NAIPS interpretation ???

Russ

geeez you know it's not always a bad thing to have to learn something new. it's not like any of this stuff is rocket surgery. there are many things you can do to make the UTC thing easier, even here in the halfa state!

1) Buy a cheap watch that you use for flying that's set to UTC

2) Buy a more expensive watch with 2 time zones

3) Install a clock with UTC in your panel

4) Use OzRunways to submit flight plans. When you file a flight plan, you can click 'now' which changes it to current UTC and then set the time based on that. So if you're filing an hour before departure, set the time as now, change the hour forward one and submit. Simple.

5) Use ozrunways for your weather briefing. The TAFG feature shows the conditions in a graphical way with both local and zulu time on the bottom axis. After you look at that for your departure and arrival airport, you should know the zulu start and end time of your flight without having to do any conversions which will help when looking at the area forecast...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rocket surgery? Do you mean brain science? I'm trying to be humorous. not nick, nick.

If you buy a really BIG watch everyone will think you are a PILOT. Seriously though, you should have a stopwatch. You will be surprised how it can help your flying.( fuel monitoring and circuit flying Etc) Have a digital on Zulu 24 hour presentation and just add the right figure to get local which you get a rough idea of by watching the suns position. Do radio calls in minutes ( unless more than one hour.) elapses...Nev

Guest Andys@coffs

Because time specified as ZULU is just 9999Z if you want it local and you want someone to read it as unambiguously as possible then if a local time is specified then the timezone modifier needs to be identified and here's a list of those (but not complete cause it only deals with whole hours, and CST for example doesn't appear cause that's only a 30 minute delta......just imagine the mess if we used all of these (Don't think RAAus think all aviation in Australia including those that fly regularly across time zone denominators)

Andy

If you can't understand Zulu time how on earth do you understand our lical times. In summer time NSW and Vic go an hour ahead, but they don't seem to know that it is not called Eastern Standard Time, so we see a time as EST which is really daylight saving time.

I don't know if it the governments or newspapers or just some odd ball journo, but in summer time it is hard to work out what they are talking about. Zulu is easy.

If you can't understand Zulu time how on earth do you understand our lical times. In summer time NSW and Vic go an hour ahead, but they don't seem to know that it is not called Eastern Standard Time, so we see a time as EST which is really daylight saving time.I don't know if it the governments or newspapers or just some odd ball journo, but in summer time it is hard to work out what they are talking about. Zulu is easy.

It's actually called Eastern Standard Summer Time, so we aren't confused. I work with US companies, so need to keep a chart of our EST, ESST and their EST, Eastern Daylight Savings Time, and cross reference what time it is there when the startup and end dates overlap, now THAT requires some study.

I can see where you might have difficulty, not having a changeover date to bring it all front of mind, but it's all there on the web.

Having said all that, Zulu time removes all doubt.

• Agree 1

Guest Andys@coffs

The Airforce got over this issue by using local time followed by 1 or 2 letters (26 letters 24 timezones) if the timezone is a 1/2hour timezone then use two letters IJ for example. It covered every possibility world wide except for understanding when looking at a time as written as to whether it was or wasn't daylight saving.

Daylight saving would be OK if the application dates were fixed hard and fast but they aren't, years ago when the Sydney Olympics were on Australia fasttracked daylight saving (presumably for commercial purposes) and in SA catching the Red eye to Sydney was almost so flogging early that the sun hadn't yet gone down from the last night it seemed...anyway the point is that unless you have a list of on and off times per year you couldn't revert to Zulu time accurately

Andy

Once an aircraft called Darwin Tower to ask the time...here was the answer...

" unidentified aircraft, if you are Quantas the time is 0445 Zulu. If you are Connellan, it's 2.15 pm. If you are RAAus, the little hand is on the 2 and the big hand is on the 3."

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Once an aircraft called Darwin Tower to ask the time...here was the answer..." unidentified aircraft, if you are Quantas the time is 0445 Zulu. If you are Connellan, it's 2.15 pm. If you are RAAus, the little hand is on the 2 and the big hand is on the 3."

Quantus ?

• Like 1

There's no twilight in the tropics. One minute it is light and next the sun has gone. Victoria gets an effective twilight, as well as Tasmania. Nev

What's twilight got to do with clock tampering, sorry.... 'daylight shaving'.

Using local time instead of Zulu would be a bit like using AGL instead of AMSL for height. Local time and AGL are a constantly moving target while Zulu and AMSL stay the same. Stick to the standard and everybody is on the same page....no confusion.

• Agree 9

It's actually called Eastern Standard Summer Time, so we aren't confused. I work with US companies, so need to keep a chart of our EST, ESST and their EST, Eastern Daylight Savings Time, and cross reference what time it is there when the startup and end dates overlap, now THAT requires some study..

TP , Its actually AEST - Australian Eastern Standard Time and AEDT - Australian Eastern Daylight Time ... Bob

Today I was briefing for my next Nav. I got the ARFOR for area 40. I am flying into Ballina on Sunday, so I looked at the TAF for Ballina, and I noticed something I have not seen before. TAF was as follows:

TAF COR YBNA 242335Z 2423/2512

(rest of forecast)

Did not know what COR was, neither did my instructor. So we looked it up in the AIP, and find it means corrected. There is no explanation of corrected in AIP, so my instructor said we should call the BOM for clarification. They were awesome and told us exactly what it means. So if in doubt, call the BOM. We used the number in the ARFOR.

FWIW. a correction v amendment. Correction is for a mistake in the forecast, amendment is for a change. The guy from BOM in BNE said he would just amend the forecast, but some meteorologists will put it in as a correction. The Ballina forecast (which is right on the border of area 40) is a handled by the office in Sydney.

• Informative 3

Good advice Pearo. We get COR every couple of weeks or so.

The BOM dude was really good. I think he was actually excited because someone was showing interest in what he does! It had a positive effect on me, because next time I have a query about a forecast I will just give them a call for clarification rather than just second guessing it.

• Like 2