Tell us about your last flight

Admin

There have been more than one SB or AD with regard to the Cessna seat locks and seat rails. Cessna introduced the Pilot Secondary Seat Stop, P/No SK210-174B, which should have been fitted to all applicable Cessnas by now.

https://www.casa.gov.au/sites/default/files/2021-09/airworthiness-bulletin-25-032-cessna-pilot-seat-track-locking-pre-flight-check-maintenance-and-mod-status

https://the195factory.com/products/sk210-174b-pilot-secondary-seat-stop

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RFguy said:

Great to hear. Isn't that hard, is it.. Except the paperwork is pretty full on. 

Yes, it's not hard really, the paperwork initially is a bit much, but you get there. The flying is a bit more procedural (radio and transponder management) and you need to be a bit more accurate with altitudes and track.

I actually did the CTA/Nav stuff last week and on the way back stuffed up my PFL -  it's the first one I've stuffed up since getting my RPC.

So had to go back this morning and show that I could do it, did 5 in the end, different scenarios.

It's been a good experience, I've flown 3 different Warriors and 2 Archers in the last 3 months.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RFguy said:

fantastic. How do you find the Warrior /Archer difference ? Is the instructor heavy ?

Intructor I did the training with and Tester are both 70kg ish.

Whilst the Warriors are fine, the Archer is a much nicer aircraft, the extra HP is noticeable. If I was buying, I'd take an Archer everyday.

Compared the the Sportstar, they both feel like dump trucks though with regards to handling.

They glide better than I expected - the handling gives the impression that they should just fall with style, but they do better than that, and if you're not paying attention, it's easy to overshoot.

"Compared the the Sportstar, they both feel like dump trucks though with regards to handling."

LOL. yes. The J230 is a real sports car compared to my Archer. And a Jabiru J120 is a sports car compared to a J230 ... and they're all dump trucks compared to Thruster's RV6. and I am sure Nev's F-27s are dump trucks compared to the Archer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, RFguy said:

"Compared the the Sportstar, they both feel like dump trucks though with regards to handling."

LOL. yes. The J230 is a real sports car compared to my Archer. And a Jabiru J120 is a sports car compared to a J230 ... and they're all dump trucks compared to Thruster's RV6. and I am sure Nev's F-27s are dump trucks compared to the Archer.

http://worldrecordplane.com/

I didn't fly the F 27 for any longer than I had to. I got to Timor every month in it. (Baucau) Get off the milk runs (East Coast).   The Douglas DC9 was known as the Ducati of the skies. but it didn't carry much fuel  .Nev

1 hour ago, BrendAn said:

Is the tell us about your last flight topic finished. I was going to post but I see the topics changed now.

Post. I think we all enjoy seeing what others are doing in the diverse world of aviation. Comments on posts should be kept to a minimum in this thread.  

• Agree 1
  • Caution 1

Yeah a bit of wander after each post is normal. 

I did two flights yesterday, each  had the 1 landing as glide onto the grass from downwind (I did one in each direction)   with ~ 30 deg bank turns at last 90 to 150  deg of turning (requires a flying a hook)   flying 7 to 10 knots above best glide  (which is about 1.4x Vs) at 80-85 kts,  which gives me plenty of leeway above the no flap stall speed  for turns, (and brief distractions )  and only  costs 50  fpm approx extra sink rate . I find to judge the landing location well that doing rate 1 turns ~ 11deg AOB is not goign to be sufficiently tight , and it needs something like 25  to 35 deg (and steeper if necessary but you got to keep the nose down and fast) . So, I feel that the best glide speed is fine if all I have to do is fly straight ahead or through shallow turns (say getting myself back to the strip or some landing zone  from altitude ) 

• Like 2

Practice LEVEL figure 8's and add and reduce power at the right times, till it's natural. When power off, lower the nose a bit instead.  When you're good at this you can put  flap out and control descent path and airspeed with power or attitude at the same time.

• Like 4
  • Informative 1

got up in the air yesterday,
nice little birthday present to myself.

weather was absolutely spectacular

hadn't flown in 6 months, or with this instructor. or the aircraft - normally fly its sister though so wasn't unfamiliar

so did some upper air work and then back to the circuit for some touch and go's.

Instructor was pretty hands off, made a few corrections mostly just talking me through things id forgotten or was rusty on (radio calls).
and once we had done stall's basically said as I'm licensed - it was all my choices how to return and join the circuit etc..

still cant believe they trust me to fly an aircraft. (I haven't actually done any solo time since getting my RPC - the next endorsement is the achievement to fly for)
instructor reckoned I was doing well, have a good feeling of the aircraft. just need practice to help with the procedural and mindsets

• Like 5

I’ve got my BFR done (took 3 flights to remove 7 years of rust 😛) and then I’ve done a couple more flights with the instructor to get checked out on another type (gives me more options for renting).

Last circuit of the day, he pulled the throttle when I was at circuit height and in line with the cross runway. Given the height and the fact that a landing on that strip would be slight downwind, I *should* have turned away from the strip and done a 270 to give myself a good, settled approach (the cross strip is much shorter than the main, and with a downwind landing, I needed to be putting it reasonably close to the keys). Of course, what I did was turn straight to the cross runway and try to lose 1000’ in zero distance. Oops. When it was obvious that I was going to run off the end of the strip (assuming that it was a real engine failure), I turned and landed in the second half of the main strip. Maybe not the most elegant of arrivals, but as he said, if it had been real then we would have walked away, so all good, and another lesson learned..

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, facthunter said:

No one ever gets to where they can't be any better. Never stop learning.  Nev

yeah, had an instructor sit me down a few flights ago, and really helped my mindset.
was stressed and making mistakes, which lead to more mistakes etc... trying to chase what was the standard in my head.

He reinforced that my own plan was to purely be a recreational once a month flyer....
so my focus should be on that, and as such they are looking for the safest choices,
don't focus on the mistakes, don't worry about trying to save things. if its not comfortable then breathe, reset and go again.
starting to feel tired and stressed - call it a day, there is no point in flying if I don't enjoy it.

And the instructor I was with yesterday reinforced that with a great pre-flight brief.
we are never in a rush in aviation - we do things quickly and efficiently, but never rushed

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Unless you are on fire. Don't get overconfident nor so underconfident that you don't give your best. Do the right things deliberately so you don't muck it up  even more. Prioritise what's essential. Understand and use what you have going for you.  Don't panic, but how do you know you won't. Know your actions and keep busy.   Nev

• Like 1

On 10/12/2022 at 1:28 PM, Thruster88 said:

Checking out my canola harvest. Feel very fortunate to have only lost about 25% of the area to excessive wet. No bogged headers, chaser bins or trucks, it's a miracle.  

20221210_125213.jpg

A quick fly in the thruster for '23 harvest. A little on the dry side this year, yields and prices are very good. Farming is a great life style for enjoying aviation. 

20231120_135540.jpg

• Like 6
  • Winner 1