Joined the aerial butchers club today

Made mince meat out of this one:

Serious side, scared the crap out of me. Was doing some circuits to practice shortfield landings. I had just turned final and this thing took a massive dive, no avoiding it at all. First RRM for me. I decided that I would change my T&G to a full stop!! After landing a good inspection of the aircraft showed no damage, but I think the LAME is going to inspect it regardless.

Not sure what species it was, but it was about the size of a magpie.

• Winner 3

have you notified casa I believe all bird strikes must be reported

Yeah, its been reported. Technically you only have to report it at certified and registered aerodromes, but its club policy to report it.

• Like 1

Made mince meat out of this one:

Serious side, scared the crap out of me. Was doing some circuits to practice shortfield landings. I had just turned final and this thing took a massive dive, no avoiding it at all. First RRM for me. I decided that I would change my T&G to a full stop!! After landing a good inspection of the aircraft showed no damage, but I think the LAME is going to inspect it regardless.

Not sure what species it was, but it was about the size of a magpie.

It must have gone through the prop to hit the front of the cowl. Was there any prop damage?

It must have gone through the prop to hit the front of the cowl. Was there any prop damage?

It dived on me and missed the prop altogether. We did look closely at the prop, but no blood or feathers or any indication that it struck the prop.

I don't see how it could have hit the cowl without going through the prop arc. However the blade's LE's are pretty blunt near the spinner and of course going a lot slower than the tips, so if it struck near the root it could have been thumped by one and driven back into the cowl without any blood & guts on the prop.

It turns out there is quite a lot of space between the blades of your prop as this guy shows, he only manages to burst the baloon 1 time in about 4

It's quite possible that the bird didn't touch the prop at all on it's way to the cowling.

Michael

I'd be wary of balloons...

Regularly used to go for dunny rolls, then figured maybe balloons would go down slower, typical dunny roll goes down around 600fpm! (until unravelled)

Tossed out a balloon one time, it bounced of the wing twice, could swear it came through the prop arc once, but finally I hit it with the prop, AND IT DAMN NEAR STOPPED THE ENGINE!

This was in my old 503 powered Cricket.

streamer.jpg.1c48ae172788f32ad9f22f0e44dfea70.jpg

Hint; Don't streamer cut using super soft multi ply toilet paper, it doesn't break, it just sticks to everything!

• Haha 1

I'd be wary of balloons...Regularly used to go for dunny rolls, then figured maybe balloons would go down slower, typical dunny roll goes down around 600fpm! (until unravelled)

Tossed out a balloon one time, it bounced of the wing twice, could swear it came through the prop arc once, but finally I hit it with the prop, AND IT DAMN NEAR STOPPED THE ENGINE!

This was in my old 503 powered Cricket.

[ATTACH=full]39548[/ATTACH]

Hint; Don't streamer cut using super soft multi ply toilet paper, it doesn't break, it just sticks to everything!

I got all excited for a moment there Pylon: looked like your beast was fitted with an enormous ducted fan!

Well a bit of rag nearly stops a lawnmower. I've never tossed out a toilet roll which was not an unravelled length . A whole dunny roll would be spectacular if you could catch it.. Those little white hard to blow up balloons stop babies. Nev

• Haha 1

Well a bit of rag nearly stops a lawnmower. I've never tossed out a toilet roll which was not an unravelled length . A whole dunny roll would be spectacular if you could catch it.. Those little white hard to blow up balloons stop babies. Nev

Ah Nev, now you have got me invoking memories of the nearly forgotten art of streamer cutting competitions. RACWA used to host some pretty hotly contested streamer cutting events over the years, with some pretty proficient pilots. The C150/152 Aerobats used to get quite a tweaking, with flicking out of a turn a not uncommon occurrence. A Tiger in the right hands held no peer. The Airtourer was competitive if you could overcome having to open the canopy. The Fuji was the equivalent to heading to the gym for a good weights workout!

Choice of dunny rolls was a critical decision. The 1000 sheet single ply, as used in a lot of public conveniences was the universal first choice, and RACWA's purchase of a carton on Green Seal was a once only occurrence. Have not tried the <200 sheet China made contemporary rolls yet, but would not do so with confidence!! We found that if we unwound about 2-3 feet at the end before tossing them out that they unravelled well.

We learnt that cutting with the prop, or too low down on the streamer ended up with a fluff ball, something to be avoided. Cutting with the wing about six feet out from the fuse was the best, and if everything was going well it was only a few feet off the top of the streamer.

One important consideration is that if there is any possibility of foreign material around the cowl is to be careful about applying carby heat if you have choice, and the Tiger and Chippie pilots used to get very wary. Immediate post shut down checks had the cowls open and pulling out any accumulated paper away from pots and oil coolers.

It is a pity that streamer cutting has become not too common. It was great for developing flying skills, understanding an aircraft, and the odd instance of some unscripted recovery techniques.

Scattering pieces of dunny paper, especially in built up areas is not received well these days, thought there are some great stories of just where some of that paper ended up!

• Like 1

Yes I think it ( and a few other things I won't mention right now) Did teach you a lot. Balloons were done with the prop tips and the paper with the prop too. Mostly I used Chipmunks and Tigers as I didn't worry about pulling "G" with them. The sharpest turn is at the slowest speed, and I recall using flaps quite a bit. (where fitted). So much of the good stuff has gone. When I got into instructing later in Tigers by choice, they were not used as initial trainers and almost nobody wanted to fly in them. When you get to fly with people who hadn't flown T/W before, you would end up in some weird situations, with little warning.. Nev

Yes. Good fun.

Most of my streamer cutting has been in C150 or C170.

Start at 3000' and don't follow it below 1000' agl.

Old style govt. issue toilet paper is best for streamers (but not particularly good for its' intended purpose). It was a bit like greaseproof paper and streams really well. Can you still get it?

Had a bit of streamer cover the pitot tube once. No real problem.... power + attitude = performance. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

DWF 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif