds, but have too many projects at present.

Maybe this is a good opportunity for anyone with more experience to tell us how to set up weather cams; the more of them, the better.

• Like 1

We are about to instal weather cams at South Grafton through Auswebcams. If power is available as well as internet access all you need is a 2 camera system costing $200.00. Annual cost is only data so about $50.00 in subsequent years. If no internet is available you will also need a router, & mobile SIM card & the cost of data upload. Total cost for year 1 is about $440.00 & subsequent years about $200.00. 

If no power is available you will have to add solar panels and a battery. Cameras/router can run on mains power or 12 volt DC.

Photos are uploaded every 6 minutes and are live on Ozrunways, Auswebcams website and Windy. Windy also has a historic stream of the past 24 hours so you can see the weather change data overthat time in a few seconds

• Like 2
  • Informative 3

42 minutes ago, kgwilson said:

Photos are uploaded every 6 minutes and are live on Ozrunways, Auswebcams website and Windy.

Also through Avplan (no affiliation...😄)

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

36 minutes ago, Old Koreelah said:

A long shot: does anyone know a good place near Toowoomba to land and park my 19-reg for the weekend of July 14-15? 
Meeting up with old mates in Toowoomba before going to the Superbikes in Warwick.

Wouldn't YTWB be able to accommodate you?  Is it because it's a security controlled joint? Or your reluctance to get stuck there by pop-up PRDs?

Maybe parking up at Warwick, to start with, and getting old TWB mate to come get you is the way to go. ;- )  Anyway, sounds like a nice trip.

Edited by Garfly
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Old Koreelah said:

Thanks Garfly, forgot to add that I’m RAA and have to stay out of controlled airspace and also that I long ago let my ASIC lapse due to lack of use.

Wyreema 8nm south of toowoomba is the closest ad with contact info.  

• Like 1