How to reverse a trailer.

planedriver

Saw a lot of double road trains over the last few days up in Queensland, some as little as 40 mm over length so they cart a dolly around with them to qualify for extra length.

B Doubles were humping like kangaroo dogs on the rough black soil based roads, but five axles in the middle instead of three seems to stop the humping.

Gobsmacked at how well those guys were reversing dollies on the back of their trailers for coupling.

At an accident scene I once watched a bloke reverse a B-double almost a kilometre.

I have done that, but Robbo is going to do it blindfolded for us.

When people come to me looking for a job, if they mention that they have driving Road Trains (which 90% of potential drivers claim to have done), I have a little test.

I park a B/Double in an open area, put witches hats on both sides and ask them to reverse it through a full circle back into the same spot.

Only ever had 1 person get it in one go and she continued through the circle and did a figure 8.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

I'm jealous. it can take me half an hour to reverse a trailer into my driveway. people say it's easy to reverse a trailer, but if you don't have that skill, it's not.

I just deliberately do the opposite to what I think I should do, and it seems to work. Mostly.

My advice to people reversing a trailer is this.

Sit straight in the seat and use your mirrors, don't look over your shoulder it will confuse you.

Place your dominant hand on the bottom centre of the steering wheel.

Watch the rear of the trailer, if you want the rear of the trailer to go right move your hand to the right and vice versa.

If you are driving a B/Double simply move your dominant hand to the top centre of the steering wheel.

And just like flying, practice practice practice.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

My advice to people reversing a trailer is this.Sit straight in the seat and use your mirrors, don't look over your shoulder it will confuse you.

Place your dominant hand on the bottom centre of the steering wheel.

Watch the rear of the trailer, if you want the rear of the trailer to go right move your hand to the right and vice versa.

If you are driving a B/Double simply move your dominant hand to the top centre of the steering wheel.

And just like flying, practice practice practice.

that sounds great, I will try it.

What about this bloke

Video is in post #4. As you can see at the end, the special "trailer" is the towing vehicle, and the VW is the "trailer".

After the embarrassment and potential financial loss to Volkswagen caused by their Engine Management team they were reassigned to develop a simple trailer reversing system. After a year of research they finally developed a cheat trailer to showcase their talents.

• Haha 3
  • Winner 1