Malaysian Airlines MH370

What is airline policy or airport security policy in regards to epirb's or PLB's in carry on luggage? Would be an expensive item to have to leave at the security desk if you were pushed for time!

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this day and age with every second trucking company having vehicle tracking as an important relatively cheap tool I can't understand why aeroplane companies don't have a similar setup problems like this wouldn't exist if they had their five minute location updates. Maybe I'm missing something but seems to me that it is so easily doable that it seems criminal not to be doing it.085_blah_blah.gif.5dd1f55e9e017c1ed039995789e61c55.gif

Maybe till now they haven't seen a need but I would think that they would be thinking very seriously about it now, good old hindsight can make the dumbest:loopy: person seem quiet intelligent:nerd:

• Agree 2

The cost of the search is irrelevant to the families, and negligible in comparison with what the military will commit to some questionable operations. If any good is to come of this, then it's encouraging to see rival nations helping each other in a humanitarian cause.

Even if the aircraft is never found, we will have learnt a lot more about our oceans. Mapping the bottom of the oceans is a vast project, but likely to be worthwhile.

I can't explain the satellite pings but to me everything seems to indicate it's not so far from where it turned around, I kind of go with the original oil rig worker's sighting as well as debris spotted by Vietnamese searchers in the first couple of days which put it at the same location.

Time will tell when currents eventually wash something up.

I can't find a story about a guy's boat that overturned off Exmouth WA and turned up a year later washed up on the shores of Madagasca.

The cost of the search is irrelevant to the families, and negligible in comparison with what the military will commit to some questionable operations. If any good is to come of this, then it's encouraging to see rival nations helping each other in a humanitarian cause.Even if the aircraft is never found, we will have learnt a lot more about our oceans. Mapping the bottom of the oceans is a vast project, but likely to be worthwhile.

The plane itself is $300 million new.

I guess the main reason they need to find it is to understand if flying is safe for millions who travel in them every year.

• Agree 2

The plane itself is $300 million new.I guess the main reason they need to find it is to understand if flying is safe for millions who travel in them every year.

We are flying next sunday to the USA then onto Canada. We are flying across in a Air New Zealand 777. I don't have any worries at all flying in the 777.

• Agree 2

We are flying next sunday to the USA then onto Canada. We are flying across in a Air New Zealand 777. I don't have any worries at all flying in the 777.

Great airline Dazza travelled with them a number of times, I see no worry, just be careful driving to the airport that will be the most dangerous part of the trip.

Have a good holiday you lucky B*****d.

Alf

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I entirely agree Dazza but if the 777 is carrying some inherent fault that may raise it's ugly head on the odd occasion then it's something that should be understood and delt with.

• Agree 1

Anyone know if the Malaysians have released MH370's cargo manifest yet? Just suitcases and mangosteens was it?

and the 2 Tons of handheld radios of which about 400kg would be the LiPo batteries.....move along sir nothing to see here....

................ I kind of go with the original oil rig worker's sighting as well as debris spotted by Vietnamese searchers in the first couple of days which put it at the same location.

Regrettably, eyewitness testimony is usually the least reliable evidence in an accident investigation. Investigators have to be extremely careful to corroborate it, because 6 eyewitnesses to an accident will often tell 6 totally different stories.

"the left wing was on fire"......."no the tail was on fire"....."no the tail was missing"......."It was spinning to the left"......."it wasn't spinning, it was diving steeply"........"I saw bits falling off it".........."it was intact, no bits were falling off it"..........etc, etc

Speaking of epirbs, what happened to the ELT on this aircraft?rgmwa

Normal EPIRBs/ELTs are not designed to operate underwater, however black box locators are.

and the 2 Tons of handheld radios of which about 400kg would be the LiPo batteries.....move along sir nothing to see here....

But... but.. LiPO batteries are perfectly safe as long as you leave the pin in, just like grenades, ce ne pas?

Guest Andys@coffs

Bob

I can guarantee your life will be interesting if you put a pin into a LiPo Battery.....If you have a hankering to do that, can you please have someone video and post here, there is guaranteed entertainment value if the battery is charged.......

As for putting a pin into a grenade.....must be one hell of a pin cause last I looked grenades seemed pretty hard on the outside

Andy

If all commercial passenger aircraft had an epirb/gps in a heat resistant housing that would not only float, but also absorb impact beacause it was encased in a gel, and was mounted in an area that it could break away easily if the aircraft hit whatever, then surely it's signals could be picked up, and be independant of any control from the flight deck, unlike a transponder. It would not matter if it was in the form of a ball which could in certain instances roll a short way away clear from the point of impact.

If the digital signal was proven to be in error, it should be able to be easily isolated so as not to caused further distress, but it's location would be able to be accurately located.

Surely something like this would not be hard to produce, and maybe too much reliance has been placed in what we have had and considered adequate in the past.

I'm sure this incident alone, will call for a new line in thinking.

Just my thoughts.

Planey

• Agree 3

Refer to slide 2

http://www.icao.int/NACC/Documents/Meetings/2013/ANIWG01/ANIWG01P04.pdf

Refer to section on FLYHT

http://www.jetwhine.com/2014/04/lessons-weve-already-learned-mh370/#more-5484

A November 2012 working paper from ICAO, the UN group, addressed improved aircraft tracking and data streaming after the 2009 Air France crash. That working group’s recommendations for some reason, were never acted upon.

No one gives a sh*t about any red faces.

They have done what they thought was right given the information they had, right ot wrong.

Hopefully sooner or later they'll find it and we'll all learn somthing from it.

• Agree 1

If they find it there Inmarsat will be in big trouble.I am of the idea that going to where it happened and search that whole area might help.Lets forget the pings and assume an engine fire on the left wing which damages the left wing.The right engine is powering suddenly the aircraft yaws left.The left wing breaks off and the plane plunges down.The Oil rig worker`s claim might be very valid.

That was one idea.There too many possibilities which could have been looked into but the information of pings dominated everything else such that other areas which could have provided clues became irrelevant.If the Australian JORN picked something then its justified.

And now this!!

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/malaysia-airlines-flight-370-georesonance-wreckage-of-a-commercial-airliner-found/

If they find it there Inmarsat will be in big trouble.I am of the idea that going to where it happened and search that whole area might help.Lets forget the pings and assume an engine fire on the left wing which damages the left wing.The right engine is powering suddenly the aircraft yaws left.The left wing breaks off and the plane plunges down.The Oil rig worker`s claim might be very valid. That was one idea.There too many possibilities which could have been looked into but the information of pings dominated everything else such that other areas which could have provided clues became irrelevant.If the Australian JORN picked something then its justified.

I haven't worked on a ocean rig but have worked 10/10/10 on outback NSW rigs and at night, early in the morning, stars are all you see as well as the occasional airliner going over clear as - if one was on fire it would stick out like dog's balls in the sky.

I have always been puzzled by the lack of reports from both people on the ground and military radar about MH370 and why I am in favour it never got past land again.

• Informative 1