Crazy low pass

Wow, two dikheads, one in the plane, one on the ground, and they both survived. The odds of that are quite astronomical.

Maybe the cameraman is number three. Then again the video stopped abruptly, maybe he copped the wingtip?

No it did not hit the cameraman that would be all over the news no matter were it happened. I'd say maybe a tight edit to cover rego or the signwriting. Most jump ships have something like 'Skydive Arizona' on them.

Reminds me of the RAF C130 accident in 1994 where Squadron Leader Mike Morison did a very low-level beatup over a drop zone, passing overhead an Army dispatcher standing on the roof of a vehicle.

The dispatcher was struck by the cargo ramp and killed instantly. Morison was charged with manslaughter but eventually acquitted at trial. However he lost his Commission (as a military officer, getting kneecapped and having your hands cut off would be of less consequence than being punitively stripped of your commission, which has serious financial consequences and is the end of your career). I doubt he would ever have been employed by anyone in aviation since then.

All fun and games until someone loses an eye……….

Guest Andys@coffs

In years gone by the likelihood of something being filmed, let alone shared with the entire world was non existant unless prearranged, now that 99% of the population over 10 has a smartphone with a camera that is good enough for anything slower than mach1 means that CASA doesn't really need to be out in the field looking for ijits...they merely have to troll youtube and the ijits will be presented directly to them. A very different world than what it was 20 years back.

A very unfortunate incident that C130 one...but for me it tops it off that the guy that was killed was a dispatcher seems like the SqnLdr was the one more able to claim that role in that incident.

Andy

Back in the dark ages, where we used 'human markers' for marking the swathes for spraying ops, at least they were briefed to move off once the aircraft was settled onto it's spray run and there was time to pace out the next swathe before being oversprayed. They moved upwind, so usually didn't get sprayed.

The really dumb manoeuvre that this pilot did is to begin turning the aircraft at low level - when the person standing would have not been visible under the nose. The pilot wouldn't have any idea if they had moved to, or away, from him - and that's assuming the pilot briefed the spectator 054_no_no_no.gif.950345b863e0f6a5a1b13784a465a8c4.gif. Anyway, the smart thing is to climb a bit before dropping a wing - avoids the chance of digging the tip into crop or bush.

happy days,

• Like 1

C185 at Corowa in the late 70's did a beat up over a car stuck the gear leg in thru the windscreen and took it off went on to crash at Albury. Pilot then learnt she killed her young son.

A guy I know told me this! It happened a few years ago. A couple of mates of his were in a paddock, busy planting sugar cane. There was one guy driving the tractor and two guys on the planter which was attached to the back of the tractor. Neither the tractor nor the planter had an overhead canopy so there was nothing to shield them from the aircraft. The guy in the aircraft realised they hadn`t seen him flying around so he thought it would be a bit of harmless fun if he gave them an overhead Buzz so he came in from behind and did a very low pass over their heads.

Later that day he rang his mate ( the guy driving the tractor ) thinking they`d have a good laugh together, instead of laughing his mate got stuck into him, telling him never to do that again. The sudden noise of the aircraft frightened the driver so he jumped hard on the brakes and they all went flying forward into what was in front of them. Fortunately they only got a few bruises but what the pilot first thought would be just a bit of fun could quite easily have turned into tragedy. The pilot was quite embarrased about it all, when he was telling me.

Moral of the story!...We`re all capable of doing stupid things at times! Think well before you acting.

Frank.

• Agree 2

Many, many stories about the late Lang Hancock and his exploits with an old C172 when he lived on Wittenoom station - (up in the Pilbara,WA). The story goes that he was trying to attract the attention of a driver in a Landcruiser on one of the gravel backroads. He clipped the top of the steel frame behind the cab - ripped off a gear leg - realised he'd done the 172 some serious injury - so wrote a note for the driver. The ute had stopped by this time, so the driver was able to see the gear leg in the tray, and figured it must be associated with the bloody big 'bang' that he'd just experienced. Back came the 172 - dropped the note - and flew off. The note read: 'please drop the gear leg back to Wittenoom station when you can''

That's an unadorned version..... it tells much better the later at night you spin it!

happy days,

Many, many stories about the late Lang Hancock and his exploits with an old C172 when he lived on Wittenoom station - (up in the Pilbara,WA). The story goes that he was trying to attract the attention of a driver in a Landcruiser on one of the gravel backroads. He clipped the top of the steel frame behind the cab - ripped off a gear leg - realised he'd done the 172 some serious injury - so wrote a note for the driver. The ute had stopped by this time, so the driver was able to see the gear leg in the tray, and figured it must be associated with the bloody big 'bang' that he'd just experienced. Back came the 172 - dropped the note - and flew off. The note read: 'please drop the gear leg back to Wittenoom station when you can''

That's an unadorned version..... it tells much better the later at night you spin it!

happy days,

The ute driver obviously must have done the deed because what's described as being Lang's old C172 is currently offered for sale (in a dis-assembled and very rough state) and she's standing on both her main gear. Like the old cowboy said "Reckon I wouldn't sell my horse for a million dollars but if it could talk, I'd have to shoot it!" Likewise with LH's plane I'd guess. cheeers