Pilot passes out near Forbes

Yeah that is the incident I posted on the other thread about the 'Cessna" having the pilot pass out here a few days ago. The aircraft is a 1974 Piper Archer VH-PXB, I know her well. I used to own it back in 1998.

• Like 2

Very professional tub pilot, organising the correct resources, placing his aircraft, getting communications going so the right people got involved.

Great work by the passenger too, with an unconscious pilot visible beside him, a tiny amount of training, and even correcting things for the pilot at the last minute.

a tiny amount of training, and even correcting things for the pilot at the last minute.

Unless the pilot was also an instructor, it seems from the article that his only training was illegal stick time on three previous flights, a good investment on the part of the pilot!

• Agree 4

But if I give my wife enough stick time to potentially repeat this great outcome, even if we do it at 5000 feet, I am acting illegally.

Who wouldn't give their wife or anyone else who flys with one regularly stick time in case of an incident. There are some laws for the sake of common sense that need to be broken 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

• Agree 2

In the field of safety, we talk bout how many people we are going to kill - like a general does when planning a campaign. In an endeavour of risk it is what produces the lowest toll that matters.

The evidence is there that trying to teach someone to fly without the instructor training to do so, kills more people than are saved by "taking over"

Further underlining this are the numbers of zero time passengers talked down in GA aircraft without injury.

This case was a little like the argument people used to use that some accidents were safer without seat belts, but fatalities dropped 50% after they became mandatory.

The regulations were established after a lot of years of experience; be careful you don't cause exactly the reverse of this case and add to the statistics.

• Informative 1

I can't imagine how letting my wife understand the basic controls at a safe altitude would lead to a loss of control, let alone an accident. I'm not averse to paying for some dual hours in a club trainer, but I think experience in our own aircraft would be more valuable.

• Agree 1

There's no safe altitude for unskilled training.

If you have not been trained as an Instructor, then you don't know what you don't know.

The Regulations are not up for debate on a public forum; there are severe penalties for some transgressions, and the last thing this association needs is to draw further attention to itself.

If you are interested in this subject, it was done to death in another thread, and experienced Instructors stepped in and laid down a few home truths,

It's a pity that a thread which started out as good as this, with great information on the actions of a tug pilot could descend into another RA "we don't need to follow any rules because....debacle"

The tug pilot, who I think we all agree was the hero of the day said it was getting the communications up that was the key factor; that's the message we should be taking away from this.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

That isn't related to my post recently:http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/channel-7-have-lost-the-plot.112553/#post-409191

Cos in my post it was a cessna, and in this it is a cherokee.

What: Are we getting as dangerous as that other "land of the brave"?

Wow, that means that we had to separate incidents of pilots passing out in one week. Not good