"developer faces jail for flying plane"????

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Murdoch on the way out of the newspaper business; amazing he thought we were dumb enough to pay the same subscription for electronic news which doesn't require trucks to bring newspaper rolls in from paper mills, print presses and the huge production staff to produce a newspaper, a fleet of vehicles and drivers to deliver it to newsagents, and newsagent costs to deliver it to individual homes.

• Agree 5

yeah, having it behind the paywall is annoying. The headline mentions allegations that he "illegally flew and lied in an application for a pilot's licence", would be interesting to get the facts from a source other than a murdoch paper.

• Agree 1

I took it from the story that he was flying the aircraft without a licence AND also lied at the time he went for his student licence.

This sounds like CAR 228 might have bitten him.

Many people have ignored CAR 228 and have gotten away with it; it is designed to ensure that if you are not the PIC you don't "have a fly", and if you do have a fly, you'll be supervised by an instructor who has the necessary training and skills to recover the aircraft from unusual attitudes.

I remember a guy who gave me a right spray when I raised this from something he'd reported here. He went on doing what he wanted to do and cracked up his own aircraft, anding his time as a recreational pilot.

S1452.jpg.7c04891586b11902a67da0d035baaa83.jpg

I would like to know what issue he allegedly lied about on his student pilots licence application in 2013 that couldn't be sorted out without wasting valuable court time and taxpayers money..

Probably lied about his health, given his age.

And we wonder why private flying is gradually withering on the vine - referring to the prohibition on letting someone have a go behind the controls. I and most of my flying friends were introduced to that most persistent of bugs, the flying bug via a generous friend who said; "here have a go", but no a hundred years of overwhelmingly positive experiences has to be weighed against the idiot who decided to teach his mate, or was it girlfriend to fly. You'd swear that you could legislate against stupidity or recklessness the way these regulations proliferate.

• Agree 2
  • Winner 3

I and most of my flying friends were introduced to that most persistent of bugs, the flying bug via a generous friend who said; "here have a go",

Eggs zacker lee.

Shirley this is a case of a Guy just taking the stick for a bit?

When I saw the lead-in, I thought for sure he must have taken off, flown and landed by himself.

• Caution 1

Probably lied about his health, given his age.

or his age... and this was supposed to be 3 years ago... has he now got a licence/medical? and CASA have cancelled everything back to his SPL?

making every flight he has undertaken illegal?

Come on Bruce, is it the story making you sick or the slant being put on it by this thread? If he had just manipulated the controls the penalty is 25 points, not jail. If he had done this wouldn't the pilot in charge also be in trouble? Perhaps we need just a bit more information before condemning the prosecutors.

What I hate is the destruction of our freedoms as we lurch towards a police state under the guise of "safety".

"Live free or die" is not my original thought, but it sums up my attitude these days.

I reckon we owe it to those forbears who fought against fascists to resist this sort of encroachment.

The next thing will be to ban owner maintenance of aircraft.

• Agree 3

What I hate is the destruction of our freedoms as we lurch towards a police state under the guise of "safety"."Live free or die" is not my original thought, but it sums up my attitude these days.

I reckon we owe it to those forbears who fought against fascists to resist this sort of encroachment.

The next thing will be to ban owner maintenance of aircraft.

The CAR has been around for a LONG time Bruce, weren't you examined on this when you did your training?

• Like 1

There was a training session once for wives who happened to be there when their bloke became incapacitated flying the plane.

I thought it was a good idea at the time and I still do.

And Turbs, I don't think that sort of stuff was in my training and nor should it have been. I was learning how to fly the plane and not become a lawyer. Maybe there was a box to tick where agreed you had read the appropriate regulations.

To me, the legal aspects of the pilots certificate were very secondary and I would have done the training anyway. The training was great value and good fun.

What I am saying is that prison is an obscene and inappropriate punishment for any safety infringement. Prisons are very dangerous places. Those who would inflict this punishment need punishment themselves.

An appropriate punishment for the guy in this thread would be an imposition... like to copy out a hundred pages of the regulations, or pay a couple of hundred dollars fine in default.

• Agree 2

There was a training session once for wives who happened to be there when their bloke became incapacitated flying the plane.I thought it was a good idea at the time and I still do.

I think it's a good idea too; your instructor will do that legally and competently, and it has always been available.

And Turbs, I don't think that sort of stuff was in my training and nor should it have been. I was learning how to fly the plane and not become a lawyer.

You study the legislation (CARs etc) and should be tested on it before you do your first solo, so you've got some studying to do.

You are not studying this to become a lawyer, you are studying it so you operate the aircraft safely for yourself, but more importantly for your passengers and other aircraft out there.

It should stun me to see what you wrote but I know from repeated posts here that quite a few wouldn't have a clue of the difference between a car and a CAR unless someone beeped the horn.

What I am saying is that prison is an obscene and inappropriate punishment for any safety infringement. Prisons are very dangerous places. Those who would inflict this punishment need punishment themselves.An appropriate punishment for the guy in this thread would be an imposition... like to copy out a hundred pages of the regulations, or pay a couple of hundred dollars fine in default.

As someone else mentioned, the normal penalty for manipulating the controls without a licence is 25 points - about $4,500.00 currently, so this incidence must have had serious consequences, which we haven't been made aware of yet.

Turbs, you will win a bottle of SA red as a prize from me if you can tell me of just one CAR that I don't know and that would make me safer. I am quite well aware of airspace stuff enough to stay out of controlled airspace. The airworthinesss stuff I reckon I know on my own account without some bureaucrat writing it up as regulations. Radio procedures I know well enough to be quite safe entering a CTAF or new circuit area.

If you can't come up with one useful CAR, then let me suggest I like Coonawarra red if you feel humbled enough to donate a prize yourself.

But I have to say I really like your idea of volunteer free inspections of our planes once a year or so. (For other's information, I am not referring to a repeat annual inspection, just an hour or so where a trained RAAus member goes through a checklist ). That would do a lot for safety and it would damage the case for removing maintenance from owners and amateurs. But it's not in a CAR so that one won't win the prize.