The RAA newsletter

SDQDI

Just got my first newsletter by email and thought I would mention it on here, seems to be a step in the right direction. If used to its full potential I think it will be a winner and I think we need to get together and give some positive feedback. I'm too tired to think of anything else just thought it was a thread that need starting:cool:

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I've just filled out the engine survey.

I would have liked an option of putting a member number or rego number in it. I've got nothing to hide and it would perhaps give more it more credibility.

As there are going to be 4 to 6 issues per year, perhaps 2 board members can add a report every issue about things happening in their location.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

I was interested to read about the new CEO. "Often the only reason something doesn’t happen is one person in a room objects or puts a negative spin on an idea. I see my role as removing that barrier, often I just punch on through it, but either way the barrier ceases to exist and we move on" I hope that if there are concerns about the direction taken, that concerns are considered rather than just "punched through" and "cease to exist" otherwise what we have is a dictatorship. My way or the highway boys!

• Agree 4

I never fill out a survey that were there is no scope to put your own comment in (assuming this survey one was the same)

I think such surveys are deriving and answer the the surveyor wants to hear (or use)

Newsletter is good thing, not sure its that groundbreaking though but its a good start

Disappointed with engine survey, didnt ask for much details on engine type, then asking about mechanical failures without describing how small or large was looking for

Some of it will be good info i guess.

• Agree 1

Newsletter is good thing, not sure its that groundbreaking though but its a good startDisappointed with engine survey, didnt ask for much details on engine type, then asking about mechanical failures without describing how small or large was looking for

Some of it will be good info i guess.

The photo was a bit of an odd one for a flying organisation, most of our planes would be upset by those four big oil filters let alone the block!

• Haha 1

Guest Maj Millard
I never fill out a survey that were there is no scope to put your own comment in (assuming this survey one was the same)I think such surveys are deriving and answer the the surveyor wants to hear (or use)

There is a additional comments box at the end of the survey Johnm...............Maj......

I filled out the questionaire, the newsletter could be great or an effort to pretend to communicate we'll see. I don't want to know the name of the new president's dog just the business of raa in detail will do me fine thanks, the direction the board plan on taking us before we start the engine and a long term plan of low cost minimum regulation oversight of our recreational sport.

• Agree 1

I like the concept and the content of the newsletter. I amazes me that this is the first one but it is better to be a late starter then a non starter I guess.

If I was interviewing someone to be my new boss, then I am not sure that the comments from the new CEO would get him the job. Having said that in some cases the adversarial approach can be the best way to get things that have stagnated moving. It wouldn't hurt for the newer board members to keep a close eye on the managerial side of things for a while though. As for the engine survey, I don't have one yet so I didn't even look at the survey.

Cheers Geoff13

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I think it's a great first step, although not sure 4-6 weeks is a good time for a newsletter, since we have that covered in the mag already. I would like to see it weekly or at least fortnightly and have more substance on the issues currently being handled and plans/directions being worked on (and actually ask for members feedback or input on some of this directions). It would be nice to know what's being considered 'right now' so we can email our reps and let them know exactly what we think on any particular issue (i.e. CTA endorsement, Ops Manual, Board numbers etc).

• Agree 1

I think it's a great first step, although not sure 4-6 weeks is a good time for a newsletter, since we have that covered in the mag already. I would like to see it weekly or at least fortnightly and have more substance on the issues currently being handled and plans/directions being worked on (and actually ask for members feedback or input on some of this directions). It would be nice to know what's being considered 'right now' so we can email our reps and let them know exactly what we think on any particular issue (i.e. CTA endorsement, Ops Manual, Board numbers etc).

Maybe a small survey every issue and feedback/results from the previous.

Multiple choice surveys may not have everyones answer but they would be easier to colate the results.

eg. What do you think of XXXX. Answer A, B or C.

• Agree 1

I think it is a great first step maybe the content of the first one needs work but you have to start somewhere, I also think that a little survey each issue would be a great way to quickly get ideas as to what the membership thinks, (as said it would have to be multiple choice) but all that aside it's a great start and I think they need commending for getting it started.012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The newsletter is a good idea, even if it only tells us that someone, somewhere has woken up to the fact that there has been a lack of communication.

As for the new CEO, I hope he works out OK, but from his own write up he looks to me to be a bully boy, who is also into building a bigger empire. I hope my assesment of his write up is incorrect.

Rather than see RAAUs becoming twice as big financially and having many more staff, I would like to see RAAus become an efficient administrator of sport flying. Doig the job correctly and efficiently, which would keep CASA off our backs and then looking at the trimmings, such as getting rid of ASICs and reducing the accident rate. But then again the accident rate is not a trimming, but an essential.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

In the recent 5 year survey I did, which showed up 40 Jab forced landings and 7 Rotax forced landings, these were the Rotax events.

If you were CASA you'd have to say a spark plug falling out may not necessarily point to the sharpest tool in the drawer.

It's probably PL based - you can't have people doing maintenance with potential for big risk if the people doing it are not qualified, so that might be what's driving CASA.

EXX22B.pdf

EXX22B.pdf

EXX22B.pdf

In the recent 5 year survey I did, which showed up 40 Jab forced landings and 7 Rotax forced landings, these were the Rotax events.If you were CASA you'd have to say a spark plug falling out may not necessarily point to the sharpest tool in the drawer.

It's probably PL based - you can't have people doing maintenance with potential for big risk if the people doing it are not qualified, so that might be what's driving CASA.

I owned a GA plane for 9 years, after every annual I found faults due to LAME negligence, some serious some not but always something and once it was absolutely dangerous. CASA only interested when you crash. The most attractive part of RAA is being in control of maintenance.

• Agree 4

RA-Aus has been bogged down for the last 5+ years. A dictator punching through and getting stuff done might not be a bad thing. We still have a Board who can strive to make our new dictator a benevolent one. Then we would have the best form of government.

The CEO does not decide policy. As his title infers he executes the Board's policy decisions. A good CEO will push a Board by coming up with improvement initiatives and then it is up to the Board to see if those initiatives will take us in the right direction. The big question is always does this proposal work positively for low regulation and low cost - and we should nowadays tack on the "S" word - Safety. Does it improve the balance of safety and freedom.

Perhaps I am not getting it but with a newsletter every couple of months, what is the difference between the newsletter and the mag every month. I can see the benefit if the newsletter was also once a month but mid month to the mag

• Like 1