NAIPS interpretation ???

Russ

would someone mind breaking down for this ol coot, what each line is telling me.

R

COOKTOWN (YCKN)

TAF AMD YCKN 132044Z 1320/1408

12012KT 9999 SHOWERS OF LIGHT RAIN SCT020 BKN035

INTER 1320/1408 3000 SHOWERS OF MODERATE RAIN BKN018

RMK

T 23 25 25 26 Q 1013 1015 1014 1012

SPECI YCKN 140000Z AUTO 13011KT 9999 // SCT014 BKN021 OVC037 24/22

Q1015

RMK RF00.0/000.2

• Like 1

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok......followed the "resources" option, onto naips,got area briefing............then it stalled, proceeding wasn't happing..???

COOKTOWN (YCKN)

TAF AMD YCKN 132044Z 1320/1408

12012KT 9999 SHOWERS OF LIGHT RAIN SCT020 BKN035

INTER 1320/1408 3000 SHOWERS OF MODERATE RAIN BKN018

RMK

T 23 25 25 26 Q 1013 1015 1014 1012

SPECI YCKN 140000Z AUTO 13011KT 9999 // SCT014 BKN021 OVC037 24/22

Q1015

RMK RF00.0/000.2

Ill have a crack

Valid 13/06 UTC from 2000-0800hrs

Winds 120 true at 12 knots- Visibility greater then 10km SHOWERS OF LIGHT RAIN

Cloud Scattered 2000'AGL Broken 3500' agl

Periods of deteriorating weather not more then 30 minutes (holding fuel required) valid whilst TAF is valid, of

Showers of moderate rain broken 1800'agl visability 3000m (below VFR)

Special weather (Below set minimums for that aerodrome and replaces the METAR and isn't a forecast but current conditions)

Issued 14th UTC Zero hundred hours AUTO weather station

Winds 130 true 11 knots- Visibility greater than 10km- cloud scattered 1400' agl- broken 2100'agl overcast 3700' agl

Temperature 24c dew point 22c QNH 1015

Remarks

No rainfall last 10 min- 0.2mm since last 9am

Did I miss anything?

• Helpful 3
  • Informative 1

Russ: I would suggest you learn to read the encoded ones. It's not that hard. Go to AIP if you can find one Gen 3.5 or if not go to the BOM website for aviation.

Go Here: http://www.bom.gov.au/aviation/knowledge-centre/

Select the product you are reading and it give you the info you need to decode it.

Every morning until you can read these without referring to the sheet lookup particular met products for an aerodrome (say Cooktown) and decode it using these sheets (don't cheat and use the website listed above) and you will find in a matter of a few days you will have these down pat.

They really aren't hard and I recommend everyone know how to read them cause that is exactly how ATC will give it to you if you request it (somewhat)

• Agree 3

Ben I noticed with the cloud you listed that as AGL, is that how it is meant to be interpreted for a taf? I know in the arfor that cloud base is always amsl but I wasn't sure about the taf.

Ps let me also squeeze in here the fact that I can't see any reasonable reason that forecasts can't be delivered in plain English. (Shags when listening to a forecast from you atc fellas it is closer to the interpreted version and a lot easier to understand than the written abrrieviated version)

Big woopy doo if it is easy to learn, so is morse code but besides the odd (not the offensive odd just the rare odd) person with an interest in it the rest of us don't need to know it and can fly and communicate quite easily without it. IMHO the less things we have to 'interpret' the safer we will be. It would reduce the workload of the average rec pilot and maybe we would see a lot more using the proper resources and not using inferior but easier to read sources. End of rant

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Yep, that's correct, AGL for TAF's and AMSL for ARFOR's. Make it easier for alternate requirements/ VMC minima etc.

As for the presentation, the shorthand is much easier to read in flight when your under the pump, only after you have a good understanding of it tho. You can look for certain info quickly without having to read or interpret any of it. I do admit that if you aren't reading it everyday I can be confusing tho.

• Like 1

I thought on TAFs, isn't the wind direction in magnetic?

Na it's true north. I don't use AIP so I can't give you a reference unless you have jepps?

Written is degrees true and herd is degrees magnetic. There was one exception to this and I can't remember exactly what it was but I assume it's when you copy a TAF off centre obviously it's still true

• Informative 1
  • Caution 1

Yes you are correct. The wind direction in a TAF is magnetic.

Are you sure? How about a reference? On the BOM website it says about a TAF:

Wind

The wind direction is given in degrees True, rounded to the nearest 10 degrees. A

variable wind direction is given as VRB (used when the forecasting of a mean wind

direction is not possible).

The wind speed is given in knots (KT).

The maximum wind gust is included, after the letter G, if it is expected to exceed the

mean by 10 knots or more, e.g. 28020G30KT gives a wind direction of 280° True, with

a mean speed of 20 knots, and a maximum gust of 30 knots.

http://www.bom.gov.au/aviation/data/education/taf.pdf

• Winner 1

Ps let me also squeeze in here the fact that I can't see any reasonable reason that forecasts can't be delivered in plain English. (Shags when listening to a forecast from you atc fellas it is closer to the interpreted version and a lot easier to understand than the written abrrieviated version)Big woopy doo if it is easy to learn, so is morse code but besides the odd (not the offensive odd just the rare odd) person with an interest in it the rest of us don't need to know it and can fly and communicate quite easily without it. IMHO the less things we have to 'interpret' the safer we will be. It would reduce the workload of the average rec pilot and maybe we would see a lot more using the proper resources and not using inferior but easier to read sources. End of rant

Thats because when we read it out to you we are just decoding it as we read it, because its quicker and more useful to everyone than reading out the phonetics exactly as they are coded in the Taf.

Having a standard format allows it to be the same every time and therefore everyone has an expectation of how its going to come out. If it wasn't coded in a certain way, the Met guy could write whatever the hell he wanted in whatever order he wanted, and I guarentee you that would end up more confusing especially if you were trying to compare two TAF's side by side to see the changes (just as an example.)

As for "IMHO the less things we have to 'interpret' the safer we will be", I actually completely disagree. As shags said it will take a person a couple of days to start getting stuff down pat (for the common stuff at least. Hell sometimes even I have to look up certain decodes before I give them to a pilot just because its not common), but once you know how to read/interpret them you are going to have a far greater understanding, and appreciation of what its trying to tell you and I actually believe the more knowledge you are armed with, the safer overall you will actually be as a pilot, not the inverse as you are suggesting.

My 2c anyway, cheers.

• Like 3

No worries mate. It's always a bit frustrating when someone contradicts something without a reference.

Thanks HF you have put me on the right track . I was mixing up TAF's with ATIS.

Just having a look at AIP GEN 3.5

4.4.1 - refers to ATIS, and wind is in degrees magnetic

7.4.3 - refers to AWAIS, wind in degrees magnetic

which are what you "hear" as Ben87r pointed out, above. Then of course as happyflyer pointed out the others being in "True". I think i probably added 2+2 and got 5, thinking that the ATIS would be the same as someone just reading off the TAF.

Great thread!

thinking that the ATIS would be the same as someone just reading off the TAF.

There can be further information not listed in a TAF, few examples Xwind Dwind for the duty runway, instrument or visual approach expectations, turbulence on final and a heap of others like works in progress, so an ATIS is different to a TAF. An ATIS isn't just "weather" but like the name says terminal information

• Agree 1

I was taught: "If it's written down it's true!"

That is an awesome way to remember it Powerin, although highly ironic when talking about forecasts:wink:

• Agree 2