Malaysian Airlines MH370

According to the Encyclopaedia of Commercial Aircraft, the AN-14 was developed to replace Aeroflot's AN-2 fleet - so they must have had one? (fleet that is...080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif080_plane.gif.9d710ddbd073c38dc15beb9aed9f7a37.gif080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif)My T-83, with the 503 de-tuned to ~40hp because of the crap points ignition system and single carb, gets 3.1 gallons/hour (per seat, also) at 45kts, so the AN-2 is cheaper on fuel... perhaps a little more costly on engine overhaul?

3.1 gph? So, 3.1 gallons, or 11 litres or so, per 25 kilometers OTG in still air, per seat?? Makes my Jabiru look like a bloody Prius for economy and a WRX for performance.

May I suggest you move to a plastic deck chair and some weather balloons for a massive boost in range and economy? Or, walking.

• Agree 1

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3.1 gph? So, 3.1 gallons, or 11 litres or so, per 25 kilometers OTG in still air, per seat?? Makes my Jabiru look like a bloody Prius for economy and a WRX for performance.May I suggest you move to a plastic deck chair and some weather balloons for a massive boost in range and economy? Or, walking.

I don't mean to be picky but that 25 Kms seems to be way out?? I would've thought it would be around 80 Kms for the 11 litres ???

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yep, I always wanted to be slow and expensive, but I never managed it.

Only for the Sport edition.... The standard Thruster doesn't take off, the ground under it rejects the noise.

tsk, tsk... this from a man who used to ride a 6-cylinder Honda motorbike... 015_yelrotflmao.gif.6321765c1c50ed62b69cf7a7fe730c49.gifna_na.gif.fad5d8f0b336d92dbd4b3819d01d62e5.gif

'Twas expensive, but wasn't slow (no, NOT a Leadwing!)

I've ridden all 3 6 cylinder Honda's extensively, have owned a CBX and owned a Valkerie for a bit.

The CBX was under'tyred and only my TT500C Yamaha had forks that flexed more albeit a beautiful engine and stunning sound that is seldom matched even today, Goldwings are pigs and Valkeries are slightly less pigful.

I've ridden all 3 6 cylinder Honda's extensively, have owned a CBX and owned a Valkerie for a bit.The CBX was under'tyred and only my TT500C Yamaha had forks that flexed more albeit a beautiful engine and stunning sound that is seldom matched even today, Goldwings are pigs and Valkeries are slightly less pigful.

...ideal bikes for Chengdu traffic?

• Caution 1

Have to say they look happy! The rider must be too, bringing home the bacon.Just noticed the topic, was MH370 doomed by loose pigs? Because pretty much any scenario is credible at this point.

MH370 landed on a disused strip on a peninsula with an early bedtime, and are being politically re-educated. The hints and signals that have lead to the current search were actually a flight of pot-bellied pigs on amphetamines...

Getting back to MH370, I wonder how long the will continue to look for it ? The search must be costing a ship load of money.

Dazza,

Few weeks ago I heard it was up to 100 million most ever spent so far on a search, I personally think they are as close to finding it as they were the day it went missing.

Alf

• Agree 1

Well spotted Bex, I scanned a postcard sent from Vietnam by the bloke next door.

Well how about that, hard to tell the country now with this multiculture stuff. Ha ha I wondered if it was a Jewish suicide bomber heading for the Auburn mosque.... 045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif splat.gif.4fe5615d47cdda8649f5910181ed23f2.gif

I guess it depends on a few things not least of which would be how confident they are that they are in roughly the right spot. We only get the info that we hear/see on the news which is goodness knows how close to reality.

But if they were reasonably sure that they where in the right area then you can understand the reluctance to cut things short until they had done a fairly good sweep of the bottom.

Also I wonder how much of the exercise is a benefit to the defence force as a training scenario? What I mean is how often do they get to use all these fancy gadgets in anger?(not quiet worded how I mean but I hope you get the gist)

And also with the reduced search area I guess that they have a reduced search team which would lower the daily costs. (I haven't really been keeping up with the news so not sure how many ships etc are still out there.)

Guest Andys@coffs

The thing that worries me is the whole "triangulation thing" when we talk radio we generally talk radio waves taking a straight line....but with sea water all at different layer temps there is only one guarantee and that is that the line wont be straight........I also recall hearing at the beginning that the power output of the device was very small so as to get good battery life, and the distance that the sound could travel was a function of depth, the deeper it was the lower the distance the sound would propagate (and yet as kids if you put your ear to a rail line (being really dense...the rail that is) you can hear the train coming miles before you can hear it in the air), and yet when you look at the map that shows the Chinese reception of the pinger and the Australian Navy (with USA Navy gear) reception they are hundreds of miles apart....... It makes the whole certainty of triangulation seem eminently uncertain to me........

It also makes the saved cost of not having the more complex and expensive satellite data plan seem a bit of a joke...except of course that MAS isn't paying for the search......

Andy

P.S have to go to the USA soon.......seriously considering tossing the epirb in the carry-on, or maybe the SPoT.