Jeremy Clarkson suspended from the BBC. . . .

Phil Perry

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a sexist pig and I couldn't handle a girl fronting a motoring show, I can't stand Vicky whatever her name is on 5th gear and if I hear her squeal once more in my lifetime ...Top Gear is a bloke's show, period (spits on ground).

Oh and Clarkson wasn't "Sacked" as they all keep reporting, his contract is up in 2 months and BBC won't be renewing it. He is still under contract with the BBC until that date.

In that Brisbane Times article red750 URL'd, they mentioned Philip Glenister as a possible. He'd be good, did a good job on some other motoring show I saw an episode of - can't remember what it was but remember him scaring the absolute sh*t out of a classic car owner - think it was a Mini Cooper S - by driving it like a rally car in wet conditions.

Haven't seen that Jodie Kidd on anything but let's face it, she's a lot easier on the eyes than the old Top Gear crew!

• 1 month later...
Guest SrPilot
There must be a language mismatch between English English and Australian English... what's "luvvvie" mean??

Humm. An Australian fellow asking for the meaning of a word used by someone from Great Britain. Marty_d, you are experiencing only a little of what I have been tripping over - words. Eg., I was wondering what you meant by the acronym "LNP." It seems that I am reading a thread in which someone from Merry Ole is being queried about words by someone from the Great Downunder (using both names most respectfully), and I am wondering what lots of words mean.

fly_tornado's UKIP

red750's ALPBC

DGL Fox's pommie

pmccrthy's goolies (although I have this sneaky suspicion about that one - or two)

091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif

And how does someone in the PRC (bexrbetter) know so much about Howard Stern? Has the PRC dropped the curtains and let Stern in?

I'm still doing the math. Now it's three nations separated by a common language. Well, somebody shout me a beer (or "a pint" or a cerveza - a Dos Equis will do). 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

And NZ makes 4 nations?

Sorry but I speak Southern American English so I am a mite challenged when people remain too close to the mother tongue, perhaps the lingua of the world.

Guest SrPilot
UKIP is a new UK political party that was expected to do well at th last election but went no where

Ah ha! See, I learn something almost every moment. Thanks. Sorta like the goolies? (Note to the Admin - I do not know what "goolies" means so don't sanction me for using a word I saw in this thread please).

Tom was kicked in the goolies during a game of football. Means the same as Tom was kicked in the aggots during a game of football. Also Tom was kicked in the Niagaras during a game of football. Except we would say Tom was booted in the goolies during a footy game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest SrPilot
Tom was kicked in the goolies during a game of football. Means the same as Tom was kicked in the aggots during a game of football. Also Tom was kicked in the Niagaras during a game of football. Except we would say Tom was booted in the goolies during a footy game.

And I am supposed to know what ANY of that means? In the U.S., in football, we kick the balls - not goolies, aggots, Niagaras or whatever you're talking about. English, my man, please. Oh never mind. I'll figure it our for myself. 074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif

I know about Howard Stern through the movie, Bex hasn't always been in China so I don't know about where he picked it up. A pommie is an Englishman, so called because the French said they had apple-red cheeks. Don't believe other explanations for the term. We usually use the long form Pommie Bas#ard, probably from the days when they were the jailers and our great-grandfathers were dragging a ball and chain. Australia was first settled as a penal colony.

My mob left the Scottish border area in 1864 (ota) and have been out of the local politics pretty much. They are the most surveilled people in the world, back there. The beer is warm and the nights cold. Dunno why they stay there. Must be the pensions or the museums. A big mystery.

You have to be descended from a convict ( the Poms call them felons) to rate here. It's a sort of inverted snobbery. Missed out again. Bugger. Nev

Guest SrPilot
I know about Howard Stern through the movie, Bex hasn't always been in China so I don't know about where he picked it up. A pommie is an Englishman, so called because the French said they had apple-red cheeks. Don't believe other explanations for the term. We usually use the long form Pommie Bas#ard, probably from the days when they were the jailers and our great-grandfathers were dragging a ball and chain. Australia was first settled as a penal colony.

Thanks for the explanation of the term. I know the basic history of Australia. Had to study it a mite long, long ago and have made 3 somewhat extended trips through your country (#1. About 10 days. #2, #3, six weeks each). I also read some of your books and see your movies. I saw an interesting one about some police officers during one visit, and I guess Mad Max was an Australian movie, but I do not know if Beyond Thunder Dome was also one of yours. One book I found extremely interesting was The Accidental Guerrilla written by one of your country's military officers. Excellent reading, that one. I refer to it in arguments all the time. Even if I'm quoting it incorrectly, no one else up this way has read it so I cannot be corrected. It's on my book shelf by my desk in case I need material. 059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif

Hi SrPilot,

Explaining ALPBC. In Australia, the ABC is the national broadcaster, Australian Broadcasting Commission. The ALP is the Australian Labor Party, currently the opposition in Federal Parliament, with the Liberal/National Party coalition in power. Depending which side of the fence you are on, it is perceived the the ABC is so biased toward the ALP that they are referred to as the ALPBC (Australian Labor Party Broadcasting Commission).

And 'pommie' is Australian slang for an Englishman, supposedly because when Australia was an English penal colony, the convicts wore a sign on their clothing P.O.M.E (prisoner of mother England).

Guest SrPilot
My mob left the Scottish border area in 1864 (ota) and have been out of the local politics pretty much. They are the most surveilled people in the world, back there. The beer is warm and the nights cold. Dunno why they stay there. Must be the pensions or the museums. A big mystery.You have to be descended from a convict ( the Poms call them felons) to rate here. It's a sort of inverted snobbery. Missed out again. Bugger. Nev

My folks went into the Merry Ole in 1066. Some of them came to the Colonies in the 1600s. I sometimes hear from others with the same name from all over including England, the English Channel Islands, and Australia, so not everyone came this way.

Sr, You old barsted is a term of endearment, so If David Isaacs calls you that, feel flattered. There is a new Mad Max out now. One of my kids says it's great. (He's grown up.) Nev

Guest SrPilot
Hi SrPilot, Explaining ALPBC. In Australia, the ABC is the national broadcaster, Australian Broadcasting Commission. The ALP is the Australian Labor Party, currently the opposition in Federal Parliament, with the Liberal/National Party coalition in power. Depending which side of the fence you are on, it is perceived the the ABC is so biased toward the ALP that they are referred to as the ALPBC (Australian Labor Party Broadcasting Commission). And 'pommie' is Australian slang for an Englishman, supposedly because when Australia was an English penal colony, the convicts wore a sign on their clothing P.O.M.E (prisoner of mother England).

Thanks. Most interesting. When you guys come to the U.S. for OSH or Sun 'n Fun let me know. I'll shout some beers and tell you about MSM (main stream media - MSNBC, ABC, CNN, CBS, NYT, WaPo, NPR, etc) and the Dems, etc. Lots of opinions over here about bias. Drives one to aviation.

Guest SrPilot
Sr, You old barsted is a term of endearment, so If David Isaacs calls you that, feel flattered. There is a new Mad Max out now. One of my kids says it's great. (He's grown up.) Nev

Well, I do not know David Isaacs so I doubt that he'll waste his time calling me anything, but it is good to know that its a "term of endearment." In these parts, it sounds more like fighting words. We've fought wars over less, I think.

I have seen Mad Max - Fury Road. I liked the original Mad Max better. The new one is way too CGI for me and the script did not work for me either. Two of us walked out after viewing the movie thinking that it must have been for the 3-D IMAX crowd.

Wait! We're in the Aviation Humor forum. 087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif

A young lady walked into the hangar . . . .

Oh. Uh huh. Goolies. Nothing like the UKIP then.

No no ... UKIP are full of Nuts not Balls ... though there is a rather big Dick in charge as well ...

Hi SrPilot,Explaining ALPBC. In Australia, the ABC is the national broadcaster, Australian Broadcasting Commission. The ALP is the Australian Labor Party, currently the opposition in Federal Parliament, with the Liberal/National Party coalition in power. Depending which side of the fence you are on, it is perceived the the ABC is so biased toward the ALP that they are referred to as the ALPBC (Australian Labor Party Broadcasting Commission).

And 'pommie' is Australian slang for an Englishman, supposedly because when Australia was an English penal colony, the convicts wore a sign on their clothing P.O.M.E (prisoner of mother England).

The ABC Q and A show during the week was a classic example of the ABC being bias towards Labor's policies.

SP.

The two major parties in the US being Democrats and Republicans, it's difficult for outsiders to understand the constant references to GOP. From what I heard recently, it stands for Grand Old Party, and refers to the Republican Party (Correct me if I'm wrong.) And the symbols (Elephant and Donkey (Mule?)) make little sense to us. In Australia, a 'donkey vote' is marking your ballot paper 1,2,3... top to bottom. We use a preferential system where you vote for all candidates in your order of preference.