I just bought a Jeep!

Pindan

Actually its a 2007 Jabiru 230C with hydralic lifter engine with 137 hrs on it, but some people on here probably think a Jeep flies better....hehe, but if people from work wonder why i am never here anymore its the same result.

I am Paul from north of WA, I did my TIF in November 2010 and finally got my Pilot certificate late last year.

I live on a remote station so the only option was to sell some sheep and buy my own aircraft. I know there are mixed feelings about the Jab's but from a non pilots perspective the 230 has to be the best value for money and most useful aircraft available. My main purpose is to escape work and fly to Perth about 550nm. From reading this forum and plenty of others for the last couple of years i made a concous decision that what ever 230 i bought i would immediately take it to a L2 in WA and have the engine rebuilt with a few mods to make it more reliable such as wide ring grove pistons lightened push rods and what ever else he suggests.

Then fit 6 CHT's and EGT's so i can effectively monitor engine temps from the day it was made new again.

If any 230 owners or L2's out there can recommend other upgrades i will take them on board, such as changing the nose wheel bush to the red one. A vital one considering i will be flying out of a dirt strip i just made and i am as experienced a grader driver as i am a pilot.

Thanks to all of you that contribute to these forums it is a wealth of knowledge. Unfortunately every time i read a new thread i realise how much i don't know. Looking forward to learning though.

And if anyone is ever up near Carnarvon feel free to drop in.

Cheers Paul

• Like 13

Welcome Paul.

Good grader drivers are like good pilots, they have years of experience. I have similar experience as you do in both pursuits, but we must have a go! The strip will settle down, and the hours will build. Good luck with it.

my jeep has 275000 break downfree km if ya jab dose that well you be happy!

And welcome a new world of fun & new found freedom almost as good as a Jeep

He He

10393756_889640357760205_6919393800828264856_n.jpg.ec8129b0d57a1f8ed8dbf7a85eb38840.jpg

Good first post Paul. Pull your engine through before each flight and get to know what normal compression feels like. plenty of 230's do long trips. Don't have your engine idling too fast on short strips and keep the weight off the nosewheel. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I really like the J230 and can't think of a more suitable aircraft for your application. The engine is fixable with the right engineering but, there are as many old wives tales about Jab engines as there are Jab engines so don't rely on one source for jab engine advice and scrutinise it all with deep thought.

I'm not an engineer (those that know me stop laughing!) but there are some people who have done great work with Jab engines. Sadly, it seems to me, Jabiru are the only ones who don't seem to want to really take advice and fix the issues. Obviously, CAMit have done a fair bit of research and development with their aero engine and has been supported by some very capable people.

Good luck with the Jab and just make sure you do all the smart things like fuel management, PLB/EPIRB, engine instrument monitoring pre take-off and in-flight and letting people know when you should be at your destination and then ringing them to let them know you have arrived (flight plan/SARTIME). 550 NM is a long way even in a J230 at 120kts good if you can take a rest stop along the way.

The 230 has plenty of power. IF it gets hot on climb you can increase the climb speed a fair bit and still have a good rate of climb. Nev

After obstacle clearance climb at 100kts and full power and it doesn't get hot.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2

Actually its a 2007 Jabiru 230C with hydralic lifter engine with 137 hrs on it, but some people on here probably think a Jeep flies better....hehe, but if people from work wonder why i am never here anymore its the same result.I am Paul from north of WA, I did my TIF in November 2010 and finally got my Pilot certificate late last year.

I live on a remote station so the only option was to sell some sheep and buy my own aircraft. I know there are mixed feelings about the Jab's but from a non pilots perspective the 230 has to be the best value for money and most useful aircraft available. My main purpose is to escape work and fly to Perth about 550nm. From reading this forum and plenty of others for the last couple of years i made a concous decision that what ever 230 i bought i would immediately take it to a L2 in WA and have the engine rebuilt with a few mods to make it more reliable such as wide ring grove pistons lightened push rods and what ever else he suggests.

Then fit 6 CHT's and EGT's so i can effectively monitor engine temps from the day it was made new again.

If any 230 owners or L2's out there can recommend other upgrades i will take them on board, such as changing the nose wheel bush to the red one. A vital one considering i will be flying out of a dirt strip i just made and i am as experienced a grader driver as i am a pilot.

Thanks to all of you that contribute to these forums it is a wealth of knowledge. Unfortunately every time i read a new thread i realise how much i don't know. Looking forward to learning though.

And if anyone is ever up near Carnarvon feel free to drop in.

Cheers Paul

Great work! The J230 is one awesome aircraft!

• Haha 1

you've bought a jeep......yea Ok, now you've gota get a bigger boat.............( i think the ad was saying that ??? )

BTW...............go the maroons:oh yeah:004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif004_oh_yeah.gif.9e5fda4460dcecb69107978dfbca9899.gif

There's only one Jeep.[ATTACH=full]35923[/ATTACH]

(Not mine by the way.)

But seriously - welcome Paul!

My mate Graham had a jeep that ended up a sky jeep. . .he was somewhere near the place they filmed ZULU in Kwazulu natal, when his handbrake failed, and the jeep rolled off the road and over a cliff. . . . . he said it was quite sad seeing it flying down into a ravine at 32ft/sec squared. . . . . .

• Haha 1