The RAA newsletter

SDQDI

In the recent 5 year survey I did, which showed up 40 Jab forced landings and 7 Rotax forced landings, these were the Rotax events.If you were CASA you'd have to say a spark plug falling out may not necessarily point to the sharpest tool in the drawer.

It's probably PL based - you can't have people doing maintenance with potential for big risk if the people doing it are not qualified, so that might be what's driving CASA.

Diligence or knowledge????

Life’s experiences and good diligence is a winner for me.

People get hung up on qualifications, what is the use of qualifications if the person is not diligent?

Regards

KP.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps I am not getting it but with a newsletter every couple of months, what is the difference between the newsletter and the mag every month. I can see the benefit if the newsletter was also once a month but mid month to the mag

This is why people should provide feedback to the newsletter and request it weekly or fortnightly.

• Like 1

qualified = trained how to tighten a spark plug, how to tighten an oil filter, how to plumb a fuel line to avoid vapour lock, how the read the manufacturer's manual to determine the correct oil, how to set a float level and at what level, not necessarily qualified as in MBA.

However, rather than people saying they don't like the idea, better to phone CASA who probably have the more grisly details.

This is why people should provide feedback to the newsletter and request it weekly or fortnightly.

I get a full bulletin daily from New York and with broadcast email or SMS there's no reason why you couldn't ask for weekly and as it happens information.

RA-Aus has been bogged down for the last 5+ years. A dictator punching through and getting stuff done might not be a bad thing. We still have a Board who can strive to make our new dictator a benevolent one. Then we would have the best form of government.The CEO does not decide policy. As his title infers he executes the Board's policy decisions. A good CEO will push a Board by coming up with improvement initiatives and then it is up to the Board to see if those initiatives will take us in the right direction. The big question is always does this proposal work positively for low regulation and low cost - and we should nowadays tack on the "S" word - Safety. Does it improve the balance of safety and freedom.

I can think of two other letters in all of this - UV. It's a question of operating as the Constitution specifies vs making up your own version, and the second layer of concern is what CASA laid down as duties in order to operate with exemptions, and I'm not talking about the yearly deed. The repercussions for the board members, and members in stepping outside the Incorporation can be very serious.

• Winner 1

RA-Aus has been bogged down for the last 5+ years.

So you and FT will start an alternative well-run organisation right?

A dictator punching through and getting stuff done might not be a bad thing.

Yet you were the one howling long and loud when Ed took action to get things done.

I suggest you really need your own rec aviation show Don. It might be good. Maybe 760kg MTOW for starters....?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Acording to the pres, someone has started a new organisation in Qld......

His latest report in the mag makes it look like he's going into full blown damage control.

To answer Ian's question about the mag vs newsletter, I tire of people writing up about up coming events/issues but by the time I read it the event has already happened. Just makes it feel like the mag in not "current".

• Agree 1

OK, let's clarify a thing or two. My post above re "benevolent dictators" was intended to be a little light hearted. However, I can see how it might not have been clear.

I'm sure that the great leader of North Korea considers himself to be a totally benevolent dictator and, in practice, even truly benevolent dictators are invariably succeeded by an idiot son.

I did qualify my comment that the Board was still there to temper any over exuberance by a "punching-through" CEO. There was I hope no suggestion that my holy grail of the Constitution would be disrespected. Surely my record of getting amendments through to tighten the Constitution and counter abuse stand for something?

Michael Linke is proud to boast of his strong commitment to good governance and of holding Boards to the same.

Yes, for years I've banged on about Turbo's two letters "UV" = ultra vires or in the vernacular, beyond the the power or in plain English unauthorised. There have been a number of instances when RA-Aus Presidents have acted ultra vires and in one way or another those actions brought them undone.

• Informative 1

Acording to the pres, someone has started a new organisation in Qld......His latest report in the mag makes it look like he's going into full blown damage control. . . .

Myles Breitkreutz is, I believe, attempting to discredit RA-Aus in the eyes of the Federal Government and CASA and form a new organisation to replace RA-Aus. He has circulated an email nominating something like EAAA Pty Ltd. But a search of the Companies register revealed no such company has been incorporated.

I guess Myles is still unhappy about the "jobs for the boys" episode not panning out how he might have liked.

Anyone know how to spell "bringing RA-Aus into disrepute"?

I'm not sure anyone could take Myles' revolution too seriously but I guess it would be as unwise to ignore it completely.

I was interested to read about the new CEO. "Often the only reason something doesn’t happen is one person in a room objects or puts a negative spin on an idea. I see my role as removing that barrier, often I just punch on through it, but either way the barrier ceases to exist and we move on" I hope that if there are concerns about the direction taken, that concerns are considered rather than just "punched through" and "cease to exist" otherwise what we have is a dictatorship. My way or the highway boys!

Well this attitude ended up in tears in his last job, resignations, stand downs and bum covering.

The Canberra Times has spoken in recent weeks to a number of staff members who have left the organisation this year, complaining of underpayment and concerns about staff welfare on the ageing Weston Creek site.

Dr Jackie Reed, a vet in the society's wildlife section for nearly 12 months until January, said staff were often left for months on end to work well above their contracted role.

The vet's comments are supported by another former staff member, who asked not to be named, who said she reluctantly resigned earlier this year after the rejection of a pay-rise claim to reflect the role she had been filling.

The ex-staffer said there were clear cultural problems at Weston Creek.

''For me to have to leave a job that I was dedicated to was very hard and upsetting.''

Speaking before Mr Linke's announcement, a current supervisor, Belinda Gibbs, said many staff lacked motivation and, while the workforce problems were not new, 2013 had been a particularly difficult year.

''It's reached this crisis point in the last six months,'' Ms Gibbs said. ''We're losing too many good staff - probably about four or five key people who the shelter really could have used - all left in 2013 or late last year.''

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/canberra-rspca-chief-executive-michael-linke-resigns-20131014-2vhy6.html#ixzz3AbouVXyS

• Like 1

Were the claims made by Mr Linke regarding the improvements at his last place of employment correct?

The RSPCA is a special case as I'm sure that it is a lot more than a job for most employees. Words like compassion and dedication seem appropriate. Industrial issues and pay claims seem more likely in workplaces where it is just a job. Nobody would like their pay claims denied.

The best practice with a newsletter is (a) only send one out when you have something to say (b) instead of titling email "January newsletter", which means nothing, to a subject reflecting the contents of the email.

The big problem with email is always, no one reads them after a while, which is caused by the other problem, the board will use it as another one way propaganda tool.

I for one am sick to death of all this bull*8it drum beating, constant flow of personnel, managers, board members etc through RAA's doors, people saying that things will now get better. Yet, still, unable to process aircraft rego in a timely fashion without having unregistered aircraft grounded for extended periods. Flying schools and private owners still having to pay hangerage, insurance etc and loss of income as a result.

As one of the primary income streams to RAA, WTF is really going on? The average person affected by all this must be dumdfounded. Then a new CEO shows up beating his own drum.

WTF........??

• Helpful 1

I must say his choice of words about punching through issues concerned me. But actions speak far louder then words, so lets give him a chance amd not jump to any conclusions...perhaps his enthusiasm and inexperience is exactly whats needed to make some changes??

I give him credit for speaking publicly, if it opens a dialogue and improves communication to members then its all good, even if he does trip on his words a little.

• Agree 2

Didn't know they were in labor, didn't even know they were pregnant.

Maybe the Board wasn't in labor (sic).

I think it may be the members that have been stuffed.

• 1 year later...

Just got the latest email with special announcement from RAA.

Just flicked through it quickly but thought I would mention here that I am happy to see that we will be able to fill our incident/accident reports just the once and have them forwarded on to the atsb which IMHO is a huge step from having to fill out paper copies for RAA and then having to fill in basically the same info for the atsb.

So what I'm saying is good work RAA, a thumbs up from me for this common sense step and I hope we see more positive steps like this:thumb up:.

These things do take time, I can remember when I had to fill out my first (and only so far) incident form Darren told me they were working on this then and that was a fair while ago. Good to see it coming to fruition.

• Agree 2

Just got the latest email with special announcement from RAA.Just flicked through it quickly but thought I would mention here that I am happy to see that we will be able to fill our incident/accident reports just the once and have them forwarded on to the atsb which IMHO is a huge step from having to fill out paper copies for RAA and then having to fill in basically the same info for the atsb.

So what I'm saying is good work RAA, a thumbs up from me for this common sense step and I hope we see more positive steps like this:thumb up:.

These things do take time, I can remember when I had to fill out my first (and only so far) incident form Darren told me they were working on this then and that was a fair while ago. Good to see it coming to fruition.

I got that email, I looked at it for about 10 seconds, then deleted it.