RAA Altitude limitations

deadstick

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So can anyone answer definitively:- is the R endorsement on an RAA certificate equivalent to a radio telephone operators cert? As the reg states that in order to fly above 5000 the aircraft must be fitted with a radiotelephone and the pilot must be qualified to use it.

So can anyone answer definitively:- is the R endorsement on an RAA certificate equivalent to a radio telephone operators cert? As the reg states that in order to fly above 5000 the aircraft must be fitted with a radiotelephone and the pilot must be qualified to use it.

What else can it mean? 95.55 para 8.4 is about RAAus aircraft and RAAus pilots. The "R" endorsement allows RAAus members to use the radio in RAAus aircraft.

Frank, I went back and looked again and found a later version which says:

8.4 An aeroplane, to which this Order applies, may only be flown at a height of 5 000 feet above mean sea level or higher if it is equipped with serviceable radiotelephone equipment and the pilot is qualified to use it.

(With a maximum of 10,000' which, for practical purposes is 9500')

This was at https://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2015C00091

Sorry for the misinfo. It would be nice if they made it a little easier to search for these things on the Comlaw site.

Kaz

• Agree 1

Two other things I noticed.

The requirement to have an ELT or PLB for flights greater than 50 NM

The maximum overwater distance is 25 NM (which might create a problem for crossing Bass Strait).

Kaz

• Like 1

and the plb only applies to two seat 95.55 aircraft and flight greater than 50miles and if you are in a 95.10 or 95.32 aircraft check out the other areas because 95.55 does not apply to you - helpfully they are similar

95.10 - no plb at all (they are all single seater) and height limits from 5-10k and above 10k in para 7.4 and 7.5

95.32 - plb if 2 seat and flight greater than 50 miles, 5-10k and above 10k in para 8.4 and 8.5

The maximum overwater distance is 25 NM (which might create a problem for crossing Bass Strait).

Keep reading - there is a further exemption to this limit for crossing between the mainland & Tasmania

Cheers

John

Compliance with hemispherical levels appears to be a problem with some. Basic level Nav training and certificates obtained before the 5000ft limit was lifted may well be a reason but not an excuse (throw in class E and transponder requirements, & correct area freq monitoring).

An understanding of what IFR traffic is doing is imperative at these levels, at least IMO, especially when visibility is limited.

• Agree 1

I recently started to tabulate a quick reference guide for these sorts of questions and wanted to reference it back to specific information sources;

This how far I got with the draft - I would certainly appreciate some assistance (please) in expanding and checking it.

[GALLERY=media, 3664]Where-do-you-plan-to-fly-draft1 by BlurE posted Dec 21, 2015 at 9:48 AM[/GALLERY]

• Like 4
  • Informative 1

Compliance with hemispherical levels appears to be a problem with some. Basic level Nav training and certificates obtained before the 5000ft limit was lifted may well be a reason but not an excuse (throw in class E and transponder requirements, & correct area freq monitoring).An understanding of what IFR traffic is doing is imperative at these levels, at least IMO, especially when visibility is limited.

If visibility is limited maybe we shouldn't be there.

If visibility is limited maybe we shouldn't be there

Geoff

IFR is the flight rules under which the flight is conducted and can be completed in perfect conditions. What Frank is talking about is all charter & RPT is conducted under IFR so you need to have an understanding of what they are doing, their cruising levels, speeds etc.

Aldo

GeoffIFR is the flight rules under which the flight is conducted and can be completed in perfect conditions. What Frank is talking about is all charter & RPT is conducted under IFR so you need to have an understanding of what they are doing, their cruising levels, speeds etc.

Aldo

I understood that Aldo. My comment was aimed at us the vfr pilots. Frank said we need to be aware of these things especially when visibility is limited. I agree but as rec pilots if visibility is limited then maybe we shouldn't be there. Stay home and go out when visibility is better.

Blur E... A reference as you have was something I always found necessary. Make sure none of it is ever out of date and add as required for YOUR operations. Nev

I think the summary format will be useful, but I am having trouble finding the exact reference for some of the requirements.

- Like the restriction to factory build over built up areas?

- or I thought over 5000 and class E both required a transponder as well as radio?

I am trying to walk the line between being very brief and complete.

• Agree 1

BlurE. I am aware of the requirement for a transponder for Class E, but it is news to me that it must be a factory built aircraft. I havn't been looking for this info as I fly an Experimental in class E. Maybe if you are correct I shouldn't.

BlurE. I am aware of the requirement for a transponder for Class E, but it is news to me that it must be a factory built aircraft. I havn't been looking for this info as I fly an Experimental in class E. Maybe if you are correct I shouldn't

Yenn, I think that is exactly the point. Because I only have only flown 24 reg I am not certain either.

These are pieces of things I have been told or think I have been read somewhere - that give pieces of this puzzle. I just want to bring it all together into my little table and be totally certain of each piece.