Tell us about your last flight

Admin

2 hours ago, pmccarthy said:

Went for a local flight near Creswick yesterday. Each white heap is an old waste dump from a gold mine on the Berry Lead.

C9281E4D-BC34-4F36-9623-F56FE5227137.jpeg

Found it!
image.thumb.jpeg.0435224a977ac11748fb435c97987cbd.jpeg
You Mexicans sure have some unusual place names: Gong Gong, Blowhard, Smokeytown, Weatherboard, Bung Bong…

• Like 3

The area was settled in the early 1850s. So we have quite a few places named after battles and people from the Crimean war headlines. Such as

Sebastopol, Inkerman, Redan, Alma, Balaclava, Malakoff. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

46 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Really ONLY applies in places like TEXAS, doesn't it ?  This is too silly to debate.  Nev

Not a debate - just saying ,how Mexicans (sorry Victorians) got their monica

• Like 1

What gets me is when the Septic Tanks say place names like "London, England" "Paris , France"  "Rome , Italy" etc - these places do not require a geographic location. Different story if its London, Ontario, Gloster, NSW etc or other later adopters of a famous place name.

Edited by skippydiesel
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Caution 1

I enjoy all the "character" and original Australian place names. It's depressing to find so many old Australian place names were simply the result of naming places after similar-looking places in the Old World. A lot of these early immigrants must have been pretty homesick. I'm amazed at the number of place names that fall into this category, I still keep finding them!

But names like Mt Nameless, Lake DIsappointment, Egg and Bacon Bay, Starvation Bay, Candlelight, Point Torment, Useless Loop, etc, all represent a bit of Australian initiative in naming.

https://www.winetraveler.com/australia/funny-town-place-names-in-australia/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, onetrack said:

I enjoy all the "character" and original Australian place names. It's depressing to find so many old Australian place names were simply the result of naming places after similar-looking places in the Old World. A lot of these early immigrants must have been pretty homesick. I'm amazed at the number of place names that fall into this category, I still keep finding them!

But names like Mt Nameless, Lake DIsappointment, Egg and Bacon Bay, Starvation Bay, Candlelight, Point Torment, Useless Loop, etc, all represent a bit of Australian initiative in naming.

https://www.winetraveler.com/australia/funny-town-place-names-in-australia/

Believe me when I say that, "naming places after similar-looking places in the Old World". is not the case.

In my youth, I spent a little time in the Cotswolds - Gloucester (in Gloucestershire) bears no resemblancea t all, to Gloucester in NSW, same goes for Cardiff/Newcastle (although both are by the sea) etc etc and I suspect this "rule" pretty much applies for most if not all.

The white man tried to turn Australia into a version of Britten - importing place names, animals and plants

• Informative 1

6 hours ago, sfGnome said:

One of the things that we found when we lived in Europe was how many of their places are named after Australian towns… 😛

Yes. The poms copied a lot of our town names.😁

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marty_d said:

No! No it's not. And we're full.

We have been to Tassie 5 time's still haven't seen the place, so much so that I have a Tassie driving license...and have been to Nowhere else and the promised land...there is a place near Bundaberg also called Promised Land .

Bernie.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1