Guess This Aircraft ?

Not sure if this will work - I've tried some some devious tricks to get around Google image search.

[ATTACH=full]53358[/ATTACH]

Sure looks Photo-shopped to me. Note the change in the base white, and in the flash.

It's been photoshopped to prevent google reverse image lookup ... it is a real plane and I recall the development of this as part of the radar suite for one of the aircraft I remember reading about ... and I cannot for the life of me recall it at the moment ... if memory serves its not what you expect and its infuriating me!

Thanks birds eyeTU134ULB crew trainer for radar operators.

Almost correct, it's a Tu-134UBL. It's the standard Tu-134 airliner fuselage with a Tu-160 front end. Used for crew training for the Tu-160 supersonic bomber.

The only photoshopping was removal of the flag on the tail and the lettering along the side of the fuselage.

What does my head in with this thread (okay, so it was already that way, but you know what I mean) is the sheer number, variety and diversity of machines that have been developed, built and flown (more or less). Just think of the energy that went into every one of those..........!!!

• Agree 3
  • Winner 1

What does my head in with this thread (okay, so it was already that way, but you know what I mean) is the sheer number, variety and diversity of machines that have been developed, built and flown (more or less). Just think of the energy that went into every one of those..........!!!

Totally agree, IBob; it's mind boggling when you look at the thousands of designs developed over the years. The amount of work that goes into it is certainly hard to get the head around. I remember reading a book on the development of the F-4 Phantom, where McDonnell had something like 4,000 engineers working on the project. Another example is Titanium Valley in Russia, where 1,000 Russian engineers and 600 Russian scientists are working for Boeing. The worldwide number of people working in design, development and manufacturing for Boeing alone must be enormous.

• Caution 1

[ATTACH=full]53366[/ATTACH]

As for the aircraft: as usual I have no idea. It looks as though it wants to be fast...but why are they wearing pith helmets? And what is that circular disk showing just to the upper left of the hatch door?

IBob:Then there's the home built, most go unrecognized, just happy to get it finished!.

spacesailor

Um yes. My own (kitset) build has stalled, though I'm really hoping to finish it this year....

You've got me beat with your twin, kasper.

This unconventional plane actually flew successfully a number of times. It was built by a company that went on to be a famous manufactrer. Extra points for naming the maker.

cicero.JPG.e7fb456f8166a15160834511aea8db5b.JPG

Ok - a real plane that actually few and was an ultralight - modified to remove rego number and defeat google image search[ATTACH=full]53368[/ATTACH]

Bump - no guesses?