Brumby wrecked pilot OK

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all know what happens when you dip a wheel in the water on a beach after seeing the video of the Jab on the beach... Hanging from the straps upside down with waves crashing against the aircraft would be a pretty frightening experience :/

• Agree 1

I read a wave flipped the aircraftspacesailor

I read that in the article in the OP, thought Dazza must have known more than the journo when he offered his speculation, the media never get it right on aviation incidents anyway. The wave might have run out and grabbed him like the one in the recent Jab beach landing and attemped relaunch.

i wonder who did the maintenance, and what was done?

sounds like something may have been overlooked as the poor fellah didn't get very far.

Shame he couldn't make it a bit further to Evans Head

• 2 weeks later...
Guest extralite

I happened to run into Don just recently with the aircraft back in his hangar. It sounds like he did a good job of the emergency landing, the engine just quit half way through his Ballina CTAF call for reasons similar to what he took it to maintenance for, that was the story as i understood it anyway. He elected to take the slightly longer route along the coast rather than the direct because it had more landing options, including the beach. He has been flying for 40 years and this was his first "crash". From what i understand, the engine had never run that well since it left the factory. Unfortunately it was high tide so not so much beach, and after landing a wave flipped it. He was trapped and very lucky to be saved by what sounds like quite a brave passer by. He doesnt get on the net so cant tell the story in person, but had quite a story to tell..and he wasn't very happy at all and a bit of a pity he hasnt the opportunity to pass on his experience here.

ALL engines can fail. They just have to have something wrong with them. Here's a bloke who took the right decision to not fly over what he couldn't land on. Good decision. Nev

• Agree 4

Guest extralite

Yes it was a Lycoming. Don had a pretty good idea why it failed and it didn't seem to anything he could have done. I wasn't there so I only heard one side of the story and i dont know the history, but from what i understand he was already concerned about it, which is why it was on the way back from maintenance. Anyone considering a Lycoming powered Brumby it would be worth hearing his experiences. Anyway, was very lucky to walk away from it.

OK ..and the way they are installed and operated, but then they will have something wrong with them. No?? Nev

OK maybe it comes down to a play on words but an engine with nothing wrong with it can fail, quite a common one, out of fuel.

OK maybe it comes down to a play on words but an engine with nothing wrong with it can fail, quite a common one, out of fuel.

Wouldn't jump to conclusions. The Lycoming 0-233 has reportedly been experiencing some ignition issues and this may be the cause here. Good that he got it onto the beach ok, but unfortunately may have been a bit close to the water.

• Agree 1

Wouldn't jump to conclusions. The Lycoming 0-233 has reportedly been experiencing some ignition issues and this may be the cause here. Good that he got it onto the beach ok, but unfortunately may have been a bit close to the water.

I am not jumping to conclusions we were discussing if an engine has to have something wrong with it in order to fail, not necessarily this engine.

• Agree 1