airbus a380 seat question

Hello gents yesterday I booked a flight on the airfrance a380-800 aircraft and I wanted a good seat to get a good view on the turbines but unfortunately all the good seats were taken. So I chose the available L25 seat by the window. Is it a good seat. I'm slightly worried that the wing may block my view I want to record a takeoff. If so should I change it

Guest Andys@coffs

This is probably the wrong place to ask such a question.....the aircraft we fly have 2 seats and the vast majority of us sit in the same one every time. View from both is pretty good but if you want to see a turbine then you'd best hope one overtakes you because you sure arent going to catch it!

Andy

I trust you won't be using an electronic device to record the take off, you wouldn't want to be responsible for causing the plane to crash.

• Haha 2

I trust you won't be using an electronic device to record the take off, you wouldn't want to be responsible for causing the plane to crash.

I worry about the mental capacity of the cabin crew sometimes. I read my Kindle when travelling, and every time the hostie comes up the aisle before takeoff, she tells me to turn it off. The first time it happened I explained that you can't actually turn a Kindle off, it only has a "sleep" switch which shows a screen saver instead of the page you're using, but in terms of electronic activity it's exactly the same.

To which she smiled and said "please shut the cover then until we're airborne." Er - like that's going to make a difference.

After that I learned my lesson, just shut it until the hostie goes past then continue reading.

Do they really think that anyone believes that anything they let you carry on board is going to interfere with the aircraft's systems?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Lol 'shooting' a takeoff puts a whole new perspective to it. (Said in jest) I think recording is ok they are mainly worried about phone/Internet connections and basically I think the only benefit to the restrictions is if they did have a catastrophic failure on takeoff you would get to see it all 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

Well I assume flight mode disables any type of connectivity that might intervene with the flight . Did I mention that the airliners provide onboard wifi for passengers. I really don't think using electronics is a big deal

• Agree 1

I always choose a seat at the back because airliners have never been known to reverse into mountains.You can also keep an eye on the turbines from there if you're so inclined ...

At the back of a f100 your head is about a foot from the turbine. Can't see much but you sure can keep an ear on the sound because you won't be getting much sleep!!004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

I always choose a seat at the back because airliners have never been known to reverse into mountains.

Obviously there's a million different ways to break an aeroplane, but also safer sitting in the back for some landing accidents. Saw a great show last year where they rigged a 727 with radio control and crashed it into the Mexican desert. First 11 rows of seats were ripped out. It was doing about 140mph and 1,500fps descent.

Decisions, decisions.

The lottery-win likelihood of surviving a prang by being far from the pointy end, or the certainty of being jammed down the back with a queue of overweight drinkers waiting to use the toilet?

There was an airliner crash in the US and one thing that stuck in my mind was at a reunion for survivors a lady said" I've never met anyone from first class" meaning she presumed they all died.

• Informative 1

Well I assume flight mode disables any type of connectivity that might intervene with the flight . Did I mention that the airliners provide onboard wifi for passengers. I really don't think using electronics is a big deal

Although we all know that electronics are highly unlikely to cause problems, it is worth noting that most airlines do require all electronic devices to be 'TURNED OFF' for TO and LDG. Once safely away from these critical phases of flight they then permit operations as long as the transmitting device is in 'FLT MODE'. The bottom line is that you will ALMOST CERTAINLY be breaking the airlines rules if you use your electronic device to record a take-off or landing. I only mention this in the interests of people being fully informed. What you choose to do with this info is up to you, but at least you will be able to make an informed decision.

• Like 2

So it's a matter of you can but may not. I think the cabin crew will be seated by the time of take off giving me the opportunity to capture it . The landing is a different story

Playing the Devils advocate here;

So, taking this thread to the duty of care argument that occurred with the RAA vs CASA duty of care with the pilot flying a VH aircraft, does everybody who reads this thread now have a duty of care to advise that one of the passengers intends to use an electronic device on a plane?

If the use of the said device causes an accident then all readers have a liability in the matter. It is our fault not Syrianboy; he was just harmlessly recording a movie!!!

Syrianboy95 have you tried a website called seat guru ? It has all types of aircraft listed the best and the not so good seats to get and they have this information from a vast array of people who have travelled and shared their experiences

• Agree 1

At the back of a f100 your head is about a foot from the turbine. Can't see much but you sure can keep an ear on the sound because you won't be getting much sleep!!004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Sat next to the Port side inlet in a DC9 out of Burbank, California to Las Vegas once. Scarely sounds from those turbines......on startup..the starter motor whine, the flame igniting then sounding like a oxy/ acet flame burning in a strong breeze, every RPM change in flight and the worst was looking out the window on a late curving left turn on to final and seeing (& feeling) we were now undershooting after just flying through a hot desert thermal with the power back near flight idle, then hearing the turbines slowly spool up to full power (Flame sounded like it was going to blow out again!) just before we reached the piano keys! Touch down was heavy then they pulled the power off again!

• 2 weeks later...