HOWARD HUGHES - RIP

Sadly I have just learned that Howard Hughes died last evening at around 7:00 pm from Cancer. Howies passing is an immense loss to the Australian Aviation community and to Australian Lightwing. A true inventor and innovator.

I did not know him personally but everyone spoke fondly of him. I am sure there are many here that would wish to pay tribute.

R.I.P. Howie.

• Informative 10

Sadly I have just learned that Howard Hughes died last evening at around 7:00 pm from Cancer. Howies passing is an immense loss to the Australian Aviation community and to Australian Lightwing. A true inventor and innovator.I did not know him personally but everyone spoke fondly of him. I am sure there are many here that would wish to pay tribute.

RIP Howie.

R.I.P

I still remember the day I first heard about Howie.

I was still at school and I can remember a 7 news story about the Avalon Airshow and Howie was talking about the lightwing and introducting it into schools for the students to build.

Man I remember that story like yesterday but it was nearly 20 years ago.

He was so ethusiastic about aviation it really stood out in that story.

You will be missed buddy.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Howie has had an enormous influence on us. He brought a couple of his Lightwings to Tamworth Air Show a couple of decades ago; got me thinking I might be able to afford powered flight after all.

One of our club members is at this minute assembling a Lightwing in his hangar.

• Like 1

Very, Very Sad - knew him - great guy - had many ideas and then made them. Great aeroplane the Light Wing, had one and many of our guys have learnt in it . Gave me the keys to the prototype tricycle and said take it for a run and see what you think.

Lost a bit of living history and condolences to his family and the guys that worked with him in Ballina.

Everyone should have a fly next week in his honor and think of Howard Hughes.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Caution 1

Nice guy, spent a few hours with him in his factory a couple of times, very enthusiastic for new ideas, his electric Tricycle and Flying Sim at the time.

Also had a 6 seat airplane on the go, the fuse was partly done.

I have just had the pleasure if delivering a Hughes Lightwing from Wentworth in far south western New South Wales to Maryborough in Qld. Approx 780 Nautical miles over three days. Tough little plane and a credit to Mr Hughes.

Scott TAYLOR

Composite Services

150B Renmark Road

Wentworth NSW.

• Like 3

I caught up with Howie not so long ago, he didn't mention he was sick and only I learnt about his illness recently... I was meaning to get down and visit again but alas that isn't going to happen now. my association with Howie goes back many years and he was a bloody funny character and never a dull moment.. A naval engineer by trade and an outside of the box thinker, innovator and one of the pioneers of Australian recreational flying. R.I.P my friend.

• Like 2

Guest nunans

Sad to hear, my condolences to the hughes crew.

So many acheivements and such a big part of our ultralight heratige. I've had so many great times flying the lightwing with my kids and many more to come thanks to howie and his helpers.

RIP Howie

recently got the CoA for my Lightwing SP4000, sadly you'll have to see it fly from above.

condolences to the Hughes family & staff.

Andrew

• Like 1

If anyone hears of the funeral arrangements, could they post here (and/or if it is going to be held private) please?

I'm sure that many people will want to go..

• Agree 1

Very sad. I met him several times and apart from his being an aviation icon and a great musician, he was a truly funny fellow. He can no doubt see the funny side of sitting on that cloud and watching us. Great bloke.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

For anyone who would like to attend, Howards funeral is on Friday at 11am at Parkview Funeral Home (the old

McDonalds), Pacific Hwy, West Ballina.

• Helpful 1

I am genuinely very saddened with the passing of arguably one of Australia's great men in our world of ultralight, recreational and experimental aviation. Howard always had passion, vision and deadication to the 'other side' of big players in our world of what's now known as recreational aviation - Mate, you'll be sorely missed. Your inspiration, the building of many aircraft that many of us have enjoyed flying and your music andhumour are what legend's are made off - RIP old mate. In memory of a great aviator, may we celebrate his career. 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

Rodger Henry (Lightwing flyer, plus others...)

• Like 4