Tell us about your last flight

Admin

Ah, yeah, a nice little outing to Culin.

Some great picnic spots there at Culin - for the STOL mob who can get in, that is.

Edited by Garfly
  • Like 1

So, yesterday at 7am I am scheduled to fly for a lesson first time in 3 years in an aircraft  I have not flown, my newly acquired ‘Super Bin Chicken’ J-230D. 

Having done all the pre flight, do my startup checks etc, some I had forgotten.

I get to taxi out on the grass strip to backtrack, never been on a grass strip before. 

If a Cop had seen me, he would thought I was well and truly pissed!  

Anyway, got it all run up and lined up.  Instructor give me the drill, he is taking off and does so……gee grass strip are noisy, I was sure we would shed some parts on take off 🙂   the 3300A engine ran great and away we went.  So I take control…..for the next 2 hours we visited 4 towns, flew over numerous ALAs a power station, some mines etc,  All the while I am asked to do quite a few air work exercises etc, all the while the 6cyl  motor purred along.  So we then return to the field after 2 hours where the Instructor land the plane and I taxi back to the hangar.

So we debrief and he says that after my previous training at Coffs Harbour in a Aerprakt Vixxen for 18 hours it appears I have lost very little if anything of my training.Not sure what it means but the Instructor gives my a Level 3 assessment rating. Not sure what that means, but it can’t have been too crappy as he said come back next week for takes offs landings and circuits 🙂 

Yesterday, was the best day I have had in many months and I could have probably stayed up for many more hours…..

The ‘ Super Bin Chicken’ ?  I love it and it’s great to fly 🙂   

• Like 7
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 2

how did you find landing it? stall horn blowing in the (steepening) flare  ?

ah I see instructor landed it. we look forward to the next installment.

Edited by RFguy

Actually the approach scared me a bit as speed was high, around 70kn, but ambient temperature was high…..over the fence it dropped like a brick but was quickly recovered for a smooth landing on a reasonable short strip.  Another strip 6 kilometres away that is 1.7km long is where I will doing my training from and it is grass but very level.  

Now,  I DON’T like the electric flap system, it’s slow and you have to hold your finger on the switch until it reaches the required setting, seen by looking at a dicky little indicator on the extreme right pillar of the cockpit.

So I ring Jabiru today for an alternative.  Never been asked before?  I said I want a positional flap switch that  is normally zero, I move the switch to stage 1, the flaps then move to that stage, more flap? then I move the switch to that setting and the flaps change.  As I touch down I move switch to zero flaps setting  and the return to that position. Reasoning is, once I activate the switch to the required setting……then I just fly the plane knowing the flaps are set.   As it is now, I have to hold my finger on the flapper shaped switch, watch the indicator on the right side of the plane then take finger off switch.   I have centre stick control and must remove my rich hand from it to work flap switch……..not safe enough for me when I have a high work load.  Jabiru listened to what I said and their engineer is going to contact me in a few days.  Mine is 24 reg, so Jabiru must give approval for it to be changed.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

I like the vernier electric flap. I can have a little bit more or a little bit less. and retracting from full  flap in a go around is gradual. 

However !!!!! I am going to move my flap switch currently in that lower awkward centre positon to just above the LH throttle.  (dont parallel it, since two reversing switches if they go in opposing positions will blow a fuse!) 

-- because roll/pitch hand is busy  and you dont want to have to lean down there where its  exciting. 

• Informative 1

Always disliked that in the Jab,

felt like there was too much movement between controls - glad I never short fielded it.
with dumping flaps on touchdown and applying brakes. there is a lot going on in a small area in the center.

especially when you consider the trim is there too. almost guaranteed the hands are getting crossed over at some point.

the manual flaps on the roof of the Vixxen was a revelation. as was the trim setting next to the throttle.
and the LHS throttle of the champ even nicer

Edited by spenaroo
spelling
  • Informative 1

you could reach over and operate from other side , its not that far,  but my intention is to put DUAL switches with a  simple relay interlock. pretty bombproof.  Agreed the Vixxen (which I have flown) is very much instant flaps.   Jack - you want 'detent' which needs a 3  microswitches  (5 is best, 3 is OK) and a couple of relays. IE runs until hits first microswitch, then runs until hits second microswitch. does same in both directions. Microswitches on the actuator arm, or simply small magnets on the indicator cable driving reed relays (as microswitches).  The jab still  flys pretty well with all the flap out (note there was an SB later 200s that reduced the maximum flap deflection since beyond a certain point all it does is add drag, not lift) 

• Informative 2

Glen,  IF it was a 19 rego I could change it in a heartbeat but being 24 Jabiru have to approve the change?  At least they listened to what I said and I am intending to visit the factory and meet them in person. In my working life I found that personal contact with people paid dividends.  I hope the Jabiru gurus smile upon me or I am stuck with what I have 😞 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

IF it was a 19 rego AND you built it you could change it in a heartbeat but being 24 Jabiru have to approve the change. So, that's unlikely.....

Yes visiting people makes a difference, that was very obvious after a year of lockdowns...

I'm happy to suggest something and document it.  IE change to two flap switches, each above  each throttle with a relay interlock.
But we are getting off the "tell us about your last flight "topic- start another forum topic Jack to continue...

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Took daughter 2 for her first flight with me. Tyabb around the bay via coastal route, down to Geelong then back up the coast via Phillip island to French island for a visit with Nic to see the Rans S21 build then back to Tyabb. Combined with building aircraft in the morning it was a big day out. 

0AE2E208-33F0-4CE0-9580-2C20C15D7E17.jpeg

232472FF-507E-4513-85E2-3C6E8CD9A037.jpeg

DE25C369-138B-4FA2-8B76-1DF4378A41BB.jpeg

F91D55C1-A88A-4966-A937-426D706636BD.jpeg

D3C92886-C965-461C-B237-23A647A6D9A5.jpeg

• Like 5