Rainex

Russ

Bottle clearly states " use on exterior glass"Feedback re using on my jab screen ( being plastic )

Russ

Not sure of the detrimental effects if any when used on plastic but I think your best bet would be to use 'plexus' or similar product, as it is designed for plastic/ Perspex it would be a better choice. It helps bead any water up very similar to Rainex and also keeps Perspex in top shape:thumb up:

There are some that are suitable for motorcycle helmets/ visors. I can't see a problem with those which are good quality. To clean them I have exclusively used "plexus" myself as I have not emphasised the need for rain repellent.

Don't use RainBoe or such as used on commercial jets as it needs to be sprayed in when in rain and spread by wipers when water is present or it pugs up (smears) and you can't see through it. Nev

• Agree 1

Following the manufacture's instructions usually works well - I know neither for Rain X nor jab but I would hazard a guess that either may have the answer.

The manual for my aeroplane states: "Never use ... glass cleaner to clean the plexiglass. These materials will attack the plastic and may cause severe crazing." Glass cleaner is generally more aggressive than plastic cleaner - no reference for that comment, sorry, but if you check out cleaning instructions from perspex suppliers you should find similar advice.

I was at a CASA seminar some years ago and involved in one of a number of small working groups at one of the sessions considering pilot instruction techniques. It was an educational process for us so no reason to tackle a real issue and with half a dozen pilots in the group, I suggested something simple so we wouldn't waste much time arguing about the procedure. So, cleaning the windscreen was our topic. By the end of our session, four members of our group had got so worked up on the technical considerations that they were adamant that CASA should introduce training requirements and competency sign-off specifically in cleaning windscreens. In retrospect, might've saved one flying school recently which had to replace the windscreen of a new Cessna.

I am acquainted with the chap that makes jab screens, ( he lives alongside my home strip ) he says lightly soapy water, nothing else. He actually wears clean cotton gloves handling the screens etc, saying finger prints, oils etc is a real pain to control.

But.......that I know for sure, does not aide rain visibility, ( mist / drizzle, etc )

Looking at my installed screen, how one replaces it, for whatever reason , looks like one major task. ( think I might give that plexus a go, here's hoping all goes well ) used it before on other tasks, worked great.

• Helpful 1

Rainex has been specified in the certification for several aircraft of my knowledge, as a means of ensuring rain does not obscure the windscreen. It was originally developed, as I recall, for precisely this purpose. It can also be used on the inside of the windscreen, to prevent misting. I've used it on my cars for decades; my son used it on an acrylic windscreen in his car in lieu of wipers, for a year or so - it worked very well. I consider it should be mandatory for driving at night in rain; and I've only good experience of it on acrylics.

Dont use the normal rainex on the inside. I tried and it does not stop fog at all in helmets or goggles. Get a propper defoggimg agent for inside like rainex antifog. But make sure you only used the specified amount or less. Too much and it obscures vision in my experience. Rainex anti fog works well from my experience. But i think if i was trying it in an aircraft i would only do a certain section of the screen. No use doing the whole screen and finding out the hard way.

Dont use the normal rainex on the inside. I tried and it does not stop fog at all in helmets or goggles. Get a propper defoggimg agent for inside like rainex antifog. But make sure you only used the specified amount or less. Too much and it obscures vision in my experience. Rainex anti fog works well from my experience. But i think if i was trying it in an aircraft i would only do a certain section of the screen. No use doing the whole screen and finding out the hard way.

Ta, that's useful; I hadn't come across their anti-fog grade.

...if i was trying it in an aircraft i would only do a certain section of the screen. No use doing the whole screen and finding out the hard way.

Damned good advice, Doc. One winter I was experimenting with sealing all the cold air draughts from my bike helmet. After taping all round the visor I put on the helmet and set off on the busy highway, only to have condensation cause a total screen block. Lucky to live.

There is a marine product sold, users say it is really good, works same as rainex, but is for plastics etc etc, might be worth checking it out. Forgot the name tho, sorry.

Ive used rain x plenty on cars glass and it great no doubts

Its a very high solvent stuff, evaporates off quickly and somehow the active bonds to glass and stays there even with wipers foing for hours

Solvents and plastics generally a bad mix

Even without it jab windscreen dont let water settle, they are designed so it runs off the sides and into the cockpit :)

What are you doing flying in rain anyway?

Ive used rain x plenty on cars glass and it great no doubtsIts a very high solvent stuff, evaporates off quickly and somehow the active bonds to glass and stays there even with wipers foing for hours

Solvents and plastics generally a bad mix

Even without it jab windscreen dont let water settle, they are designed so it runs off the sides and into the cockpit :)

What are you doing flying in rain anyway?

Water acts as a pro-crazing structural lubricant for acrylics (perspex etc)... I've used Rainex on two (2) perspex windscreens, about 3 years between them, about 60,000km on Queensland country roads, they survived because the rainex meant I only had to use the wipers about 3 times. I use it on all my Thrusters, all my motorcycle helmets, glass windscreens, and the dog. None have yet crazed in use, although a visor got a nasty scratch after I rear-ended a semi trailer on a 'bike...

Look, Jabs are so slow, sometimes the rain catches up... get a Thruster...

Years ago we used to clean all the club aircraft windscreens with Pledge furniture polish. It got rid of the bugs & dirt easily & put a good slippery polished surface on the plexiglass/perspex. It never smeared or anything, the windscreens all lasted a long time & rain beaded off well.

I used Aerospace 303 on several yachts with excellent results in terms of lack of UV degradation and general limitation of salt encrustation etc. but it's a bit hard to gauge its effectiveness as a water dispersant when it's waves coming over the coamings. It certainly claims water dispersal.

Going from point "A" to point "B", .....and my wooden prop is handling that just fine.

Flying in rain requires "a method" .....and it does work. ( else where here I posted my method ) taught to me by another chap.

I,m not talking full on torrential rain here.....light to medium, and extended for a long time.

My only problem, is me jab leaks like the proverbial. ( doors ) but that is about to be rectified. ( gutters ) ex Bundy.

Going from point "A" to point "B", .....and my wooden prop is handling that just fine.Flying in rain requires "a method" .....and it does work. ( else where here I posted my method ) taught to me by another chap.

I,m not talking full on torrential rain here.....light to medium, and extended for a long time.

My only problem, is me jab leaks like the proverbial. ( doors ) but that is about to be rectified. ( gutters ) ex Bundy.

Get a Thruster - they don't leak, they embrace the rain!rain.gif.5409f0367857047bb0ed70f1ff7b4d3b.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Few days back we toddled off South, weather looked ok, about 3 hrs later we are by now heading home, yip, the weather was closing in, rain cells ahead, we weaved our way around them as best poss, by now the cells are getting more wet, more closing in, retreating was not an option by now, ordinarily I do my in rain management, no probs, but this time I was forced to gain about 3000ft to get up onto my home turf area, all ended up good. Prop got quite a workout with rain damage, so yesterday I sanded it back removing all the damage etc, re coated it with polyurethane paint. Today........I took it for a blat, to check balance etc etc was all good. Bloody hell, me jab was like a greyhound on steroids.....unreal. I,m pulling off power way under my normal cruise setting , achieving my normal cruise speed at around 97kts IAS......the difference was amazing in me jab. Moral of the story.....keep your prop in pristine condition it really pays, keep it as new.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1