Tell us about your last flight

Admin

This video of the approach to  Vágar Airport Faroe Islands is a bit similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4aP1Jq48XU

From Wikipedia:

On 26 March 2016, Scandinavian Airlines (SAS) began to fly from Copenhagen to Vágar, the first airline other than Atlantic to do so in many years.[13] SAS has had trouble with fog landings which caused cancellations. But in February 2019 SAS started using the Required Navigation Performance procedure, which allows landings in more fog, but requires special onboard equipment, pilot training and approval from the aviation administration.[14] Atlantic Airways began using the system in 2012 as first airline in Europe.[15]

Edited by Garfly

7 hours ago, facthunter said:

Not the parts where people haven't settled. Egypt is all sand except a little ribbon of green. Nev

Sounds like my jocks when I stuff up a landing !

All white with a little ribbon of brown 😧

• Haha 1

Flying in the mountains on a good day is spectacular in NZs South Island. I took a C172 from Hamiltion to Queenstown for the Warbirds over Wanaka 22 years ago. It was a club trip with 2 172s & 2 PA28-181s. I'd never flown there before but I was familiar with the topography so it wasn't daunting at all plus I had my Mountain Flying rating.

We flew in to Wanaka on the Saturday (there were 600 light aircraft there) for the show but the next day 4 of us in a 172 flew from Queenstown to Milford Sound & back. The weather was good & that was my most spectacular flight ever. It was full noise all the way up the lake just to get high enough & then over the almost 10,000 foot tops to the West Coast and a descent all the way up the fjord to the Milford airstrip past vertical rock faces and massive waterfalls. I had to fly past the strip up the valley straight at a mountain & do a 180 to land on 29. Back then there weren't many rules. I just called in a sarwatch & told ATC we were going. That was it. I don't think they allow privateers there any more. Too many tourist operators.

There are some great youtube clips of flying in to Milford. Here is one to give you an idea of what it's like. The Caravan had it pretty easy on this day & landed straight in on 11.

• Like 7
  • Winner 1

4 in a 172? Only on a very cold day. I've had a Tiger moth higher than that. DeHavilland got a Gypsy Moth to about 22,000 feet.  Canvas and String.. Beats everything. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.  Nev

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's for a REAL experience. In a pressurised cocoon it's not a very real experience. Most there just watch a movie or DRINK to make the time pass, in their airborne cattle truck. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Even the drive into Milford Sound is spectacular....and I walked the Milford track over Christmas when I was younger (much younger) and it snowed on Christmas day. Absolutely amazingly beautiful place. The circling climb above Wakatipu is pretty special in its own right.

Never got to fly over Milford, but did do a flight over Mt Ruapehu about a month before it erupted. 

Yeah, climb performance above 6k in a max weight C172 is not great  - plenty of time to enjoy the scenery !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

4 in a 172? Only on a very cold day. I've had a Tiger moth higher than that. DeHavilland got a Gypsy Moth to about 22,000 feet.  Canvas and String.. Beats everything. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.  Nev

Yeah it was Easter so quite chilly when we left. When I did the W&B we were a little bit overweight even with no baggage. The fuel burn for the trip was really high so we left with full tanks. Even so on the return trip by the time we got to the coast we were still well below the tops but flew up the Hollyford valley climbing all the time & crossed at the saddle where the Routeburn track leads to the Dart river & then back down the lake to Queenstown.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, kgwilson said:

The Caravan had it pretty easy on this day & landed straight in on 11.

Landing may be pretty easy, but I imagine that taking off on 11 would be a bit sphincter-tightening… 😝

• Like 1

Hays, Kansas. Flew the TD S21 Titan 180hp with Marc while Randy was in the Tricycle with Rotax 915is. 140hp.

We predictably climbed out way faster then predictably the rotax turbo gave a bit of push up high. FL105

Pics.

love that taxi camera in the G3X!

TAS 130kn at FL105 37lph and about the same from Rotax. Nic and I have returned to the Titan 180hp with whirlwind ground adj prop. I’ll discuss in another thread why.

Like beautiful scenery out the window I never tire of seeing aircraft come alongside. I stopped filming just as Randy peeled off like a dive bomber on a run. Only just found out he used to fly aerobatic shows. No wonder he can make the aircraft do things I’ll never dream of repeating.

C6693E66-0B26-4164-B800-82CFBF8D91D8.jpeg

58B5D56F-F1A2-4F12-84D0-3C7F19D87288.png

• Like 3

1 hour in a Aeroprakt A-32 Vixxen with instructor.  912ULS. at Forbes. RH circuits on 09. 
Wow that is a nice aircraft !
once levelling off in circuit, it accelerates very quickly.

This aircraft is surprising. lands at 30 kts, does 100kts at like 60% fuel flow. 

Heaps of roll rate . 

Heaps of elevator authority in landing. still can keep the nose off the tarmac at 25 kts.....
Good Vis. quiet inside. 

The slip can be made very aggressive. 

Best climb at ~ 62 kts so there is heaps of envelope between best climb and Vfe(79 kts) .

image.png.4947159b2099b5667c91bfb57aee96fe.png

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Informative 2

Instructor wants me to try and get in a different airplane as often as possible, once a month if I can manage it.

Builds perspective.

Apparently the Pitts is on the list.... 

• Like 4

Flew MarkDuns' homebuilt Viking Cygnet around a bit today for 15 minutes in the air , over Currendooly. 

Wow !  now that is a fantastic  agile little aircraft. Beautifully coordinated in controls, no adverse yaw, and goes where you point it. ou can put it into a 30 deg bank turn and then hands off, and it stays where you put it.  No tendency to keep rolling or yawing...

Very nice Mark ! Y

https://vikingaircraft.com/why-build-the-cygnet/

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 3
  • Informative 2

During my last flight I saw the Ruskies take near 2 miles to haul this puppy into the sky in China, the land of fear!😂

YLRE sure was busy, old foggies in bus tours crawling all over the old dusty hardware!

FD8E0C1B-CA15-41D6-B1A2-5FCDD7334FB1.jpeg

40211AB8-5883-473C-BE6C-9D42FC20F143.jpeg

EB1AD5C8-47C5-4280-9262-54937C3C7037.jpeg

0CD9933D-697F-45BE-8A04-400AD0730C27.jpeg

2 1/2 hours IFR simulated flight with an ex IFR examiner and a simulated checkride….Can’t say it went perfectly. Was bloody surprised how well it did go. Transitioning from Omaha departure to Minneapolis Center then to grand island tower then reversed and I handled all radio and approaches without a heap of difficulty. Approach to Lincoln I screwed up radio call and tower covered for me. Midwest people are generally really nice!

Surprised how IFR suddenly becomes achievable. Only problem my instructor had was that I may “finish up” in Australia. I took that as confirmation I’m on the way to the finish line. I’ll pursue IFR in Australia and finish up FAA IFR in USA next year. 

Couldn’t do IFR exam in Lincoln so booked it and took in Honolulu. 84%. I’d have liked better. From reading on IFR exam in Australia it seems harder? USA has some 1200 questions they’ll present 50 from and 70% pass rate. 

Oh yeah, spectacular tree Waikiki. Moana Surfrider.

759773FF-16A0-4051-99FE-C86A8D0EDB88.jpeg

E6D11001-D095-4429-A9E2-FB60532ADB43.jpeg

71C8A23C-D0B9-4D81-B6B2-ECC56C9177D9.jpeg

C5B1EF9A-724A-4822-A9D5-756CB12DBCEE.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 2