Guess This Aircraft ?

Here's a little background to my mystery photo. One of the people involved in the design of this aircraft was Chauncey M. Vought.When he signed his first pilot's certificate, he used the first name Chance, hence the company Chance Vought which went on to build many military aircraft for the USAF. As for the plane, it flew a few times between August and November, 1911, at Cicero Park, Chicago.

1509877332_chaunceyVought.JPG.2b5a5b387f5e803a2dcd1a9db75b14b3.JPG

The involvement in this aircraft no doubt had some influence in the design of the Vought XF5U Flying Pancake, or flapjack.

Nope, weird one.

So some hints - of the cryptic kind

1. it is an ultralight

2. it's name and that of the follow on design are the names of birds ... the follow on used the wings from this one

3. it's designers name is what it is NOT constructed of

4. the engines were made by a company named for big pebbles and where you draw water

So over to you ... and probably google

Yep. Flipped. Contrast adjusted and rego removed. Have to make it half challenging in the age of google.

Well done. I like the idea of the rail - drifter esk with low wing.

Ekranoplan. I think that's the class of aircraft, not sure if it's the name of this one. Sorry - found it. Bartini Beriev VVA-14 antisubmarine vertical take-off amphibious aircraft prototype.

• Agree 1

Ekranoplan. I think that's the class of aircraft, not sure if it's the name of this one. Sorry - found it. Bartini Beriev VVA-14 antisubmarine vertical take-off amphibious aircraft prototype.

Peter, you were right in the first instance as well. The VVA-14 was designed as a prototype VTOL anti- missile carrying submarine platform. It had two top mounted forward thrust engines (same family as the MiG-21 and Il-76) and twelve lifting turbojets. It also had inflatable floats. It never did achieve VTOL capability and was eventually abandoned as a project.

The first prototype never had the lifting engines fitted and was eventually modified for use as a ground effect Ekranoplan designated VVA-14M1P.

Photo below gives a good view of the inflatable floats (replaced by metal in the Ekranoplan).

vva14-11.jpg.5fe6725f9b5d605b98f1f8c6f7493f5a.jpg

I think this hull at Monino museum might be the remains of the Ekranoplan version.

vva14-2.jpg.5c175b1ae263b0f5d7c058b1527ed0a9.jpg

vva14-7.jpg.3dc47068c20da9f37682e948b500bb93.jpg