Guess This Aircraft ?

Had a whizz (so to speak) in something smaller than that....in the Bristol estuary, I think, early 60s?Don't know what it would have been...(

Thinking more about my previous post, I think the SRN4 was the car carrier across the channel, the IOW one was the smaller SRN6!

Thinking more about my previous post, I think the SRN4 was the car carrier across the channel, the IOW one was the smaller SRN6!

Dunno...SRN5?

Bit of a waste of time: spat shingle all over the beach, and never made it out of ground effect..........(

• Haha 1

Dunno...SRN5?Bit of a waste of time: spat shingle all over the beach, and never made it out of ground effect..........(

Just Googled it, definitely SRN6 and to Ryde on IOW. Apparently still operating, at least until recently.

The motor looks like an Anzani . Engines had problems down there with oil turning solid due to the very low temps. Later planes used crankcase oil dilution where just before shutdown a quantity of avgas was injected into the engine cases . This mixed with the lube oil in the motor and stopped it going solid. Once restarted the volatile avgas evaporated out of the oil and as long as it's kept running all is well. In Alaska they light fires under the engines or did. They might have something more exotic these days. Nev

Had a ‘flight’ in one from Southsea across the Solent to the Isle of Wight many years ago. Don’t remember the destination town!

Well done Guys. . . .I had many 'flights' on these beasts,. . .they were extremely uncomfortable I thought, but lots of fun. . .Cow of a ride mate, ( To Ryde - NOT Cowes, I.O.W. ! )

Yes! In a way that the hottest girl (or guy) in a bar says that they have to go, but will meet you tomorrow night there at the same time.So, no. 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Oh...you have that problem too, Bex???.........(

That was my first guess ... but don’t think it as the shroud

Always had the shroud, ran fast too. 3 of them were completed. One of them fell apart at high speed at Reno, killed the pilot.

You might be thinking of Pushy Galore that was based on a Miller but de-shrouded. Some men think that pushys should be de-shrouded.

Always had the shroud, ran fast too. 3 of them were completed. One of them fell apart at high speed at Reno, killed the pilot.You might be thinking of Pushy Galore that was based on a Miller but de-shrouded. Some men think that pushys should be de-shrouded.

Ah yes. That’s the one I remember - oh well I will trust my ffirst instincts next time