Clear Mind, Clear Prop

Human factors are things like

Avoiding alcohol prior to flyign and allowing enough time after a big night out to be sufficiently rested and hydrated, knowing how many drinks can be had and how long they take to get out of your system. The effects of drugs etc.

Hydration and food to avoid dehydration, food poisoning, hunger, low blood pressure and sugar

Stress management so that you fly with a clear head

Following procedures so that you dont forget things...eg: having preflight check lists, following maintenance procedures, hanging tools back on peg boards so they done get left under the cowl, double checking you tightened bolts or reattached cables etc..

Flying in a safe manner , being courteous and not aggressive, knowing when to turn back, when pushing on is dangerous and not being a hero or crazy idiot

Knowign how to avoid hypoxia, knowing what factors may cause you to have hypoxia at lower altitudes than someone else

Knowing the signs of cardiac problems, food poisoning etc...

Knowing your VMC minima prior to take off and having a plan for accident IMC

Taking the right maps, checking you have paperwork, weight and balance calcs, good fuel calcs etc

etc etc

Basically

anything where your body, or brain can make a mess of things. These can be things you do in the air or things during planning , maintenance or while taxiing and refueling

• Informative 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you are coming up with a lot of things. I'm not setting myself up as a judge. Good stuff..

Another ... IF you are getting angry in the air about someone ( something) snap out of that.

Another...... Don't time your arrival at a place you haven't been to if you have to land into the sun..

And..... Don't assume your fuel hasn't been stolen when you leave your plane somewhere..

Don't work on your engine when someone is talking to you.

I reckon an on line interactive programme could be produced if we were fair dinkum about this.

Anyhow Education before Enforcement. The best way to avoid confusion is make the rules clear CASA and actually know WHY things happen as they do in a plane, when you are flying it. Nev

But CASA being run by ex-RAAF its all about using the big stick, not the carrot. And the RAA being run by flight instructors is all about bleeding money out of pilots. Its hard to see things changing without a change at the the top and that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Not too sure medical issues feature highly in our accidents and be careful going there, CASA believes theres a solid process for reducing this.... Medicals.

Videos are a great idea and would work well however having done a few are not cheap. Easy cost several thou each and process is slow. Members complain about costs of visit to airport and $5 vests. Total grant from CASA for this is $10K I read.

Youve also got plenty here saying they cant download a pdf magazine so not sure a video is going to be a good tool overall but maybe form part of the mix

Maybe as part of update email a single HF is investigated and discussed in a 1/2 page article.

An important point is that we will never solve HF issues, just reduce them. Its likely accidents of all sorts involve one or more HF so it isnt necessary to analyse and define them. They are always there and not being aware of that is part of the problem.

As Nev said they are even part of on ground activities even by others.

• Agree 1

Videos are easy and cheap...Its the information in them that is vital, not the production skills. I produce instructional videos all the time, shoot them with my iphone and not even any lighting.. and any CASA or RAA member is capable of doing so..

Once they knew the content they could make edit and upload it in under an hour at no expense other than wages of that one person. They can than have it transcribed and the full transcript posted below the video. Those members that cant cope with this can have it emailed to them or even posted via snail mail. or the transcript can be placed in the monthly magazine.

I also teach others how to do it ...it really is easy now, its the fastest cheapest and easiest method to produce engaging content.

• Agree 2

The more I read, the more it sounds like airmanship.

Yes - airmanship, commonsense and rat cunning, all gained through experience. The idea of HF training is to accelerate the process by learning through other people's experience and mistakes.

• Like 1

Yes - airmanship, commonsense and rat cunning, all gained through experience. The idea of HF training is to accelerate the process by learning through other people's experience and mistakes.

Accelerate the experience even faster, let everyone else go first, or let fools rush in.

Really? Let me know how many have made a fortune out of it. Most are in it for the love of if and yes they have to survive.

Doing it for love doesn't mean you are doing a good job, the RAA really lacks leadership. Look how well the high viz day went down.

one recent change: RAA instructors are unable to instruct in #19 aircraft, one giant step forward for RAA safety.

• Like 1

I think we know what it is, just not how to make it work

Actually agree with that statement.....I've had to work with human factors training for years now. The concept is great, like LEAN, but woefully executed in Australia. It really has only been a box ticking, lip service process

One suggestion would be a series of short videos that focus on known common problems and solutions... maybe 5 minutes each... mandate that you have to watch one or two every month... that way we stay current and they can supply us with crucial information that may just save our lives...If next month they discover lots of accidents are being caused by poor XYZ, they can alert us to the fact, require us to watch it and we all come out for the better... We dont need hundred thousand dollar hollywood productions , just the relevant information and a great solution

In the marketing world we call them crunchy solutions...ie things that you can chew on, things that you immediately feel more empowered by...not theory.

Eg: For clients with high blood pressure in stressful jobs we advise that they

Take the steps at least two floors every time before getting in the elevator

That they stand when on stressful phone calls and that they walk at least 200m every time they feel and adrenaline rush...

There is an example of a known problem and three crunchy solutions

completely disagree, this is exactly what makes it poorly executed, having suffered " death by PowerPoint", and short videos followed by group discussion for around 11 years now, it breeds contempt and hatred.

Human factors has little to do with "airmanship" and a lot to do with understanding the "human" limitations like fatigue and distractions, and learning how to recognise and avoid them. The "Dirty Dozen" are often quoted. Feel free to google that.

• Like 1

Doing it for love doesn't mean you are doing a good job, the RAA really lacks leadership. Look how well the high viz day went down.one recent change: RAA instructors are unable to instruct in #19 aircraft, one giant step forward for RAA safety.

Agree the high viz thing was ridiculous. Only being able to instruct in factory aircraft has been in for a long time. The only exception is that the builder can be taught in his own aircraft. CASA though says the owner of a GA home built aircraft can be taught, even if he was not the builder.

Agree the high viz thing was ridiculous. Only being able to instruct in factory aircraft has been in for a long time. The only exception is that the builder can be taught in his own aircraft. CASA though says the owner of a GA home built aircraft can be taught, even if he was not the builder.

And why is there this exception, we may well wonder???

Actually agree with that statement.....I've had to work with human factors training for years now. The concept is great, like LEAN, but woefully executed in Australia. It really has only been a box ticking, lip service processcompletely disagree, this is exactly what makes it poorly executed, having suffered " death by PowerPoint", and short videos followed by group discussion for around 11 years now, it breeds contempt and hatred.

Human factors has little to do with "airmanship" and a lot to do with understanding the "human" limitations like fatigue and distractions, and learning how to recognise and avoid them. The "Dirty Dozen" are often quoted. Feel free to google that.

I too hate death by powerpoint...and im not for a moment proposing that... Thats why i said...tell us the problem with crunchy instantly actionable solutions, less than 5 minutes and not theory.

I too hate death by powerpoint...and im not for a moment proposing that... Thats why i said...tell us the problem with crunchy instantly actionable solutions, less than 5 minutes and not theory.

Perhaps physically demonstrating the human limitations might be of some use. The gorilla demonstration, for example, is useful but it can only be used once

• Agree 1