Relocating the office...where to?

kaz3g

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To be honest I would rather the RAA office based no where near me. Not that I do anything wrong but it would be like being flying out of a police station.

I think I said something similar waaaay back when this thread started, good to have it close (an hour or two or three flying) but not at the local airfield. Lol I'm sure I would be popular (that silly looking hornet is taking up our airspace just rambling around!).

• Like 1

I don't think any of the airfields west of the great divide will be in the running , simply because I dont think the staff want to live out in the bush. Caboolture on the other hand is OCTA , on the coast and next door to Brisbane.

Caboolture is fine if you live in the NE of Australia, but not so good for all the rest of us. A national body needs to be fairly accessible to the majority of its membership and some where in southern-central NSW is probably about the fairest you can get.

I started the discussion by suggesting Griffith because it doesn't have any specific group expressing proprietary interests here. It has good weather, great facilities, RPT, schools, hospital, sports, no traffic jams and it's as near as I can judge equi-distant from the major concentrations of our membership as is reasonably practical.

Everyone wants somewhere near their own home field but the decision needs to be taken after due consideration of less parochial factors that might advance the business.

Kaz

• Agree 1

Put them at Mangalore

I won't go near Mangalore these days and I live 15 minutes flying time from it. International students and landing fees make it less welcoming than in the old days.

Kaz

Caboolture is fine if you live in the NE of Australia, but not so good for all the rest of us. A national body needs to be fairly accessible to the majority of its membership and some where in southern-central NSW is probably about the fairest you can get.I started the discussion by suggesting Griffith because it doesn't have any specific group expressing proprietary interests here. It has good weather, great facilities, RPT, schools, hospital, sports, no traffic jams and it's as near as I can judge equi-distant from the major concentrations of our membership as is reasonably practical.

Everyone wants somewhere near their own home field but the decision needs to be taken after due consideration of less parochial factors that might advance the business.

Kaz

Actually the majority of members live in SE QLD and NSW. We have had this disussion before and half distance between Melbourne and Cairns is actually Charleville in Qld.

• Agree 1

Tassie is still part of Australia isn't it? There's no rush to act on this and the planes we fly are only used when we are not in a hurry, so Highway and Airline access is important. We should share it with other similar bodies to reduce costs. Nev

Tassie is still part of Australia isn't it? There's no rush to act on this and the planes we fly are only used when we are not in a hurry, so Highway and Airline access is important. We should share it with other similar bodies to reduce costs. Nev

The numbers of RAA pilots in Tassie is small hence I used Melbourne to Cairns as it covers most of the east coast where the majority of RAA members live. Southern - central NSW is no where near central to the majority of members. Just sayin

Caboolture is fine if you live in the NE of Australia, but not so good for all the rest of us. A national body needs to be fairly accessible to the majority of its membership and some where in southern-central NSW is probably about the fairest you can get.I started the discussion by suggesting Griffith because it doesn't have any specific group expressing proprietary interests here. It has good weather, great facilities, RPT, schools, hospital, sports, no traffic jams and it's as near as I can judge equi-distant from the major concentrations of our membership as is reasonably practical.

Kaz

In my opinion if you talk about RPT access it needs to be Brisbane or Sydney. To get to Griffith I would need to first fly to Sydney/Brisbane/Melbourne then a connecting flight to Griffith. That's no different then where HQ currently is in Canberra. If we were to move it really needs to be within the Brisbane or Sydney basin, most likely Brisbane as it has easier access to a majority of members (SEQ and Northern NSW is a couple hours drive or a short flight away). If we are also talking about staging our "fly event", you really want maximum exposure to the general public as well, so it needs to be close to a major population, or the very least a short cheap RPT flight (i.e. from Sydney to Brisbane).

Totally agree, Caboolture does seem to fit what most of us are describing.

The numbers of RAA pilots in Tassie is small hence I used Melbourne to Cairns as it covers most of the east coast where the majority of RAA members live. Southern - central NSW is no where near central to the majority of members. Just sayin

SA and WA obviously don't count, either. Griffith is an easy day's flight from most of Qld and SA. Unfortunately, Tassie and WA will always be disadvantaged hence the importance of RPT connections.

It's not just the locations where the majority membership reside, but an equitable outcome as far as possible for all of us.

I'm glad it's not my decision.

Kaz

I can't see any point in trying for it at the moment. We have more pressing needs. No harm in thinking about it, but we need to keep our eye on the ball. Nev

I agree, it would be interesting to know what the current financial membership number is. I guess it would a fair bit lower than the peak membership number of a few years ago.

Would not surprise me if it went down 2500. Not all due to RAAus problems. (the bulk of which should be behind us) The changes to CASA staffing could not be a bad thing., so I'm quietly optimistic for the growth possible in the future. We do need to recruit younger people, ((Like so many organisations these days)..The COST of aircraft has to be an obstacle for many. Nev

Could one of the Board Members who frequent this forum possibly provide a breakdown of the demographics of the RAAus membership base so that we have a true indication of the demographics involved?

Firstly by state which should be easy to extract from our membership database, and if possible by City region (so Sydney area, Brisbane area etc.).

Once we have the demographics of the membership base, it may be easier to drill down to a region that may be desirable from a members accessibility perspective.

In general, perhaps the Board could establish a working party to properly investigate the viability of establishing a new HQ for the organisation? I suggest that the Board call for volunteers to participate in the working party, to be supervised by a nominated Board member, and whose findings would be reported to the Board for their consideration. Having volunteers from outside the Board to do the leg work would minimise the impact of such a project on the ability of the Board to run the organisation.

Just sayin' just don't cut it. The centres are BNE Canberra and Melbourne. The rest, while significant, doesn't constitute a huge amount. The would put the RAA population pressure centre of Ultralights at "Pretty Plains" just a bit east of Orange at East Guyong.

Could one of the Board Members who frequent this forum possibly provide a breakdown of the demographics of the RAAus membership base so that we have a true indication of the demographics involved?Firstly by state which should be easy to extract from our membership database, and if possible by City region (so Sydney area, Brisbane area etc.).

Once we have the demographics of the membership base, it may be easier to drill down to a region that may be desirable from a members accessibility perspective.

In general, perhaps the Board could establish a working party to properly investigate the viability of establishing a new HQ for the organisation? I suggest that the Board call for volunteers to participate in the working party, to be supervised by a nominated Board member, and whose findings would be reported to the Board for their consideration. Having volunteers from outside the Board to do the leg work would minimise the impact of such a project on the ability of the Board to run the organisation.

This was done by the previous CEO who divided the membership by postcodes. I asked for a copy but he then departed. It is easy to do - sort and sum by postcode.

• Like 1

Just sayin' just don't cut it. The centres are BNE Canberra and Melbourne. The rest, while significant, doesn't constitute a huge amount. The would put the RAA population pressure centre of Ultralights at "Pretty Plains" just a bit east of Orange at East Guyong.

Maybe SAAA calculated it correctly by relocating to Narromine? Dubbo is just up the road, and there's a steady stream of RPT into there. happy days,

• Agree 2

Are you on drugs ? Just asking

I could imagine the response from the experienced staff we currently have if the question was asked to them from management as follows ' we are moving location from Canberra to Pretty Plains . They would first say, err where the hell is that and then they would say yeah, nah. Lol