Tell us about your last flight

Admin

You're flying in my old stamping ground. (out of West Maitland ) It's all pretty rough country and I'm not surprised you got a rough ride. It also has areas where the cloud can catch you as the topography gets a bit elevated,. Barrington often used to get snow. Watch the freezing level. You have NO anti icing.  Nev

Clouds will indicate rough air often when they are around to help you. Smooth edged ones are fairly harmless (lenticular).  Mountain ridges  are suss when there's a known wind prevailing. Talk to your Instructor and read on it. Gliding weather books can be a good source. That's what I used in my early DAYS. You're an airman and best to know about the air. Watch for Sea breezes moving through when you are going to coastal places. Their effect can be substantial and well inland from the coast..  Nev

• Informative 1

7 hours ago, facthunter said:

You're flying in my old stamping ground. (out of West Maitland ) It's all pretty rough country and I'm not surprised you got a rough ride. It also has areas where the cloud can catch you as the topography gets a bit elevated,. Barrington often used to get snow. Watch the freezing level. You have NO anti icing.  Nev

Hi Nev

yeah I watched for that with temps hovering around  +1 just below the cloud ~ 4k-5k ..

....It certainly causes a rethink of just enjoying flying in one's local region, just to enjoy flying like a bird

or ,

doing long trips that inevitably may suffer bad weather over days and days of the same forecast (that was this case) . I was prepared to turn around and head back anytime, the pinch being Rylstone region. I see there is also an option of going around the top at Gulgong and following the main road. That's all a bit lower, and a bit further north, all helps.

The technically difficult nature is one of the things that draws me to flying. A hard task outside my electronics world.  I studied the hell out of that route, got lots of info from others , plane prep-ed. But curiosity can also kill the cat.

again I think it comes down to being open to  turn around or change plan no matter how inconvenient.  , and recognising a potentially hazardous scenario unfolding. My 19,000 hour instructor, Rob Glenn, is full of anecdotes and real world examples or things that can happen.

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

There's an enormous contrast flying east from Cowra, and flying west.

Flying west is hot but there's nothing around, and usually not much moisture. maybe the odd gusty change, and hazardous willy willy near the ground.

But flying east... Death is everywhere, rocks in clouds, low ceilings, rising ground, unforgivable terrain , wind and eddys, lots of moisture, and  the oceanic effects colliding with the westerlies from the other direction....

I'm sure every region has similarities and can catch people.....The  far north Queensland coast and hinterland comes to mind.

Who else has their story of this ?

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RFguy said:

Who else has their story of this ?

I did a trip from Bairnsdale to Cessnock in early January one year. No worries about rain and clouds, but hot as hades, massive turbulence the whole way and dense haze through Sydney. Flying solo, I had no extra pair of eyes, and was utterly exhausted by the time I got to Cessnock. Didn’t fly for a while after that one…

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

Thanks for sharing Glen. Coming home from the Wanaka airshow recently I was crossing Cook Strait when the weather at destination clagged in. I followed the East Coast of the North Island to a small 500m strip next to the coast and landed there in deteriorating conditions a few minutes into my fuel reserve. This was not the forecast. Always have an out (or two)..

WF-FT.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2

Good choice Kiwi . My NZ glider mates tell me that that east coast run  is not fun with a westerly blowing, either. If you don't like wind and turb in NZ, you might not fly much.

and sfGnome , .,. yes I feel the same way, I'll stay out of my airplane for a couple of weeks . It's not scary, it's just no fun. Maybe its like having a 3 hour colonoscopy or something.

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 2

Took the Nynja to the beach today and caught up with friends there. Nice hard flat sand runway. Two other Skyranger’s,  a Sav XL, Zephur and a Trike. Very pleasant air.  

IMG_1080.jpeg

IMG_1079.jpeg

IMG_1078.jpeg

IMG_1075.jpeg

IMG_1073.jpeg

IMG_1072.jpeg

IMG_1070.jpeg

IMG_1066.jpeg

IMG_1064.jpeg

IMG_1061.jpeg

IMG_1059.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Winner 5

54 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

Great to see my old Zephyr back in the air 😊

Its back in the air.  The carb vent system is non Rotax spec (who did or advised that setup - recommended to correct to Rotax spec and the engine mount threads were very short so got him to fix that up)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blueadventures said:

Its back in the air.  The carb vent system is non Rotax spec (who did or advised that setup - recommended to correct to Rotax spec and the engine mount threads were very short so got him to fix that up)

The carb vents(s), two into one, with a perforated brass tube at the end, was in place when I purchased it way back about 15 years ago now. I assume that it was ATEC Zephyr installation and left it as is (replaced tubing at 5 year interval) System worked perfectly for me.  Engine ran like a sewing machine, never a problem. At 100 knots, 5200rpm, Fiti prop set for 5200 rpm static,  with full fuel and just me flying delivered  a tad over 12L/hr (including TO/Climb/landing).

"... engine mount threads were very short....."

Have no idea what this means - please expand.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skippydiesel said:

The carb vents(s), two into one, with a perforated brass tube at the end, was in place when I purchased it way back about 15 years ago now. I assume that it was ATEC Zephyr installation and left it as is (replaced tubing at 5 year interval) System worked perfectly for me.  Engine ran like a sewing machine, never a problem. At 100 knots, 5200rpm, Fiti prop set for 5200 rpm static,  with full fuel and just me flying delivered  a tad over 12L/hr (including TO/Climb/landing).

"... engine mount threads were very short....."

Have no idea what this means - please expand.

Just the threads were below the nylon insert in the nylocs.  The engine mount is not bolts so the welded thread was a set length.  It had sort of cup washers under the nuts so they were changed to get the pitch showing when nuts tightened.  

Yes, the carb vent system is very interesting / non rotax spec.

I even received a call from RAA Jarrod at Tech inquiring about the repair and over all condition; all good and he was happy at end of call conversation.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blueadventures said:

Just the threads were below the nylon insert in the nylocs.  The engine mount is not bolts so the welded thread was a set length.  It had sort of cup washers under the nuts so they were changed to get the pitch showing when nuts tightened.  

Yes, the carb vent system is very interesting / non rotax spec.

I even received a call from RAA Jarrod at Tech inquiring about the repair and over all condition; all good and he was happy at end of call conversation.

Skippy this is image of lower port engine mount bolt; others same. Thread not protruding nylon nut.

IMG_0646.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Blueadventures said:

Skippy this is image of lower port engine mount bolt; others same. Thread not protruding nylon nut.

IMG_0646.jpeg

That's quite scary to think an aircraft would be flying like that.

Edited by BrendAn
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

That's quite scary to think an aircraft would flying like that.

Yep same thoughts here.  It was corrected before its first flight after the repair was completed to the nose wheel leg etc.  Just part of the condition report inspection I made.

Edited by Blueadventures
  • Like 1

Lovely smoth winter morning in Gippsland. Bloody cold though.

IMG20240623104544.jpg

IMG20240623102402.jpg

Edited by BrendAn
  • Like 3

I just about brought the farm about 30minutes back.

Bloody bin chicken at about 700ft as I’m turning final for French island farm runway. Definitely got the heart racing. Way too quick to react. No clue they were there until last fraction of a second.

I’ve had some interesting flying moments. Never anything as close as this. 

IMG_4780.png

• Like 1
  • Informative 2
  • Winner 1

52 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Elon make them?  Nev

Not sure what U mean. It's a randkar xair. The one on the right. 😁

IMG20240602105439.jpg

• Like 2