Good or Bad Thing ????

Ron5335

If, as the article refers to, Dick Smith stands for Parliament. How effective would he be as an independent trying to implement change, if the Government had a clear majority ?

Then again, he firstly has to get elected in the seat, and How many voters in that seat see aviation as a primary issue? (Kind of a one trick pony)

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2016/01/21/00/55/dick-smith-considering-running-against-bronwyn-bishop-report

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, they both like using helicopters. Difference being Dick pays for his own.

As an independent he has a strong position to horse-trade with the government in order to push his own barrow. Your qualifier "if the Government had a clear majority" would take the wind out of that statement of course.

Regardless, my personal view is that a stuffed chook would make a better MP than Bronnie, so all I can say is "Up with Dick!!"

• Agree 2
  • Haha 1
  • Caution 1

Clive's in a bit of a Pickle. C0ck of the walk one day a feather duster the next. It wasn't long ago he did the Bye Bye Bronnie thing. No one would really predict the instability of the mining industry to the extent it has happened would they? Nev

• Agree 1

I would imagine that Dick's a Conservative, so, I think that he would vote with the Conservatives on the majority of matters, and only speak out on his hobby-horse interests. He's the sort of person you think you could trust to be free of Party influence. It does not concern me who is the local member for those seats north of the harbour. I don't live up there.

OME

well he couldnt run his buisness to keep it profitable so he will fit in fine with government. Probably fit in fine next to Clive - His business gives him 20Mil or something stupid for a political donation and now he puts his refinery into recieverhip and now it doesnt look like bills are going to be paid or redundancies paid.

Not sure how Dick Smith is going with paying bills at moment but sounds like a good political move to me.

Asset stripping before a company goes under is nothing new....

Please remember that it's not just you who can be held responsible for defamatory comments...the site owner is also vulnerable.

Kaz

• Agree 4

well he couldnt run his buisness to keep it profitable so he will fit in fine with government. Probably fit in fine next to Clive - His business gives him 20Mil or something stupid for a political donation and now he puts his refinery into recieverhip and now it doesnt look like bills are going to be paid or redundancies paid.Not sure how Dick Smith is going with paying bills at moment but sounds like a good political move to me.

Dick Smith the person has had nothing to do with Dick Smith the company for decades.

Kaz

• Agree 10
  • Helpful 1
  • Informative 2

I think a lot of people expected a turnaround, metal prices have been cyclic forever. But there are no rewards for the truth, pollies and sharebrokers and everyone else make money by telling us the future will be rosy.

Not to the current extent. Nickel is a metal we will need as long as good steels are made. It used to be $10,000 a tonne and that's not adjusted for inflation. We are selling ores at such a low price they should be left in the ground if you had a realistic ASSET market situation. Nev

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

Not to the current extent. Nickel is a metal we will need as long as good steels are made. It used to be $10,000 a tonne and that's not adjusted for inflation. We are selling ores at such a low price they should be left in the ground if you had a realistic ASSET market situation. Nev

...any ore is worth many times more if we value add- or are Australians only able to dig holes in the ground?

Our leaders should consider saving that nickel refinery. The media tells us the taxpayer will be slugged to close it, clean up the mess and compensate the workforce. A clever country might do its sums and decide it cheaper to keep it open, keep those workers and all the associated subies employed.

• Agree 1