Tell us about your last flight

Admin

13 hours ago, Thruster88 said:

A quick fly in the thruster for '23 harvest. A little on the dry side this year, yields and prices are very good. Farming is a great life style for enjoying aviation. 

20231120_135540.jpg

great photo. what width is the comb on the header.  silly question but it looks huge.  now i am going off topic 

Edited by BrendAn

45 feet or 13.5 metres. With the yields in this area it is bigger than required to load (use all the 400+ horsepower  available) of threshing bit of the combine harvester. They are contractors so it makes sense in lower yields to keep ground speed down to manageable levels.

• Informative 1

29 minutes ago, Thruster88 said:

45 feet or 13.5 metres. With the yields in this area it is bigger than required to load (use all the 400+ horsepower  available) of threshing bit of the combine harvester. They are contractors so it makes sense in lower yields to keep ground speed down to manageable levels.

when i used to cart grain i think most headers in our area were around 30 ft.  they are big machines these days. to keep it aeronautical the thruster must be a fantastic tool for inspecting large farms. birds eye view at 50 knts.

• 1 month later...

Hey Blue, if you flew before 10am local that could be considered last year🤔. I flew into Cowra today dec 31 2023 to get fuel and flew home 20 mins later in the new year.

Screenshot_20240101-132834_Flightradar24.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

2 minutes ago, Thruster88 said:

Hey Blue, if you flew before 10am local that could be considered last year🤔. I flew into Cowra today dec 31 2023 to get fuel and flew home 20 mins later in the new year.

Screenshot_20240101-132834_Flightradar24.jpg

Flight finished after 9am Queensland time (no daylight saving up here, we like that or curtains don't fade too much.) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Thruster88 said:

But that's in your RV. 

If you'd taken your Thruster into town, you'd probably have landed back in 2022.

• Haha 5

image.thumb.png.e6ae51357719b009f534618ccda65954.pngI went for a quick fly new years day and had a stowaway. Glad my wife was not with me. I tried to attach a video but cannot work out how to do it using my phone.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Hmmm… I know some people (my son, for instance) who’d do +/-10G aerobatics faced with that. My beloved, on the other hand, would calmly ask me to please take it outside; a tad difficult at 1500’. 🙄

• Haha 1

The worst part about the buggers is the incredible speed they can run at, when spooked! - and they usually run straight up your arm at warp speed!!

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, onetrack said:

The worst part about the buggers is the incredible speed they can run at, when spooked! - and they usually run straight up your arm at warp speed!!

And good jumpers.

• Like 1

He (the Huntsman) started crawling up the door towards the air vent so I opened it for him then realized it was blowing onto my face so shut it again.. 

This big fella lives in our ceiling all winter and had just eaten a couple of parrots. Not sure if he can get into the plane though, might be interesting for passengers. Not sure why no-one wants to come flying with me.

image.thumb.jpeg.eae0a148e07e79b613530bf2f2fd1793.jpeg... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A carpet python? Nasty buggers, I don't like them. Found one crawling across the road and through the bush once, just West of Brookton.

I stopped the ute and followed him over to the fenceline, and he reared up like a King Cobra, and was going to have a go at me! So much for "harmless pythons"!

On 21/11/2023 at 7:11 AM, facthunter said:

It was when wool was a Pound a Lb. Nev

Showing your age Nev! Not many people now days would understand the impact that had on farming. Made many farmers rich overnight. It was before I was born by the way but heard many stories about it. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

My latest flight (hopefully not my last!) was today, just in a big sardine can (2 hours late while they replaced “a computer part that glitched”. 2 hours sitting on the tarmac in a totally full sardine can was no fun, but heaps better than running into a mountain because their instruments were cactus, so no complaints there).

Anyhow, the point of this is where we went - Queenstown NZ. What a phenomenal introduction to South Island scenery that flight path is. You kiwis really know how to do hills! Still miles out from the airport on final, look to the right and there’s a main road full of cars *above* you. (Drove that road later going down to Wanaka. Lots of fun, but would have been more fun in a sports car 😁). This place must look spectacular from the air, though the thought of the rotors coming off those peaks is a little scary. 

• Like 3

Fantastic flying gliders in NZ. But beware of their clouds many have rocks inside…,, and rotor..,. once into Wellington in a Fokker (this is last century) I saw classic rotor cloud on base and sure enough on final we flew straight into it…huge negative G, everything on the floor hit the ceiling and everyone’s hands were raised in surrender…. Followed immediately by strong positive G and screams. Fuck I had fun flying in that country: it didn’t matter if you were the pilot or a px in a sardine tube.  A couple of years ago my teenage son and I hitched a ride in a Cessna that dropped off half a dozen Jap tourists in a remote mountain valley (Siberia) at the end of a 7 day tramp in their hills.  The ‘airstrip’ was a 4 wheel drive track next to a creek.