ASIC renewal -RAA issues

pmccarthy

I am renewing my ASIC. The CASA website has a long list, very long list, of people who can witness a statutory declaration. The RAA ASIC renewal form only allows for officials of RAA or a Justice of the Peace. The JP is an outmoded function, there are none anywhere near where I live. They are not referred to much these days. I took my renewal documents to my solicitor but she refused to sign them because the RAA documents called for a JP. I pointed out the CASA list but she said the RAA document is quite clear on its requirements.

Why has RAA made it a hundred times more difficult to do this than CASA intended? Looks like I will have to make a trip to Melbourne to find an ageing JP.

I am renewing my ASIC. The CASA website has a long list, very long list, of people who can witness a statutory declaration. The RAA ASIC renewal form only allows for officials of RAA or a Justice of the Peace. The JP is an outmoded function, there are none anywhere near where I live. They are not referred to much these days. I took my renewal documents to my solicitor but she refused to sign them because the RAA documents called for a JP. I pointed out the CASA list but she said the RAA document is quite clear on its requirements.Why has RAA made it a hundred times more difficult to do this than CASA intended? Looks like I will have to make a trip to Melbourne to find an ageing JP.

At my local accountant everyone, including the receptionist, seems to be a JP.

• Haha 1

Why has RAA made it a hundred times more difficult to do this than CASA intended? Looks like I will have to make a trip to Melbourne to find an ageing JP.

I resemble that statement, trouble is I can't sign my own stuff

• Haha 1

RAA doesn't accept a commissioner of declarations which (is Qld at least) is a position specifically designed to perform the JP duties other then warrants, summonses and acting as a magistrate . When I queried this I was informed that the process probably needs addressing but as RAA is going to stop issuing ASICs then it's unlikely.

So had my application returned resigned by a JP and re sent. New card issued, just waiting for its arrival in the post. So next renewal will be $205 (CASA) instead of $160 (RAA ).

Apart from the fact that whole ASIC card thing is a complete waste of money, I was disappointed to hear that a cheaper alternative to the CASA rip off is ceasing (without any alternative then watch the price rise). Townsville Airports also issue one for $230 AND impose a 20 question exam on Townsville airport as a condition. The whole process serves no practical purpose other then raising money.

The whole issue is out of control and getting worse.

• Agree 6

I resemble that statement, trouble is I can't sign my own stuff

The problem is that we have 8 different legal jurisdictions in this country and each one wants to set its own rules as to who can witness things like affidavits and statutory declarations amongst other things. And even then, some authorities seem to want to set their own rules within a particular jurisdiction.

We go to war as Australians. One day we might do other things as Australians as well - and not as citizens of anachronistic States.

Imagine how much wasted expenditure there is in having, for example, 8 criminal law systems...legislation, police, lawyers, courts, prisons, parole boards, corrections, youth justice, etc.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a Federal Government with the balls and the vision to set the wheels of change in motion to save all us taxpayers hundreds of billions wasted on duplication of government and services provided?

Kaz

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Winner 1

I can't believe we still have this stupid ASIC thing. I wonder who the knob jockeys were at the Department of Transport and Regional Services who dreamed up the stupid idea back in the day. I am so glad that I have never had one.

CASA has its own list just as RAA does. CASA does not make the rules wrt ASICs. You don't have to get your ASIC from RAA or CASA. I get mine from http://www.aviationidaustralia.com.au

CASDA use Aviationidaustralia to do all their ASIC/AVID and I believe a few dollars cheaper but you HAVE to go to aviationidaustralia via the CASA link

Was amazed when I downloaded the ASIC forms from the CASA web site, decided to use the KISS principal & used an oniline outfit Security ID, from the initial online application to receiving the ASIC card was 8 days, they do all the Aus checks etc for you, definitely worth the extra $40.

Well at least RAA added a JP to the list.

When I first got mine there was a signature required (amongst others) by a CFI who had an ASIC. Trouble was mine didn't.

Adding a JP is a definite improvement.

Like others, I don't like it, but play by the rules.

Phil

if they had any brains they would let pilots use their passport as a form of ID instead of having to get a ASIC/AVID

Even then it seems they can't get it right in some places, at least. Passports belonging to 2 European guys were used by a couple of Asian men who were on the missing MAS flight.

Kaz

if they had any brains ...

Not so much brains as someone in authority showing a bit of nous. Using initiative is rarely good for your career prospects. We have to remember that most systems are like septic tanks: the really big chunks rise to the top.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

"Aviation ID" it,s easy through them folks. And getting certified copies, just take the lot to your local court house, costs nothing, easy as. They compare your copy with the orig, then stamp copy and sign it off.

• Agree 2

"Aviation ID" it,s easy through them folks. And getting certified copies, just take the lot to your local court house, costs nothing, easy as. They compare your copy with the orig, then stamp copy and sign it off.

Russ

It is not getting certified copies, happens with whatever authority you use, and that part is free as JPs [and Commissioner of Declarations] cannot charge for the service, (I am one but can't sign my own obviously) but what does "Aviation Id" charge for their service? Above post states $216.

My point is it a waste of money for a useless red card - since it's introduction I have only been asked for it twice, once at Birdsville and once at Emerald - both locations would be high on the terrorist list of useable airports???

I wear the stupid thing around my neck as required at all security controlled airports, but every time you look down it is turned around so not visible, so actually achieves nothing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

And the same if renewing with aviation ID via the CASA site.

if they had any brains they would let pilots use their passport as a form of ID instead of having to get a ASIC/AVID

Photographic licences, Dazza. Plastic, not paper as my PPL is. I'd happily pay $200 for a 10 year renewal of the PPL like I do for my driver's licence instead, I have a paper one with a photocopied B&W photo of me taken about 10 years ago. RAA could do the same.

It would be so easy to incorporate a chip to prevent fraud, too.

Kaz

• Agree 6

Can I copy yours?.............It just doesn't make sense. Someone with the intent of carrying out a terrorist act is not going to copy an ASIC card? Really?...............If it's a home grown chappie with murderous intent just get one legally Just don't tick the box which asks "Are you a terrorist"

• Agree 1

The ASIC doesn't entitle you to access airside at an airport but it gives the airport management some comfort if it gives you access. So, the 20 questions doesn't seem unreasonable to me. In fact that makes more sense than the ASIC.

Of course flying in gets you airside but it is reasonable from a risk management aspect for there to be controls in place at busy airports. However, I don't rate Mudgee as a busy airport but you still need an ASIC there.

If I recall correctly, the ASIC popped up about 9 years ago in 2005. Systems were probably rushed in and perhaps were/are far from perfect - including those at RA-Aus. If an RA-Aus member doesn't like an aspect of the process then give your local Board Rep a job. There is a list of them in the magazine with contact details. You might be doing us all a favour. I'm sure we all realise that RA-Aus doesn't get the final say on all aspects of ASIC procedures.

One thing I can assure is that nobody on this website is going to change the list of who can sign off your application through RA-Aus. Not quite "tell somebody who cares" but "tell somebody whose job it is to do something about it".

Somehow, I would have thought that getting it done for $160 through RA-Aus is to be applauded.

• Agree 1

Don

I agree with most of your comments, however.......

I have renewed my ASIC yearly through RAAus and by renewing either on or before time, I have lost about thee months of my Subscription.

I.e due in march, send in renewal in Feb and the new ASIS starts from then

Recently I got letter stating that my ASIC was being processed and keep (show) as proof of application

hopefully the security guard is a nice fellow.

Needs to be tidied up IMHO

• Caution 1