Tell us about your last flight

Admin

so don't let it get too slow in the flare, and likely when it gets slow elevator authority becomes quite sensitive to engine thrust.  My guess.  This is the case with our serial number#1 (prototype) Brumby610 at Cowra. - Post prototype they put on a bigger tail and elevator and hit that with a hammer.

4 hours ago, Mike Gearon said:

Nynja is a little lacking in elevator authority landing. That’s about it’s only negative to a great little aircraft.

I've never seen this; however on landing and with speed decayed under flying speed the nose wheel won't stay up with full up elevator; most likely due to the wing tanks being on the cg.  Other builds with the fuel behind the seats have more weight aft so easily maintains the nose wheel off.

• Like 1

yeah a little adjustment to technique sounds like it is required.  maybe a little more speed to give the elevator the authority it needs..? others would have more experienced advice than myself... or a bag of concrete in the back.

hope you don't think we're beating you up on this, just all in the spirit of landing better. it's just something I noticed that I thought could be improved.

is that landing with full trimmed back or rather stick back that the elevator is at maximum deflection ?

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 1

Saddler Vampires do it too.  Ranger similar Once the rear wheels touch and weight goes on them it's onto the nosewheel.. Nose heavy makes it worse.  Fine to  stall in ordinary situations.  Nev

On 8/7/2022 at 6:39 PM, Flightrite said:

Like pilots rely on engineers to do their job properly they in turn rely on pilots to do likewise, obviously not in this case!

The whole idea of human factors engineering is to organise it so that if the pilot stuffs up no one dies. I had never even thought of putting the control lock in such a place that if it is in place, the yoke no longer feels in a natural place and the plane won’t fly. I spose they are placed so when they are in place, there is no tension in the system. 

1 hour ago, RFguy said:

yeah a little adjustment to technique sounds like it is required.  maybe a little more speed to give the elevator the authority it needs..? others would have more experienced advice than myself... or a bag of concrete in the back.

hope you don't think we're beating you up on this, just all in the spirit of landing better. it's just something I noticed that I thought could be improved.

is that landing with full trimmed back or rather stick back that the elevator is at maximum deflection ?

Trimmed for 46kts.  I'll did out a video that shows the ASI during landing later today or tonight.   All comments no worries.  The long grass on side of strip has a negative effect at the flare round out height as you are in the wind effect shadow; similar to tress and hangars that disturb the wind.  Cheers

• Like 1

As far as  I know every take off with gust locks engaged is fatal..  There HAS to be confirmation of controls free and operating in the correct sense before getting airborne. Russian Roulette otherwise.  Nev

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, facthunter said:

As far as  I know every take off with gust locks engaged is fatal.. 

A rare exception being cited in the report on this very accident: 

"Another 1019 series airplane owner relayed his experience with the flight control lock. He stated that, on one occasion, he had planned a local flight with a passenger in the back seat and became distracted and forgot to remove the flight control lock before flight. He was able to taxi for departure, still unaware that the lock was in place, and became distracted during the pre-takeoff checks because he was talking to the passenger. He stated that he was able to complete the initial stages of takeoff with the control lock engaged, and once he realized, he had to struggle to remove the lock due to the forces on the control stick during takeoff. After a few seconds he was able to free it, and the flight progressed uneventfully."    NTSB Report.

• Informative 1

On 8/7/2022 at 10:36 AM, onetrack said:

I really don't understand how such an experienced pilot could fail to carry out what is the most basic preflight check, on every single thing that flies.

One can only presume that this was a developing pattern of "shortcuts" in preflight procedures on the part of this pilot, that no-one picked up.

Complacency, combined with familiarity, combined with developing bad habits, will get you killed every time.

One thing to consider here is the so-called fundamental attribution error. The error is that we tend to blame our mistakes on our circumstances and blame others’ mistakes on their character. Simple example: when I’m irritable it’s because I’m under pressure but when someone else is irritable it’s because they’re an a-hole.

In the case of the mistakes that others make, IMHO, it is most productive to wonder what things could happen *to* us to put us in the same position. My own thoughts are: the I’m safe acronym, being under time pressure, being rusty, and forgetting my written check lists. 

When a checklist is interrupted, it is very easy to skip items. Habit capture is where we are supposed to do something different but forget to when the time comes, and just keep doing what we do out of habit; maybe he moved the control lock to a different part of his checklist. In this case, target fixation is just a type of distraction from the list.  

• Like 1

Most gust locks act on all control surfaces. The purpose is to prevent mechanical damage in winds. On many planes they are engaged during the latter stages of the  landing roll. Nev

On 8/7/2022 at 6:07 AM, RFguy said:

90% of my practice work is without an instructor. 

I always have a small notebook with me and or my inline voice recorder on the mic so I can make notes

like.... hmm let me think things I have done in the past...Forgot to retract flaps on late go around...... or....was way too deep downwind for the wind, or ...didnt do in-climb engine check... or  didnt remove the carb heat at late final, or didnt do bumfish check due to distraction on that downwind or... etc etc I think all of those sort of errors occur when I not flying regularly and there is in circuit traffic and radio traffic.

Exactly. People make mistakes all the time flying. IIRC, 1.6 per flight for airline pilots. Hence the need to engineer safety. 

10 hours ago, Blueadventures said:

Trimmed for 46kts.  I'll did out a video that shows the ASI during landing later today or tonight.   All comments no worries.  The long grass on side of strip has a negative effect at the flare round out height as you are in the wind effect shadow; similar to tress and hangars that disturb the wind.  Cheers

This will give a idea, cross wind from left and felt a little as down below tree line.

• Like 1

The published pre takeoff checklist for my Foxbat has about 50 items in it. I would like to whittle it down to ten or so. Otherwise I just skim the list and could miss something. My Archer list is much shorter.

19 minutes ago, Thruster88 said:

Nice landing at the old station, can't see any faults 

Had to get up the other end of 2,000 meters otherwise a long taxi.  Cheers

Sorry I missed yourself and RF as continually distracted catching up with friends hadn't seen since 2017.

• Like 1

Your cockpit organisation is impressive. I like those checklists and tail number reminders. Very cool. I will duplicate!

Nynja rudder authority… That’s it. Fuel behind the pilot as original design. Way better in the wing tanks. Changing COG throughout the flight would be annoying to say the least so who’d want to go back there.

It does seem a mod is in order though. Question is… would say another 50mm of up elevator as example be enough to allow the nose to lower more gently under 40-45kn?

A9102972-577C-4A3D-8ADC-40997C4EADE8.png

• Like 1

On 13/07/2022 at 8:23 PM, pmccarthy said:

The published pre takeoff checklist for my Foxbat has about 50 items in it. I would like to whittle it down to ten or so. Otherwise I just skim the list and could miss something. My Archer list is much shorter.

Hi PM send a message with your email and I'll send a copy of my checklists that you can edit for your needs / aircraft.  I find it helps me  when flying solo I usually talk the checks and when have a passenger just read quietly (else they might think I'm a nutter.) 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mike Gearon said:

Your cockpit organisation is impressive. I like those checklists and tail number reminders. Very cool. I will duplicate!

Nynja rudder authority… That’s it. Fuel behind the pilot as original design. Way better in the wing tanks. Changing COG throughout the flight would be annoying to say the least so who’d want to go back there.

It does seem a mod is in order though. Question is… would say another 50mm of up elevator as example be enough to allow the nose to lower more gently under 40-45kn?

A9102972-577C-4A3D-8ADC-40997C4EADE8.png

I'll try another 1 degree up.  At present can keep nose up with full back stick; however sometimes don't get stick to full back. 

• Like 2

IFR training at Lincoln, NE. Garmin MARQ automatically starts when I take off then sends the flight to Strava as a “run”. It’s impressed my Facebook friends. Pic here is it deciding while indoors it can direct a flight back to Lincoln from the coffee shop. That and oxygen sensing and being my birthday present almost makes the 3k AUD okay. 

IFR training at 32 hours is finally a little easier. Holding attitude and heading while under hood easily while programming approaches in the Garmin 650 even in windy thermslling conditions today. Final little ARC in approach track above Lincoln in map was circling approach. Runway 32 then circle around and land 35. I actually enjoyed that bit amongst the torture.

Programming and Flying approaches now seems easy. Test IFR exam at 82% and will exam when I hit 90%. Same 70% pass needed like CASA.

Radio not easy. I’m going to spend time listening to ATC live and give my wife random long heading and altitude info with “cleared for approach etc I’ll read back. More than 3 items and I’m struggling still. I’m thinking both practice and good prep/ understanding of approach plates will help. That and just more time on radio. Bloody faulty call buttons in 2 or 3 of the 7 aircraft annoying. I showed the instructor the indentation from trying to wiggle and push the damn thing into working. How much is a call button? 2 1/2 hour lesson with say 1 1/2 hour flying is some 400 USD/ 600 AUD. They make enough to replace call buttons. 

4290D27D-5B66-492D-A6C9-1DDD6D546770.jpeg

97FBD88F-08E3-4010-9A44-052B64E6E036.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Mike at my factory next to Canberra airport I have the radio scanner rolling on about six aviation comms channels. I think that embeds some aviation radio ATC speak ' subconsciously into my brain. Occasionally I'll read back out loud.

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, RFguy said:

Mike at my factory next to Canberra airport I have the radio scanner rolling on about six aviation comms channels. I think that embeds some aviation radio ATC speak ' subconsciously into my brain. Occasionally I'll read back out loud.

That is always good,  I have the usual responses and their meaning as a placard above and to my left as a reminder; as I'm not using them all the time and in an effort to give the correct reply.

Regarding my comment on saying my checklist when solo, this was something I took away from an investigations training course with ATSB in Canberra,  worth a visit if you can.  The saying of checklists has one origin from Japanese Rail  train conductors to prevent compliancy with procedures.

Cheers

• Like 1

"Compliancy" with procedures?  Predictive text error? Surely you meant "complacency"?

That's interesting, the Japanese safety check system. Japanese train wrecks are virtually non-existent, and I believe the Japanese Bullet train has never had a crash.

One Bullet train stopped very rapidly when an aluminium plate fell off the train at 285kmh and the plate hit the power cable for the trains and cut the power, forcing a sudden stop.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/pointing-and-calling-japan-trains

Edited by onetrack
  • Agree 1

A "Checklist " is not intended as  a guide or prompt as to what to do. It's to confirm the vital actions have been done at certain appropriate points of the course of the flight.   Nev

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, onetrack said:

"Compliancy" with procedures?  Predictive text error? Surely you meant "complacency"?

That's interesting, the Japanese safety check system. Japanese train wrecks are virtually non-existent, and I believe the Japanese Bullet train has never had a crash.

One Bullet train stopped very rapidly when an aluminium plate fell off the train at 285kmh and the plate hit the power cable for the trains and cut the power, forcing a sudden stop.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/pointing-and-calling-japan-trains

Yes, my poor spelling.  Yes the talking aloud their check points is a noted safety improvement; did the course 20 years ago but one of many beneficial learnings.  Unable to edit.  Thanks and cheers.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Meet up with the Sydney flying group today at a nearby farm strip, Ochre Arche near Grenfell. Nice day talking aviation and walking in the bush. I guess someone had to bring a plane that was not a Cessna😂

20220716_144143.jpg

20220716_131513.jpg

• Like 5