Light AC down in Lawson NSW

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to have been a lot disappointment on the ground that the occupants of the cessna-type plane didn't eject. With witnesses feeding them this rot, no wonder the media regularly make a proper balls up of reporting these events.

So another Cirrus 22 saved by it's BRS - call me crazy but I would have thought a better result would be to fly a plane that doesn't have so many incidents or is it just the type of pilot, eg; maybe less confident ones, that are attracted to it's "safety" features?

Anyway, good result from a bad situation.

Hmm just a thought, if it was an engine out, I wonder what efforts the pilot made to seek a place to land or did he just immediately go for the BRS and did he attempt to find some clear area to deploy the BRS over?

• Agree 2

Yeah funny the things people say .......The pilot then deployed a parachute attached to the back of the plane before managing to land it in the yard, avoiding nearby homes and large power lines.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/plane-crash-in-the-blue-mountains-report-20140510-zr8uc.html#ixzz31I5KX1P6

I heard somewhere that the Cirrus has a BRS as standard because it doesn't meet FAR spin recovery requirements, so if it 'started a spiral' and that means a stall and spin-entry, then pulling the red handle is the only way out. So, the pilot probably did the right thing in the circumstances, having first done a rather silly thing by taking off in it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Make me wonder why he didn't just fly the plane and land ?

Expensive exercise using the Shute which too me would only use if a structure failure ?

Once the Shute deployed your going down with out control of where u land !

What happen to flying single engine aircraft with an landing area within reach ?

Just my thoughts !

Good result though no one hurt ....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

My late mother-in-law lived at Lawson, Blue Mountains, just down from Katoomba. Not many places to land there.

• Agree 1

Make me wonder why he didn't just fly the plane and land ?Expensive exercise using the Shute which too me would only use if a structure failure ?

Once the Shute deployed your going down with out control of where u land !

What happen to flying single engine aircraft with an landing area within reach ?

Just my thoughts !

Good result though no one hurt ....

The area immediately around lawson doesn't look too hospitable for a forced landing and as far as going places where you don't have a landing option where I live we are spoilt as most paddocks are suitable but not everyone has that luxury. Also as a side note if I had three pob and only marginal options maybe pulling the chute would be a safer option, how many accidents has there been that would have ended better if they had used their brs. Just my two cents worth but good to see them all survive

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

My late mother-in-law lived at Lawson, Blue Mountains, just down from Katoomba. Not many places to land there.

The area immediately around lawson doesn't look too hospitable for a forced landing and as far as going places where you don't have a landing option where I live we are spoilt as most paddocks are suitable but not everyone has that luxury. Also as a side note if I had three pob and only marginal options maybe pulling the Shute would be a safer option, how many accidents has there been that would have ended better if they had used their brs. Just my two cents worth but good to see them all survive

for me I would not fly in that type of area with any single engine , unless u can reach a landing area it no go ...

That has kept me out off trouble anyway each to there own !

• Agree 3

And I am the same Doug but that does limit things a bit and some people especially those in mountains don't always have that luxury, also when cruising at altitude we (well me anyway) can often misread a paddocks landability and the paddock that looked nice and green and smooth can turn out to be tall grass with big bumps throughout especially once we are out of our 'home' territory

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Can remember my first flying lesson 20 odd yrs ago one of the first things my instructor told me (started in choppers) "f$&k the chopper it's insured do whatever you can to make sure you walk away" bloke made his decision to pull the BRS and turned out to be the right one. 10 points to the pilot for good out come by using all available resources.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Guest ozzie

'chute. Short for Parachute. Not Shute.

Really worried about Cirrus pilots and their instructors. I don't think even one has been reported to have been successfully dead sticked after an engine failure, they seem to immediately go into spin entry.

'chute. Short for Parachute. Not Shute.Really worried about Cirrus pilots and their instructors. I don't think even one has been reported to have been successfully dead sticked after an engine failure, they seem to immediately go into spin entry.

Sorry about the spelling u got the idea anyway !:-)

• Agree 3

Bloke pulls the CHUTE and people say "Why didn't he just land it"..............

Bloke tries to land it and crashes and burns in a fire ball. People say "Why didn't he just pull the chute".........

• Agree 16
  • Caution 1

If they were fitted to Jabs then they'd be Parrotchutes.

Bloke pulls the CHUTE and people say "Why didn't he just land it"..............Bloke tries to land it and crashes and burns in a fire ball. People say "Why didn't he just pull the chute".........

most don't have the option

I was told above all else fly the aircraft !

Latest ABC report says it was in Sayers Street Lawson; a check on Google Maps shows it ended up probably about 20 metres away from some serious HT lines. There is a golf course about 200 metres from where he ended up, but longest fairway appears to be about 300 metres. Those are some really, really lucky passengers. BRS was about 99% the only chance in the circumstances, which is different from saying that perhaps the circumstances should not have arisen and he shouldn't have been above serious tiger country without enough bug-out height. Katoomba Airport is about 11k away.

... so if it 'started a spiral' and that means a stall and spin-entry, then pulling the red handle is the only way out. ...

Oscar, I don't want to be a nit picky bugga, but since when does 'if it started a spiral' that it means a stall and spin entry? Its either spinning or spiraling and if these things are notorious at not coming out of a spin, and it was in a spin, it would be spinning.I noticed another comment from someone assuming that the cirrus would enter a spin in an engine failure ... where the hell does that BS thinking come from. The BRS is on a Cirrus because of certain spin modes were unrecoverable. If it entered a spin upon the engine failure the PIC must have stalled it and why would that have happened. He possibly pulled it up to slow it up to blow the chute ... who knows. But it was a good result if there is nowhere else to go.

Did anyone notice the N rego on it. Was it an import?

• Agree 2