Jeremy Clarkson suspended from the BBC. . . .

Phil Perry

Humm. An Australian fellow asking for the meaning of a word used by someone from Great Britain. Marty_d, you are experiencing only a little of what I have been tripping over - words. Eg., I was wondering what you meant by the acronym "LNP." It seems that I am reading a thread in which someone from Merry Ole is being queried about words by someone from the Great Downunder (using both names most respectfully), and I am wondering what lots of words mean.fly_tornado's UKIP

red750's ALPBC

DGL Fox's pommie

pmccrthy's goolies (although I have this sneaky suspicion about that one - or two)

091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif

And how does someone in the PRC (bexrbetter) know so much about Howard Stern? Has the PRC dropped the curtains and let Stern in?

I'm still doing the math. Now it's three nations separated by a common language. Well, somebody shout me a beer (or "a pint" or a cerveza - a Dos Equis will do). 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

And NZ makes 4 nations?

Sorry but I speak Southern American English so I am a mite challenged when people remain too close to the mother tongue, perhaps the lingua of the world.

Hi SrPilot,

Don't worry, I think we all trip over expressions from other English speaking countries. Not to mention accents. If a Kiwi asks you where the "litter box" is, he doesn't mean a toilet for his cat.

I believe Bex might actually be an Aussie ex-pat. Not sure if he's gone to China for good, but we can probably get our numb-nuts Attorney General to pull his Australian citizenship so he can't come back... 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

• Haha 3

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to be descended from a convict ( the Poms call them felons) to rate here.

Speak for yourselves Crims, my lot landed about 1840'ish in Adelaide and settled in Adelaide Valley (Tununda) and started making wines.

I believe Bex might actually be an Aussie ex-pat. Not sure if he's gone to China for good, but we can probably get our numb-nuts Attorney General to pull his Australian citizenship so he can't come back...

Me are Bex vely happy. Me lite this with conviction for comrade to cee China best, come please visit, you not solly you come.

And how does someone in the PRC (bexrbetter) know so much about Howard Stern? Has the PRC dropped the curtains and let Stern in?

I sneak over the Border daily to report out, at the risk of being shot of and only when I'm working on the surface of the coal mine. Can't wait till next year when I get a day off for my 14th birthday. Been a good year so far, only been shot 2 times while being detained. Got to go, need food, only eaten a bowl of rat poo laden rice so far this month, oh the humanity.

• Haha 1

Guest SrPilot
Speak for yourselves Crims, . . . oh the humanity.

May I presume that "crims" is a reference to the early arrivals in Australia, compliments of the British government, and "oh the humanity" is quoting Herb Morrison, the radio reporter who was reporting the arrival of the Hindenburg at Lakehurst in May 1937? If so, are you into arrivals for any particular reason?

097_peep_wall.gif.dcfd1acb5887de1394272f1b8f0811df.gif Looking into the PRC early in the morning.

A bit pointless with out Richard and James, the show will never be the same.

Don't worry Daz. . . . All three are already in negotiations with "other channels" to produce a show in a similar vein, hats off to Richard Hammond and James May though,. . .I don't have many friends who would turn down half a million Quid a year each ( over double what the BBC were paying before ) to stay with the British Propaganda Arm of the left wing Luvvies society. . . . . I like Chris Evans, he is a true motorsport enthusiast,. . .but "Top Gear" ? ? ? forget it. . .they won't get the humungous ratings and they bloody well KNOW it. . . . . . Top Gear was the biggest thing they have ever, ever had, by an extremely long piece of chalk. . .. . . . . accurate BBC management footshooting comes to mind. . . .

• Like 2

If so, are you into arrivals for any particular reason?Yes SR,. . . . .Bex is into arrivals in a big way,. . ., as apparently. . . he hasn't yet mastered the art of re-interfacing with terra firma comfortably, following any gravitational opposition in a heavier than air flying appliance. . . .. . . . . . You are a V E R Y good and perceptive psychologist,. . . . .I can see that we shall all have to choose our words with some prudence whilst engaging in future conversations with you Sir ! ! ! ! ( No disrespect intended. . .) 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Guest SrPilot
(No disrespect intended. . .)

And none perceived, Phil, but I have to admit that disrespect is the only kind of respect I get from most of my closest friends. They are all quite tough on other aviators. What to me is a spot-on landing rates not-so-much with them. 103_score_001.gif.0354254b719c2e1032fedf21c3779e8a.gif

Turn about, though, is fair play. They understand that if you're going to play hard ball, it is best to bring a glove. 059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif

And none perceived, Phil, but I have to admit that disrespect is the only kind of respect I get from most of my closest friends. They are all quite tough on other aviators. What to me is a spot-on landing rates not-so-much with them. 103_score_001.gif.0354254b719c2e1032fedf21c3779e8a.gifTurn about, though, is fair play. They understand that if you're going to play hard ball, it is best to bring a glove. 059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif

Er,. . . . . sorry to seem dim,. . .have not been to the "States" for a long time, is this a reference to baseball,. . .is the ball a real nasty hard thing, a bit like our famous KRIKKET ball I wonder,. . .although the "Hardball" word I am familiar with thru countless U.S. movie scripts of course. . . . A Cricket ball is quite small . . .about 3 and a quarter inches in diameter, with a polished leather exterior,. . . and a depleted uranium core. . .if you are not already familiar with the beast that is. . . . ( Purists will now tell me that the size I estimated from my schooldays as a fast bowler is wrong. . . didn't own a tape measure back then. . . and the Aussies have some, although limited and basic I know,. . .experience in the application of this ball. . .)

Having experienced a "Cricket ballstrike" on the rear of my skull as a youngster,. . .I DO know how hardball they are. . . . . ( And I wasn't even playing that day. . . )

Oh, and I almost forgot to comment on the "Landing" thing,. . .well,. . .some years back I suffered one of the few engine failures I have ever had in a light aircraft ( PA28 Cherokee 140 ) but since this happened at 3,000 feet only 4 miles from an airfield, to which I was able to glide with no problems at all,. . .makeing a textbook landing, and even rolling off the active to prevent any obstruction to other users, . . . .all I got later was abuse from my flying "Friends". .

Won't go into it deeply, but the usual stuff applied,. . .ie,. . .you cut that base turn a bit tight didncha ? . . .were you panicking by then ?. . . . your circuit was crap. . . . and if you'd had some sense, you'd have turned off at the middle intersection and then you could have rolled straight into the parking area. . . . .

Yeah yeah yeah. . . . . no compliments on a job well done, NAW,. . .nothing like that. . . .and a barely concealed admonishment from the FBO wondering why I'd had to crash fifty miles away from base. . . . inconvenient. . .etc. . .etc. . . .

I think it's a Psych thing to stop you from bragging about it in the club bar. . . . . .!

I believe baseball is descended from cricket. Which is probably a good thing, all the other ex-colonies seem to beat poor old mother England at their own game, having the US do it too would probably be the straw which broke the camel's back... 075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif

Guest SrPilot
Er,. . . is this a reference to baseball,. . .is the ball a real nasty hard thing,

Yes. Baseball is sometimes called "hard ball" because the balls are very hard and small and move fast.They hurt you when you're hit by them. So you field balls with a glove lest you break bones in your hands. It's also called hard ball to distinguish it from softball, a very similar game more frequently played by women. The softball is quite hard, much larger, moves a mite slower, and . . . . they hurt you when you're hit by them. So you field softballs with gloves too.

It's not unusual for a pitcher to get hit the mid 90mph range, and balls hit by the batter may go over 100mph. Ergo, you can get hurt whether playing offense or defense. Here's a 3-minute video of a professional (MLB) baseball game in which the pitcher is hit in the head by a ball as it comes off the bat. You will note that at the 1-minute point, as they show the batter squatting on first base, he is wearing a helmet. Thus, injuries to batters' heads usually occur when the ball hits them below the helmet, such as the cheeks, nose or jaw. Pitchers just try to duck. This one was a mite slow and the ball wasn't.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v35169321/miapit-jennings-exits-game-after-liner-to-the-head/?c_id=mlb&tcid=tw_video_35169321

Aviation content - don't fly low over a baseball game. Fly balls could bring down a low-flying airplane. So can bullets from upset baseball fans.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRi6Yoz2dJOGkvEAOsvfSqvxIQTQqX5OlHDOR_cMCpc71kdkLhE

upload_2015-6-17_18-44-49.jpeg.4237fe129de1f1d3d169ecd2a7056515.jpeg

Guest SrPilot
I can't believe Darren38 would rather look at Jeremy than Jodie, that RAAF must have messed him up!v312363_rc093_crop1.jpg

Which one is which? 075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif

Guest SrPilot
I believe baseball is descended from cricket.

Nope. In the states, a cricket is a small bug used to catch fish.

upload_2015-6-17_18-51-31.jpeg.11782393eec19cb2fff2ce8ba9ce0f70.jpeg 075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif

Nope. In the states, a cricket is a small bug used to catch fish.

He'd need a pretty small fishing pole wouldn' t he? 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

• Haha 1

I can't believe Darren38 would rather look at Jeremy than Jodie, that RAAF must have messed him up!v312363_rc093_crop1.jpg

I have told you before, my name isn't Darren. Which part of my name isn't Darren don't you understand ?

• Informative 1

May I presume that "crims" is a reference to the early arrivals in Australia,

Yes, the bloodline has lasted well, now refered to as "Bogan" or "Politician" ..

Pommies = "Pomegranate", a common 1800's street slang version for Immigrant.

It is not "Prisoners of her Majesty" or "Prisoners of Millbank" (a holding centre for criminals going to Australia) as commonly touted.

Looking into the PRC early in the morning.

As with your knowledge of the PRC, I am well aware that the US only has riots daily, bombings, Huggy Bear on every street corner, car chases and shootouts.

Of course when I get to Oshkosh in July, hopefully, and you buy me a beer, I might find things a little different as you will when you come here one day and I buy you a beer.

I have told you before, my name isn't Darren. Which part of my name isn't Darren don't you understand ?

It's on the Internet so your name is Darren Darren.

I don't mean Darren Darren, just Darren Darren.

Well that's on the internet now so I guess it must be Darren Darren Darren ... errr wait a moment ....

• Haha 1

It's on the Internet so your name is Darren Darren.

I don't mean Darren Darren, just Darren Darren.

Well that's on the internet now so I guess it must be Darren Darren Darren ... errr wait a moment ....

Darren³

• Haha 1